Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

erm... they teased it once in a design document/travelogue blog. We presumed to then see it for a split second during a dev diary KS update. Hardly teasing since the beginning--they barely mentioned it more than once.
Might wanna refresh your memory. It's literally in the Kickstarter pitch and seen in early concept art, and Yu Suzuki talked about it numerous times in the early days of development.

R2PK2Sj.png

QkebRzK.png

baisha_village_shenmue.jpg

"Baisha area changed to Fortified Castle area. Mini-games, infiltration event, battle event, investigation and battle event have been implemented in the Fortified Castle area."
Surely there can't be much investigation in one castle, no? There probably is more in the actual game we haven't seen.

OK, so discussed only a few times rather than just a couple. Oof. The video and these concepts are the two I was referring, but I'll take your word for maybe an interview or two Yu spoke of Baisha. There's plenty of plans in concept art taken from way back in the mid to late 90s, which never materialized, either.

Point still stands, it hasn't been seen or mentioned since 2016. If Baisha [edit: retrolord corrected my memory] or tulouse are indeed cut, then Fortified Castle alone feels like it'll be awesome anyway. Gotta trust Suzuki.

"Baisha area changed to Fortified Castle area. Mini-games, infiltration event, battle event, investigation and battle event have been implemented in the Fortified Castle area."
Surely there can't be much investigation in one castle, no? There probably is more in the actual game we haven't seen.
Apparently like half the dang notepad in the demo is for the castle area. It's kind of hard to believe. You'd think (or, I would) most of the game would be in Choubu.

Edit: Had to dig up Peter's post for anyone that's wondering what I'm talking about. Pretty shocking stuff. If notebook pages are a proper barometer for size, then the castle area is bigger than Kowloon, Hong Kong, and even the entirety of Shenmue 1.

Another cool detail, if you want to call it that, is that the Shenmue 3 notebook is the biggest of the series so far, coming in at 391 pages. There are 3 different area tabs, also represented by the small images at the bottom of the page, which tally up to:

Bailu Village - 82 pages
Niaowu - 72 pages
Fortified Castle - 174 pages
Notes- 56 pages
Maps - 4 pages
Phone numbers - 3 pages

Now, the Naiowu number may seem small, but i would guess that both Niaowu and the Fortified Castle areas will have interconnecting storylines, and could be seen as one huge area, hence the low numbers. Also, with the first 2 pages of the map being taken up by Bailu Village, it seems to be that the last 2 pages will include both the Niaowu and Fortified Castle locations.

To go along with the numbers, here's a comparison with the previous notebook figures:

Shenmue - 139 pages (all story)

Shenmue II - 267
Hong Kong - 118 pages
Kowloon - 82 pages
Guilin - 12 pages
Money Information - 35 pages

Finally its also worth mentioning that there may also be more lines to a page in Shenmue III, with Shenmue having 5 lines per notebook page, and Shenmue II having 8 lines per page. But until i have a full notebook page from the demo, i cannot be completely sure.

Or maybe the page number in the demo is completely arbitrary. I dunno.

Last edited:
Oh, for definite. We can't even really see past the front gate in the Niao Sun screen.

Apparently like half the dang notepad in the demo is for the castle area. It's kind of hard to believe, you'd think (or, I would) most of the game would be in Choubu.
Also this. There's a lot more going on than meets the eye with the final third of the game by the sounds of things.

Woah I hadn't noticed Peter's details for area notebook page totals. Perhaps Fortified Castle area is a decent area, but not a full robust city like Niaowu, so they dropped the Baisha name while a lot of stuffs besides the castle remains...? Or simply a ton of plot advancement to cover, too.

In the initial plats, shenmue 3 was going to be really small.
We are very very lucky!

We're gonna have a great game on hour hands in one month!

Yea, hell Yu Suzuki was worried the KS would barely hit the min goal, and he didn't think anyone at e3 would even care about a Shenmue 3(Yu Suzuki must've been high at the time or something).

Yea, Shenmue 3 is very likely going to be a masterpiece way beyond even the most optimistic person's expectations now :) It's crazy how all over the place the development projections have been, yet even so Yu Suzuki was still able to pull everything together, and keep the team on track, just wow :)

Last edited:
Yea, hell Yu Suzuki was worried the KS would barely hit the min goal, and he didn't think anyone at e3 would even care about a Shenmue 3(Yu Suzuki must've been high at the time or something).

