Shenmue III Gamescom 2019 Content

Do people really say that? This is starting to remind me of when people forgot what PS2 games actually looked like lmao. Random PS3 screen I came across recently...

View attachment 3963

The nicer of the complainers compare it to PS3 graphics. Pretty sure I've read multiple comments/articles stating the graphics barely look better than "Dreamcast era." Because anything resembling truth & reason has no bearing in teh internets age.

Personally, I think it looks great. I can't really imagine complaining. It felt great to see Yu looking so happy in many of the pictures from Gamescom. I had feared all the negativity might take its toll on him. While I want Shenmue III for me...I really want Yu to be able to finish his opus. And I don't want the mess that has come with this Kickstarter to dampen his spirits after all the years he spent trying to make III happen. Anyway, I digress.

Curious to know if John from Digital Foundry got to play the longer demo at Gamescom. Haven't seen anything on his Twitter so maybe not...

He didn't. He didn't plan to play it either.

Also on topic of previews : I'm glad the game wasn't playable to the public considering how harsh or unfair some previews are.

Shenmue isn't a game to play on a showfloor or for 45 minutes.

Judging by the Famitsu article, Yu is very aware that the game doesn't present well at shows, even when the timer's been extended to 45-60 minutes. Still, it's probably better showing something than nothing at all.

Sometimes, it's better to show curated stuff. Not every game is meant to be played on a showfloor. And I'm glad to see Yu Suzuki agrees. Sometimes you can organize a play test for the press that is usually longer.

more will come in the write up, but i mean to allude that this game more or less is a Dreamcast Shenmue 3, which just looks a bit better is a hell of a low ball.

Totally Dreamcast filter material though...look at those actual blades of grass in comparison to those flat textures pretending to be grass and shrubs. :)

(I still love the Guilin forest walk...one of the best showcases of the Dreamcast hardware at the time)

Looking forward to the write up, Peter.

People please, just wait until I get my hands on the game so that we can shut the visuals talk once and for all.
Honestly I feel that, the videos they have been putting out are super compressed.
In the beginning they were uploading super hi-res ones on the shenmue.link website, but not anymore unfortunately.
They must be using a mid quality codec or bitrate.
I'm sure the game is much more clean that what we see in the videos.

Sorry but appointed you as the decision making stopping point. Can you please cut the arrogance?
I think there's a crossed wire here, and what GhostTrick was saying maybe didn't come off as well as intended.

He's said previously he's going to be taking some super high-res screenshots once the backer trial/game is out. I think he just means he's going to show people how truly beautiful Shenmue III actually is by pushing the visuals hard on the PC version, and shutting up the detractors who call it a Dreamcast/PS2/PS3 game.

i think there is also a bit of a misunderstanding sometimes because
we have this mishmash of online posts about the graphics
and there are people who are saying "Dreamcast graphics" or "looks exactly like in the past ..."
and they mean it in a negative way but there are also people who are saying almost the same things
but they mean it in a positive way. the Rocketbeans guys didnt mean the comment about Dreamcast filter looks
as a negative thing, it was just to describe the look for the people in the live chat to impart realistic expectations.
the people asked why it doesnt look like a AAA game.
i know a lot of times we are in defence mode when we hear this stuff
but not all of these statements are meant as something negative.

I'm sorry for the very late reply guys, I'm pretty busy recently, though I read all your posts until now ^^.
Well the new trailer is amazing, I really enjoyed every little bit of what I saw. It looks like so Shenmue, the scenery is so beautiful and the game has imprved graphically on so many things. I really like that they seem to add more effect during battle and make that you feel more the impact from your strike than on the ign Japan battle trailer we had. The music is amazing as always, I really like the first one and the one when he fights the kind of three monks later in the video. It's so Shenmue, everything I like about it seems to be here.

I would.be very apreciated Peter that when you will give us yor feeback about.the demo, how you felt about the battle, how do we feel our skills progressind and so on. I'm very interested in this part.

Thank you so much for all the informations we can find here. It's so good to read a lot of Shenmue content in a positive vibe and with in depth commentary everyday!

I think there's a crossed wire here, and what GhostTrick was saying maybe didn't come off as well as intended.

He's said previously he's going to be taking some super high-res screenshots once the backer trial/game is out. I think he just means he's going to show people how truly beautiful Shenmue III actually is by pushing the visuals hard on the PC version, and shutting up the detractors who call it a Dreamcast/PS2/PS3 game.

If that's what it is, fair enough, but reading something like that just makes it sound like literally anything spoken thus far about the graphical detail of this game is irrelevant/pointless until he has a final say. It wasn't nice to read, and actually made me stop typing on the write up for tonight because it simply left me with the feeling of what's the point.

If that's what it is, fair enough, but reading something like that just makes it sound like literally anything spoken thus far about the graphical detail of this game is irrelevant/pointless until he has a final say. It wasn't nice to read, and actually made me stop typing on the write up for tonight because it simply left me with the feeling of what's the point.

Yup, came off as wrong indeed lol.
My point was indeed that the game.looks glorious and once we'll get to see uncompressed footage and screenshots, that'll shut the naysayers :p

Sorry for the misunderstanding

In any case, the game has a lot of gorgeous things to show off and you can already see it in some footage and screenshots.

It just needs to be shown the right way.
Not to criticize on Deep Silver but the fact is a lot of the media shown so far was often badly compressed or had unecessary technical hurdles that came from the encoding.

But in less than a month, the days of compressed JPG will be over.

I litterally prepared an external hard drive for those gigabytes of footage :"")

Back