Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

The PS4 version is what I'm excited to see. I think it will 30 FPS on Medium/High, though Pro will probably be Very High 30. I wouldn't mind a Performance option, though(60).

Yeah, same here. After seeing the demo, I'm now really curious about the PS4 version too. I imagine it will be somewhere around Medium to High at 30FPS on base and maybe Very High on PS4 Pro (if they do end up supporting it)

I'd still like to see 60FPS on PS4 Pro but I'm doubtful it will happen.

After seeing the demo at 60 fps and above, well it's gonna be hard to go back to 30.

You've got an inherently flawed argument here. Literally what is the point of having a system to help identify intractable objects outdoors, if you could wander so far past them that they're almost out of the periphery of the FOV by the time they appear? They've got to show up at a reasonable distance, which they do in that first screen. They're about a third of the viewable FOV away from being off the screen entirely, any further and you're less likely to notice if you're focusing on entering the Tao-Get Store; which would place it centre frame in most normal play instances.

They're also still not huge by any metric at that distance, I don't know why you keep insisting this. Shocker, things get bigger the closer you get to them. Nitpick about how you'd like them to remain smaller scale with reduced distance if you like, but fucking hell. Small potatoes or what?

Also - not literally the same as quest markers. I don't know why you keep saying this as if there's zero contextual difference between being given a helping hand for picking objects out in the environment, and being pulled towards the next step in a quest in a game that has figuring out that next step as a core pillar.

Hyperbolic statements and strawman arguments aren't going to reinforce your point. If anything, it makes it look weaker if you're clawing at things that aren't happening to back you up. Cross your fingers for turning them off all you like, nobody is going to stop you doing that; but this "no, no, no, it's all wrong, do it MY way!" bullshit is getting fucking old.

The only reason the markers are getting bigger is because they're treated as 3D elements. Hence why they also reflects on objects.
They could keep the same size you see them in the distance. But instead they're only one size and appears bigger as you approach for that very reason. That's a flawed design.

Also why the comparison with quest markers ? Because it's litterally giving you the answer.

As for your last point, guess what, some people agree. I guess it's not that bad of a point. We can disagree. But you dont need to go into revisionnist stuff like "hey Shenmue I and II weren't that good in that department in fact when I think of it !" when we used to praise those games for litterally not putting markers everywhere.

I disagree with the Shenmue 1 basement comparison. Remember in Shenmue 1 that was the first time a system like that had ever been implemented. While Shenmue 3 is at its roots loyal to the Shenmue community they do have to take into account the new gamers who will be experiencing Shenmue. I'll give an example.

In Shenmue 1 you had to wait till certain times to progress the story. While this can be looked at as encouraging gamers to explore the world there were times where I didnt want to go to the Arcade or practice fighting. That's why I'm glad in Shenmue 2 they did the time skip it just mad sense fundamentally.

Hopefully they will have the option to turn it on or off. At the end of the day they will have to compromise on some things in order to appeal on some things a new audience's might like. IMO

I agree on making things easier for newcomers. That's why it should be "an option".
Shenmue II didn't force you to skip for waiting. It was an optionnal QoL improvement.

I agree on making things easier for newcomers. That's why it should be "an option".
Shenmue II didn't force you to skip for waiting. It was an optionnal QoL improvement.

It also makes gameplay more fluid. When playing Shenmue 1 it took alot of time having to awkwardly line up Ryo to every single object just to see if you could interact with it. This could turn some people off as mindless and trivial. In the big picture it's a minor issue.

It also makes gameplay more fluid. When playing Shenmue 1 it took alot of time having to awkwardly line up Ryo to every single object just to see if you could interact with it. This could turn some people off as mindless and trivial. In the big picture it's a minor issue.

Eh did we play Shenmue the same way ? As far as I remember when you were in first person, you were basically locked to people and objects. And with the dpad you could just move from target to target easily.

And well, this a more or less a minor thing. As far as I'm concerned, it's bothering. And I'm not the only one to think so. Now if my complaint is only about that and the title screen, isn't it a good sign in the end ? That maybe the only stuff to fix can be done in a few hours ?

Eh did we play Shenmue the same way ? As far as I remember when you were in first person, you were basically locked to people and objects. And with the dpad you could just move from target to target easily.

And well, this a more or less a minor thing. As far as I'm concerned, it's bothering. And I'm not the only one to think so. Now if my complaint is only about that and the title screen, isn't it a good sign in the end ? That maybe the only stuff to fix can be done in a few hours ?

Yeah you could use the dpad if everything was grouped together, I'm referring to the totality of examining the environment. Also I don't have a problem with you taking issues with certain elements, I'm just adding my two cents and extending the dialog.

unknown.png

Like for real, how isn't that distracting ?

Some will find it distracting. Others wont. I didnt mind it. As long as theres an option to turn it off then everyone will be happy.

I mean, I know it may sound nitpicking. But to me, it's like just THIS close to be perfect. Like, all I'm asking now is litterally a toggle for the red thing and the crosshair. Put a decent title screen and I'm all set.

