Votes: 24 17.4%

Votes: 21 15.2%

Votes: 12 8.7%

Votes: 11 8.0%

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • 1M

Votes: 35 25.4%

• Total voters
The Vgcharts is far from accurate. I don't think that page has been updated since December 2018. We're almost a year out from there.

I really surprised that the Shenmue 1&2 remasters sold that poorly. So for the sake of argument let's just say Shenmue 3 sells poorly. In my mind this really shouldn't effect the future of Shenmue. The game raised 7 million dollars on Kickstarter/Slacker Backer. There is obvious a demand for the game. If anything maybe downgrading the game should be the reasonable option if sells are bad.

I honestly believe with every fiber of my being that this game will sell 1 million copies in the first year easy. I know there has been some online backlash but when the demo dropped the gaming media and fans all had positive things to say. If we can get IGN, Gamespot, Game Informer, PC Gamer, and YouTubers to show favorable to great reviews we are golden. Not to mention LRG and Pix'n Love Collectors Edition selling out reasonably quick.

29 days???

It didn't help that Shenmue 1 was a broken POS for awhile, and that there was like no promotion at all.

Really the only people who knew it exists, are the people already keeping a lookout for Shenmue related news.

Hell most of the new commers getting into Shenmue, picked up a Shenmue game, is either playing them on the DC or getting the XBOX version of 2, despite the fact there's a compilation for the PS 4 which is way cheaper then getting original copies of the games.

As for the existing fanbase, between owning OG copies, Shenmue 1 being virtually unplayable at the time, and Shenmue 3 coming out soon, many of them didn't buy it either.

Did Sega ever release official numbers from a fiscal report...? ~300-350k for I+IIHD is great to me. Low budget reissue of an 18 year old game with bloom and 1080 upscale thrown in quick. 98% of everything was patched great within a couple months.

Voted 600k (by Jan/Feb). Within a year/lifetime it'll do about a million, I hope.

Bro if I were a millionaire...let's just say Shenmue 4 would be already confirmed?
Oh and if I were one Shenmue 3 would have throws, and more bells and whistles. But gamers don't become rich, too busy playing LOL. Still I look at Ancestors, likely OK budget, likely a large enough team, a dev that worked on AC Odyssey itself, one of my favorite games ever, and Ancestors is such a huge pile of dung... Who knows how that will sell, but those buying it will regret it. Zero buying Shenmue 3 will, if they give it a chance.

Did Sega ever release official numbers from a fiscal report...? ~300-350k for I+IIHD is great to me. Low budget reissue of an 18 year old game with bloom and 1080 upscale thrown in quick. 98% of everything was patched great within a couple months.

Voted 600k (by Jan/Feb). Within a year/lifetime it'll do about a million, I hope.
That's the point though, an emulated version playing better on PC, man, oh man. Even now, right now, some things were dumbed down compared to emulated. Would it kill them to just add modern grass, and water? Would it be that hard? That alone would make them feel much closer to today's games for the new guys. Add some modern trees and such... Wish Suzuki did the remakes, wish he could use his Shenmue 3 assets. Make more profits, and use it in the 3rd. If SEGA had a conscience, they'd do it that way... Great great shame. Oh well, I replayed 1&2 from Steam recently, they did better yes.

Last edited:
That's the point though, an emulated version playing better on PC, man, oh man. Even now, right now, some things were dumbed down compared to emulated. Would it kill them to just add modern grass, and water? Would it be that hard? That alone would make them feel much closer to today's games for the new guys. Add some modern trees and such... Wish Suzuki did the remakes, wish he could use his Shenmue 3 assets. Make more profits, and use it in the 3rd. If SEGA had a conscience, they'd do it that way... Great great shame. Oh well, I replayed 1&2 from Steam recently, they did better yes.

A fuller, proper remaster/remake hybrid was in the cards according to Digital Foundry, but would've been too much budget. From a realist perspective, the simplem reissue was best idea for now. Hell, from a purist perspective, it was best too becasue it preserves the Dreamcast engine :D

A fuller, proper remaster/remake hybrid was in the cards according to Digital Foundry, but would've been too much budget. From a realist perspective, the simplem reissue was best idea for now. Hell, from a purist perspective, it was best too becasue it preserves the Dreamcast engine :D

I agree, IMO Shenmue 1&2 have aged well. I'd rather see Sega take the money and assets and use them for Shenmue 4 and beyond.
29 days???