Yea, Shenmue 3 is very likely going to be a masterpiece way beyond even the most optimistic person's expectations now :) It's crazy how all over the place the development projections have been, yet even so Yu Suzuki was still able to pull everything together, and keep the team on track, just wow :)
Yeah.
The success the Kickstarter showed companies that Shenmue still has a good audience.
Therefore not as risky as once thought to invest on.
Deep silver probably saw the potential of the game and decided to help.
We were the ones benefiting.
With only the KS money, we would't have 50% of the expirience we're gonna get.

After all, acording to the latest game informer shenmue3 preview video, Sony seems to be helping for real!
And Sega with the marketing in Japan was also unthinkable at the time!

things played out really well for us and for the franchise!

The final destiny shaping moment will be the game itself.

I'm optimistic.

Yeah.
The success the Kickstarter showed companies that Shenmue still has a good audience.
Therefore not as risky as once thought to invest on.
Deep silver probably saw the potential of the game and decided to help.
We were the ones benefiting.
With only the KS money, we would't have 50% of the expirience we're gonna get.

After all, acording to the latest game informer shenmue3 preview video, Sony seems to be helping for real!
And Sega with the marketing in Japan was also unthinkable at the time!

things played out really well for us and for the franchise!

The final destiny shaping moment will be the game itself.

I'm optimistic.
I wish Sony would call a press conference after November, and stated they are funding Shenmue 4 for exclusive rights on their PS5. It'd make sure their PS5 has 70k preorders at the least. But I want there to be a PC release too. We'll see, but I've high hopes after it goes live.

I was able to play the game with a controller just yesterday.
Man, the game feels 10 times better and more fluid.
The only thing that I don't feel is just right is the zoom feature and the snapping, feels a little bit more loose than in older games (the crosshair is really not needed also).

I was able to play the game with a controller just yesterday.
Man, the game feels 10 times better and more fluid.
The only thing that I don't feel is just right is the zoom feature and the snapping, feels a little bit more loose than in older games (the crosshair is really not needed also).

Did you play the trial? If so did movement and running animations look any better?

Also I am baffled by crosshair in first person. It’s incredibly ugly and unnecessary, I hope you can disable it in menu.

Now at 31 hours clocked in the trial.

H O W

I don't really understand the power this taster has over me. Every so often I'll think "okay, time to pack it in and wait for the full game", but then I want to check something or some footage makes me want to jump back in...

This play session was particularly great. I did what I wanted, talked to NPCs, gambled, bought capsule toys, did a few fights, and watched the moon rise over Bailu. I played Shenmue, and it was fucking great.

Now at 31 hours clocked in the trial.

H O W

I don't really understand the power this taster has over me. Every so often I'll think "okay, time to pack it in and wait for the full game", but then I want to check something or some footage makes me want to jump back in...

This play session was particularly great. I did what I wanted, talked to NPCs, gambled, bought capsule toys, did a few fights, and watched the moon rise over Bailu. I played Shenmue, and it was fucking great.

I feel if my 10 day trial of Shadow hadn’t expired I feel like I would be in same shoes as you. I’ve been playing Shenmue 2 intermittently just aimlessly wandering around and exploring areas of Hong Kong, counting down days I can get back to exploring Bailu...

Did you play the trial? If so did movement and running animations look any better?

Also I am baffled by crosshair in first person. It’s incredibly ugly and unnecessary, I hope you can disable it in menu.
Running was OK, walking had the jogging look I hope they fix. First person crosshair there was no options for in the menu. If you play on PC later, maybe they'll have a mod to disable it. It doesn't ruin the game though, just something new.

Anyone here playing the demo on PC at min specs? My current PC will only be able to handle a lower spec version of the game so I'm wondering how it looks/plays. Is it crap? Is it fine?

I don't want to read spoilers so I didn't browse the thread so forgive me if this was already discussed.

Anyone here playing the demo on PC at min specs? My current PC will only be able to handle a lower spec version of the game so I'm wondering how it looks/plays. Is it crap? Is it fine?

I don't want to read spoilers so I didn't browse the thread so forgive me if this was already discussed.
My CPU is literally below the minimum required, GPU is a bit better than the minimum, but not by a lot (RX 560). I can get nearly 60fps @1080p on the lowest graphics setting (which still looks very nice), or 30fps at the highest graphics setting. And if I wanted to drop the resolution, I can get 100+fps easy. The game is stupidly well optimized, I would say to give the demo a try for yourself. I'm pretty sure you can find a download pretty easily if you search around a bit, there's no DRM after all.

Back