Shenmue III Backer Trial | General Thread

I also sent Ys Net a message through Kickstarter telling them how amazing it was to be playing a new Shenmue game and suggesting that they add an option to be able to run with the left trigger and zoom with the right trigger. They sent me a reply thanking me for the kind words and telling me that while they can't promise changes to currently implemented content, they will pass my ideas along to the dev team.

Pathetic strawmanning dude, c'mon.

You're missing my point completely about usability issues caused by the lack of consistency in what you can/can't pick up -- or just conveniently ignoring it. It's easy to take the "keep it the same" stance when you're ignoring the problems it causes.

Also, "free-looking" in the original games wasn't good. You had to wobble and zoom around like a drunk until you snapped onto something, which was usually not the object you expected to lock onto, and only then did it control in an acceptable way by removing the element of 3D control.

In Shenmue III you can just walk around naturally in first-person, look at objects and click on them. You retain your freedom of movement and it's sooo much better, but part of why it works well is because the markers provide 2 vital bits of information: your currently selected object, and if you're close enough to interact with it. Without that it would be more frustrating. And I don't think swapping from the analogue stick to the D-pad and tapping directions is an elegant solution at all. It makes it feel like you're just selecting items from a menu.

As I said before, I'm fine with an option to remove them if that's how purists want to play, but I totally appreciate that newcomers to the series, or just people that haven't played Shenmue a hundred times, will benefit a lot from the markers being there.
Are you sure they are there on a hard difficulty?

I also sent Ys Net a message through Kickstarter telling them how amazing it was to be playing a new Shenmue game and suggesting that they add an option to be able to run with the left trigger and zoom with the right trigger. They sent me a reply thanking me for the kind words and telling me that while they can't promise changes to currently implemented content, they will pass my ideas along to the dev team.
Man, look. Are you buying it for PC? Use Xpadder. Map every button EXACTLY as you want. Set it to rumble even. I don't know. On PC there will always be ways to fix what they didn't. Not just the controller.

Man, look. Are you buying it for PC? Use Xpadder. Map every button EXACTLY as you want. Set it to rumble even. I don't know. On PC there will always be ways to fix what they didn't. Not just the controller.
But wouldn't that completely switch around the buttons for everything in the game? Like, if you had to navigate through pages of a menu with the triggers, they would be backwards?

I'm actually going to be playing on a PS4, which itself does have a button remapping feature, but I don't want to just completely swap L2 and R2 for everything.

Anyway, I was playing the demo yesterday and was already getting used to controlling it this way. It's not the end of the world if they don't add that option. I just would prefer if they did and I don't really see any reason why not.

Got some friends who don't really like shenmue to try 3, they said the combat was fun and felt good. It's not just the fans who think the combat is fun!
Suzuki needs to market it right. I still think it was horrible for 1&2. Free battles should have been the main points. In the game they needed to be early and more often. In this Shenmue 3 all is fixed. Tell your friends in 2 minutes they can run up the road. Ignore anything else. Go in, and spar. Or punch, or fight at will. This should have been in Shenmue 1. Less drawer opening at the beginning, where most attention of the casual fan can be captured, and instead lets say meeting the black suit goons outside his house before running into the dojo. Actually letting you try and fail VS Lan Di. He got overexcited showing what he was able to do, It's a video game, it's based on the action Karate/Kung Fu films. All exploration and questioning would still be there. Nothing lost. He'd get way more fans into his game.

But wouldn't that completely switch around the buttons for everything in the game? Like, if you had to navigate through pages of a menu with the triggers, they would be backwards?

I'm actually going to be playing on a PS4, which itself does have a button remapping feature, but I don't want to just completely swap L2 and R2 for everything.

Anyway, I was playing the demo yesterday and was already getting used to controlling it this way. It's not the end of the world if they don't add that option. I just would prefer if they did and I don't really see any reason why not.
Not at all. Because every action on the keyboard is not the same key. It means you can get it exactly correct for you. Xpadder doesn't remap PS4 functions, it assigns each PS4 button to a keyboard key, and or mouse movement. It's so great I play Elder Scrolls online that supports a gamepad, with it off, but Xpadder on. Way way better. Everything set up as I want. But since you're on PS4, it's not an option. I do remember Shenmue 2 had exactly what you were asking them. Swap run and look. Maybe they'll add the option later via an update. I hope they do for you. I just relearned to run with right. Especially goofy since my ESO set up is exactly with left lower shoulder button. But you can get used to it easily. I got used to the super weird Assasin's Creed using X to jump and climb VS Triangle. That was so bad for me. I couldn't get into doing the very first task. Then I got it, never looked back since.What did they do with left lower shoulder button in Shenmue 3? The right one does inventory, what does the left do?

Not at all. Because every action on the keyboard is not the same key. It means you can get it exactly correct for you. Xpadder doesn't remap PS4 functions, it assigns each PS4 button to a keyboard key, and or mouse movement. It's so great I play Elder Scrolls online that supports a gamepad, with it off, but Xpadder on. Way way better. Everything set up as I want. But since you're on PS4, it's not an option. I do remember Shenmue 2 had exactly what you were asking them. Swap run and look. Maybe they'll add the option later via an update. I hope they do for you. I just relearned to run with right. Especially goofy since my ESO set up is exactly with left lower shoulder button. But you can get used to it easily. I got used to the super weird Assasin's Creed using X to jump and climb VS Triangle. That was so bad for me. I couldn't get into doing the very first task. Then I got it, never looked back since.What did they do with left lower shoulder button in Shenmue 3? The right one does inventory, what does the left do?
As far as I can tell, the left bumper doesn't do anything in the demo.

Yeah, both Shenmue games had that option and Shenmue I was actually set that way by default. To be honest, I'm not sure why the majority of fans use L for looking and R for running. I would assume that, like myself, most fans started with the first game and got used to the default controls in that game. I guess not.

"A look at a slow motion bullet time style effect that triggers when you successfully dodge an enemy attack up close whilst having low health (yellow or below). You can follow this with any move and looks pretty awesome."
I think the opponent's falling animation is pretty anti-climactic though. It looks like this big epic move but then the guy just sort of falls on his butt in quite unspectacular fashion.

BTW, does the Pail Toss bookie remind anyone else of Zongquan Bai? His backstory is identical, and his face model and voice are both similar.

If you do real bad at the Horse Stance, Ryo can actually fall on his ass lmao

I love the tinny details put into everything, It's so Shenmue :)

Lol, that was the first thing that happened to me when I tried that minigame because I misunderstood it. Did damn good after that though, haha.

Back