Honestly if Shenmue 1 hd had a bit extra done to it I think it would of brought alot more people in, and by that I mean the wait times in 1, if there was a way to actually let you skip ahead like in 2 then I know like a dozen people that would of actually finished 1 cause the waiting seems to be something people bring up alot. Outside of some jank controls shenmue 1 has aged pretty damn well, I honestly thinkt the wait time is the big reason people throw that argument around.

I agree, IMO Shenmue 1&2 have aged well. I'd rather see Sega take the money and assets and use them for Shenmue 4 and beyond.
29 days???
You understand though, they didn't help Suzuki with 3, they didn't say anything about helping with Shenmue 4. I think the remakes were after they saw 70k 7 million dollar interest shown in what they were too stupid to produce for decades. So in their best fashion they milked the old IP, keeping it almost the same. That said, 1&2 now do play OK on PC, and I don't emulate anymore. I've the original discs too. It'll be a project tomorrow, digging out the DC, placing the GDROMs near it, and taking a pic for my avatar.

Honestly if Shenmue 1 hd had a bit extra done to it I think it would of brought alot more people in, and by that I mean the wait times in 1, if there was a way to actually let you skip ahead like in 2 then I know like a dozen people that would of actually finished 1 cause the waiting seems to be something people bring up alot. Outside of some jank controls shenmue 1 has aged pretty damn well, I honestly thinkt the wait time is the big reason people throw that argument around.
There's a very easy way on PC for Shenmue 1. Need to be careful in the harbor, don't use after 7, but other than that it works fine.

Voted 400k regarding what will determinate Shenmue 4 starting budget and main game design but expecting 1M+ over one or two years.

You understand though, they didn't help Suzuki with 3, they didn't say anything about helping with Shenmue 4. I think the remakes were after they saw 70k 7 million dollar interest shown in what they were too stupid to produce for decades. So in their best fashion they milked the old IP, keeping it almost the same. That said, 1&2 now do play OK on PC, and I don't emulate anymore. I've the original discs too. It'll be a project tomorrow, digging out the DC, placing the GDROMs near it, and taking a pic for my avatar.

If Shenmue 3 sells well Sega will join the team. It is their franchise. Sega said that Shenmue 1&2 remasters were always in the cards, but me and you know that if it wasn't for the Kickstarter Shenmue 1&2 ain't coming out. From the latest sells charts Shenmue 1&2 could've sold anywhere from 300,000-600,000.

Depending on who you talk to that could be good or bad( I have no idea). Sega did say they were satisfied though. I can't really fault Sega for not taking chances they can't afford to. After reporting that huge profit loss things aren't good for Sega. All they really have is Yakuza & Sega mini(hopefully Shenmue).

That's why I'd like to see Sega merged with Nintendo. I know many of you aren't a fan of that idea but it's a shame that Sega has all those franchises and they don't do anything with them.

29 days ???

If it sells over 100,000, I think we will get a 4th game. I see no reason they can’t achieve that. Deep Silver also seems to catch a lot of sales with lesser known games and franchises, so I don’t see why an established franchise won’t do well.

Sure, but they didn’t spend too much on the game and I think they’ve already set expectations “low enough” that they can continue the next game utilizing many of the assets they’ve already created.

Sure, but they didn’t spend too much on the game and I think they’ve already set expectations “low enough” that they can continue the next game utilizing many of the assets they’ve already created.

Didnt Cedric Biscay say his goal was 1 million. I'm not arguing with you but if Shenmue only sells 100k it sounds like they'll have to do another Kickstarter. I'm not sure another Kickstarter would work to the same magnitude it did before. Again I'm firing from the hip I have no facts.

I’m just trying to stay grounded, but I think it’ll easily clear 100,000+ if the collectors and day 1 editions have been hanging on to the Amazon and GameStop charts as others here have reported.

I can’t realistically believe it’ll sell a million unless they improve marketing and actually start advertising the game properly to the uninitiated. At the same time, I’ve seen a lot of weird niche games sell really well this generation and this is both a niche game and a game with a very active/loyal fan base. That just might rub off on people and help sell the game.

Back