Shenmue III sales

It does seem a bit unclear for shenmue 3s success. If anything, the money earned from the exclusivity deal will hopefully help fund the next game, I just want the series to end.

Shenmue I & II HD allegedly sold at least 340K on PS4 and Xbox One combined. I don't actually know how VGChartz track their sales, so I do take these figures with a grain of salt and think of them only as a very rough estimate. There aren't any sales figures for the PC version at all that I can find.

Just for comparison, Yakuza 6 is the best-selling game in its respective series, and it didn't quite crack the 1 million mark. The earlier Yakuza games (3, 4, 5) each sold around 500K-600K, and they have maintained the significant financial backing of Sega and have continued to produce quality games year on year.

I think if Shenmue III can hit somewhere around that 500K-600K mark, I would consider that a real, genuine success and be confident that Shenmue IV is a real possibility. That's the point I'd expect publishers to step in with some serious money. I don't think 1 million copies sold is realistic, but if it did somehow ship that many copies, that would be an absolute fairytale scenario and I would be supremely confident in seeing Shenmue IV, V and VI; the entirety of Yu's vision fully realised.

Shenmue I & II HD allegedly sold at least 340K on PS4 and Xbox One combined. I don't actually know how VGChartz track their sales, so I do take these figures with a grain of salt and think of them only as a very rough estimate. There aren't any sales figures for the PC version at all that I can find.

Just for comparison, Yakuza 6 is the best-selling game in its respective series, and it didn't quite crack the 1 million mark. The earlier Yakuza games (3, 4, 5) each sold around 500K-600K, and they have maintained the significant financial backing of Sega and have continued to produce quality games year on year.

I think if Shenmue III can hit somewhere around that 500K-600K mark, I would consider that a real, genuine success and be confident that Shenmue IV is a real possibility. That's the point I'd expect publishers to step in with some serious money. I don't think 1 million copies sold is realistic, but if it did somehow ship that many copies, that would be an absolute fairytale scenario and I would be supremely confident in seeing Shenmue IV, V and VI; the entirety of Yu's vision fully realised.
The idea that 6 sold as much as, and possibly even more, than 0 is so bizarre to me. You know damn a lot of those those guys hadn't already played through the previous games when they bought 6. Then again, that also bodes well for S3's chances.

The idea that 6 sold as much as, and possibly even more, than 0 is so bizarre to me. You know damn a lot of those those guys hadn't already played through the previous games when they bought 6. Then again, that also bodes well for S3's chances.

6 is NOT the best-selling and even if it was, 2 on the PS2 and 3 on the PS3 each sold around a million (combined in JP and NA.)

I wish I could find the site that had the numbers, but I haven't been able to locate it for a few years now.

6 is NOT the best-selling and even if it was, 2 on the PS2 and 3 on the PS3 each sold around a million (combined in JP and NA.)

I wish I could find the site that had the numbers, but I haven't been able to locate it for a few years now.
I don't know anything about 3, but I did think I remembered reading 2 sold over a million somewhere. I had it in my head that that was the best selling game in the series.

It'd be interesting to see what DLC is offered post release and could play a major factor here- lower cost interated releases to help cash flow.

Back