Shenmue III Gamescom 2019 Content

Keep in mind we're gonna get shitty clickbait impressions like we did at E3 as well as genuine impressions. Not that genuine impressions can't be negative, just keep it in mind.

That off screen trailer has me really hyped. Ticks all the boxes I wanted - really nice looking areas (seriously, some of those backgrounds/areas look great especially with the lighting). Ren and Ryo talking, Chai popping up, and some really cool arena/training footage. Yeah, I can see me really enjoying playing this game through for sure.

I love how you can see Shenhua in the background browsing stalls when Ryo is buying tea at the market lol. Looks like one of the times you can explore with her and you're together.

ydSrFLT.png

It's an excellent trailer. Compared with E3, this trailer looks much like a actual game. Battle system has been improved and the hit boxes and animations seems more naturals.

I'm in the train going to work with my wife and she loved the footage too. She's not a Shenmue fan, but play the games of the current generation. Maybe Shenmue 3 can bring her to the previous games.

Keep in mind we're gonna get shitty clickbait impressions like we did at E3 as well as genuine impressions. Not that genuine impressions can't be negative, just keep it in mind.

The main impression I look forward to is Huber's. Even he's a major fanboy like us, he still remains unbiased with his opinions.

I have to say, the last trailers were all great but i had always some kind of subtle issue with them while watching. This new one is just... its so wonderful, can't express how great it is. And the best part is that Yu and the team still have time to improve even more details.

Just stunned and happy!

On a side note: i love the animation with the plates and the table. Could be from a Jackie Chan Movie:love:

The animations look good, but the hit detection seems off, and a little floaty/sliding.
Can't really tell till we get our hands on it (for me fighting in Shenmue is an afterthought, the cherry on the pie).

I would say the hit detection looks about on par with Yakuza games from the PS3 era. That's really the vibe it's giving me as I watch it...even down to the point where canned animations seem to be getting locked to a certain direction after input (which is something that pre-Dragon Engine, and even the Dragon Engine Yakuza games at times, suffer from.) But yeah, watching some of those fights gives me Yakuza PS3 era vibes in terms of animation and hit detection at least. Not in terms of style. In terms of style, it feels like Shenmue.

Considering the budget, I'm fine with it. Sure, I would love for it to be more fluent and on the par of say Virtua Fighter, but for the budget they have...it looks passable to me...but still waiting to get my hands on it to put it to its paces.

That trailer looks amazing...that's everything I could want from a trailer...now just give me one final story trailer that sells the story and I think I'm done with trailers. Can't wait to see direct footage of that trailer to hear what is being said in dialog.

With three months out, I think this is probably what the final product will look like...considering they will probably go gold in October or even late September...I think this is pretty indicative of what we will get in final product. You have to factor in that they still have to manufacture and produce the game, so I can see it going Gold in Early October at least.

If that be the case then that gives them just over a month....although, I guess they can keep working on a day 1 patch and all. But I think for the most part, what you see is what you're getting.

And to my eyes, it looks okay. It looks better than I expected given the budget. I don't know how it will fare with everyone else, but to my eyes, it looks like Shenmue...even down to his walk animation. It feels as close as it can possibly be to Shenmue without using the old engine.

If that's what we get then consider me happy. Just hook it into my veins and give me that direct capture.

Last edited:
Rocketbeans just talked about their FF7 Remake play sessions at Gamescom and after that they did a live interview
with the producer Yoshinori Kitase.

Gregor (one of the hosts and a Shenmue fan) also mentioned Shenmue 3 in short sentence
and how he will just ask Suzuki that question later.
So there is a chance that it will be the same setup for Shenmue 3 on thursday,
the newest live impressions + a Yu Suzuki live interview.

With three months out, I think this is probably what the final product will look like...considering they will probably go gold in October or even late September...I think this is pretty indicative of what we will get in final product. You have to factor in that they still have to manufacture and produce the game, so I can see it going Gold in Early October at least.
Gold master to release is usually around three to four weeks. They've got until... somewhere after the 20th of October most likely, so technically a full two months still left on the clock to polish. Still some headroom to improve in, if they want to.

Wouldn't be surprised if they'll be paying close attention to impressions there at Gamescom, and then again from the backer trial to lead them into tying up as many loose ends as possible.

Just watched the full off screen trailer. Everything looks perfect. Only Ryos stilted walking animation (when you are in control) remains, but that's such a minor thing when compared to previous games I feel bad even mentioning it. This all just looks so good....

Gold master to release is usually around three to four weeks. They've got until... somewhere after the 20th of October most likely, so technically a full two months still left on the clock to polish. Still some headroom to improve in, if they want to.

Wouldn't be surprised if they'll be paying close attention to impressions there at Gamescom, and then again from the backer trial to lead them into tying up as many loose ends as possible.

Oh I'm sure they'll keep working on it right up to release...in this "Day 1 patch" world we live in, I'm sure they'll be working on it right up to release date and beyond if need be (I hope it's not a buggy mess but it happens)

I just think, graphically speaking, I don't expect it to change too much from here on out...they might make a few touch ups here and there, but I think what you see is what you're gonna get.

I'm sure they can keep fine tuning it before release....I'm sure they're still working on it and listening to feedback from their QA testers let alone media impressions (and the trial impressions when that comes out.) But I'm not expecting some massive overhaul in a month that changes everything..at this point it would be all fine tunings and tightening everything up, I imagine.

But I think, graphically, I wouldn't be surprised if this closer to final build than not. Still, I think it looks good for the budget it has.

Last edited:
Back