I mean, I know it may sound nitpicking. But to me, it's like just THIS close to be perfect. Like, all I'm asking now is litterally a toggle for the red thing and the crosshair. Put a decent title screen and I'm all set.
I understand you. The first thing I noticed were the big red circles that kep on appearing which spoiled the immersion for me. I am not against the system existing but I do think the game would be better off if you had the choice to turn them off. I have the feeling like they will become annoying for a lot of people.

things that were in previous games but not in 3 demo:

- edit: my mistake, works with left stick xD You can't look down with the right stick in lucky hit with the ball in your hand, you have to remember the position before you start.
- You can't stop a conversation already started.
- There are no different sensibilities when running with the trigger, although it is not very relevant.
- Don´t like "camera mode hud" in first view, maybe it matters in final game.
- when you step back in the first person and return to third, ryo is looking to the other way xD

curiosity

- There is a different soundtrack if you put yourself right at the door before entering on the first store.

I loved the combat system of the previous ones, but hey it's not bad at all...

Last edited:
Just played through the trial in full for the first time. 4K and set to very high. Wasn't able to reach 60fps on my 1070, but Christ it looked beautiful.

Took a while to get to grips with the combat, but it feels like it has some decent depth to it. Doesn't feel that snappy, but has decent impact to it. Feels much better than the previously released footage made it look.

Only real gripe at this stage is some of the presentation. While I don't mind the font they've chosen, I feel like it's monospaced. Looks a bit odd. Also the fonts can be really close to the edges of some menus.

Also, the start menu, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that this is purely for the purposes of this demo.

All worries put to rest. The game will be just what we've wanted all these years, just hope it can attract some positive mainstream press.

things that were in previous games but not in 3 demo:

- You can't look down with the right stick in lucky hit with the ball in your hand, you have to remember the position before you start.
- You can't stop a conversation already started.
- There are no different sensibilities when running with the trigger, although it is not very relevant.
- Don´t like "camera mode hud" in first view, maybe it matters in final game.

curiosity

- There is a different soundtrack if you put yourself right at the door before entering on the first store.
I was able to look down the Lucky Hit board, but I think it was with the left stick. Give it a go!

Gregor, the one german guy from Rocketbeans TV, played the backer trial too
and he said that Shenmue 3 is easily his biggest hype game right now
and after he checked out everything again very slowly in the demo, he said that its almost impossible that this game will
disappoint him. They made full playthoughs of Shenmue 1 and 2 on their channel which have thousands of clicks,
so i'm pretty sure they will do something for Shenmue 3 too.

Just wanted to share that I managed to replicate the "slow motion camera" effect I accidentally triggered the other day. I may have miss-remembered and actually used counter elbow assault to trigger it (not a normal elbow assault). I spent about 2 hours spamming normal elbow assaults before I decided to try counter elbow lol. Although it's possible that this is also triggered with other moves as well (included elbow assault) and I just got unlucky. Anyway here's the video of the successful attempt (sorry for low quality, it's at around 15 secs in) -

Oh shit that is cool! The real question is what the hell triggers this? Do you know what level the move was at? What level was your Endurance and Attack (and Kung Fu), and did you dodge or anything before it (any directions) or did you just push the button combo AYY (or right trigger)? From the video it looks like you dodged out of the way, and to the right behind him and then input the combo? Did it only work on this opponent or the first time you did it, was it someone else? Would be awesome if we could work out how to replicate it and then if so, we could work out if it works on other moves etc.

Great work and thanks for re-replicating and recording it!!

Just wanted to share that I managed to replicate the "slow motion camera" effect I accidentally triggered the other day. I may have miss-remembered and actually used counter elbow assault to trigger it (not a normal elbow assault). I spent about 2 hours spamming normal elbow assaults before I decided to try counter elbow lol. Although it's possible that this is also triggered with other moves as well (included elbow assault) and I just got unlucky. Anyway here's the video of the successful attempt (sorry for low quality, it's at around 15 secs in) -

I love how we're still finding new stuff in this demo.

Oh shit that is cool! The real question is what the hell triggers this? Do you know what level the move was at? What level was your Endurance and Attack (and Kung Fu), and did you dodge or anything before it (any directions) or did you just push the button combo AYY (or right trigger)? From the video it looks like you dodged out of the way, and to the right behind him and then input the combo? Did it only work on this opponent or the first time you did it, was it someone else? Would be awesome if we could work out how to replicate it and then if so, we could work out if it works on other moves etc.

Great work and thanks for re-replicating and recording it!!

I'm attempting to see if it can be executed at different lvls now. In this clip I had maxed all 5 moves to 10, lvl 6 Attack, lvl 10 kung fu, lvl 5 End. When I executed before (sadly wasn't recording) I had maxed out all moves (attack 6), but I had only trained End to lvl 2 (not sure about kung fu but I would assume lvl 6). I've only attempted it on gold tiger so far as he's the most resilient so you can get more attempts in. In this example I dodged (quickly tapped stick in the direction) and pressed RT (easier to map to RT than press the button combo). When I first did it I was facing him and I believe it was timed in between a gap in one of his combos but I'm not 100% as I was shocked and wasn't sure if I was hallucinating it lol.

Back