Shenmue III - Season Pass?!

Okay, I was just about to put this eveings fiasco to bed until I checked out the playStation Store and saw this:

Shenmue III is having a Season Pass?! ... I've been pretty calm about the whole Epic>Steam Scenario but this really takes the piss!

I backed £300+ (Which is a lot for me!) & I'm not even getting access to the full game... Look guys, I'm a big fan of the Series, as I have been for Final Fantasy XV & I saw that go very VERY WRONG and now I see this, they're starting to really take us for a ride here.

The problem is that my KickStarter bundle is already redundant! I have to pay for an extras Season Pass to get access to the full game? Will there ever even be a Complete/DLC Edition to this?

When I hear Season Pass, this goes beyond just cosemtic tat (Unless your Dead or Alive), This will be substantial Story content - They did mention the possibility of playing as other characters, could this be how? This is the first confirmation i have seen on this... of course we no nothing of its content but without it, I just feel ripped off, big time.

Last edited:
To lighten the mood - I'd certainly be curious to othe peoples theory on what this Season Pass could be... the full price is £69.99 (I have the Standard Edition Pre-Ordered at £39.99! The Season Pass Alone is an additional 3/4 the Price...)

It has to be something worth while... but what? - Don't say Baisha, I will cry.

Probably some side missions (meet the new master of X style, gain Y power and defeat Z powerful enemy).
I'm kinda torn, I HATE season passes (I really distrusted Hitman 2 even though I think it's the best game this gen), but then again, the more content the better.
Just the phrasing gets me, like "yeah, we know we are making more stuff and your game is incomplete, but we have to keep the stream of sales going so people don't sell their used game".
I don't think that there will be cut content from the game, but these days it's impossible to say.

Probably some side missions (meet the new master of X style, gain Y power and defeat Z powerful enemy).
I'm kinda torn, I HATE season passes (I really distrusted Hitman 2 even though I think it's the best game this gen), but then again, the more content the better.
Just the phrasing gets me, like "yeah, we know we are making more stuff and your game is incomplete, but we have to keep the stream of sales going so people don't sell their used game".
I don't think that there will be cut content from the game, but these days it's impossible to say.

I can't stand that mentality (not yours :p The industry), in how with Social Media, companies have to keep their product in a progressive stance 24/7. When I pick up a game, I experience it then I am done onto the next one - This is why post release DLC does not work for me - by the time it is released I have beaten the game and done with the experience. Going back to the game after, I'm just taken out of the momentum of the narrative of my initial playthrough and it's just not the same. So, can I confidently play Shenmue III at launch... well at this point I have too but knowing of Season Pass content is going to gnaw at my for the duration.

Hitman Season 1 this gen is another fine example of DLC messing with the consumer. I bought the Complete Edition on Steelbook and felt content that I was getting everything - WRONG! They then later announced some Patient Zero Story related DLC & it wasn't even available for me to download for free! I haven't approached the game ever since.

To lighten the mood - I'd certainly be curious to othe peoples theory on what this Season Pass could be... the full price is £69.99 (I have the Standard Edition Pre-Ordered at £39.99! The Season Pass Alone is an additional 3/4 the Price...)

It has to be something worth while... but what? - Don't say Baisha, I will cry.
DLC isn't going to be Baisha. Just because the trailers have shown footage from the first half of the game doesn't mean Baisha is now suddenly cut.

Showing Baisha now might be too spoilery considering that...

Baisha is where the Chi You Men are based, where you'll play as Shenhua & Ren, and where you'll likely fight Lan Di

Yeah, the new trend of releasing a goty edition, then releasing more paid dlc not included is totally shit.
Like FFXV deluxe edition / royal pass / Ardyn dlc.
Or even worse, buy the new game which is just actually a better game than the original (persona 5)

I’d assume the standard edition will be 49 or 59 no? The Kickstarter pre-orders were quite cheap.

Also with regards to Hitman I feel it’s a slightly unfair comparison as it was released chapter by chapter and you could either subscribe or buy individually. Also each chapter is a stand alone level, so additional content is simply more levels/sandboxes to play in.

Whereas Shenmue is a story so I’m not really sure outside of cosmetic DLC and a special move or two I really don’t know how a season pass fits in. Unless they are going to do side stories or something outside of the main story! (Like a mini spin off)

if, and only if, the season pass is how the story continues so they don't need Shenmue 4, 5, 6 etc.. then I'm ok with it. If they have split off content that we were expecting to be in the game... holy moly..

I posted the same thing earlier. The whole Epic Games fiasco has allowed this to slip under the radar. Not content with having already taken millions of dollars from backers, they want to bleed us a little more. We are the ones that have paid for the development costs and yet I (someone who donated $150+) will have to pay more than double what the average Joe will have to pay to fully experience the game. That’s assuming any average Joe’s even buy it...

The Season pass sounds bad. In fact that is a way worse News but it kept hidden because all the negativity is focused on Epic games.

I just hope it won't be as worth as it sounds and we do not have to pay more and more to get the full game.

This Mainstream Video game tactic should not be used for S3. If Deep Silver is kepping with pushing the fanbase Closer to the edge with each move, it might be bad for them.

The casuals that do not mind these rip of tactics are not the type of Players that would Support Shenmue.

I really wonder which Infos the gamespot Event will reveal..

I really don't want the story of Shenmue III to continue past S3's ending with DLC... I then just think of UbiSoft's move with their Prince of Persia Reboot - £7.99 for the Epilogue, which has never been put in a Complete Edition or even been on sale! (On the PS3 Anyway) I want Shenmue III to be an experience, then for the story to continue to move onto production with a Shenmue IV. Stringing out post-game story content over the years would just suck and like some have mentioned become a Final Fantasy XV Scenario - Which upon their 2nd Anniversary Conference, announced all further plans were cancelled... or the ending put into a Novel...

@9dragons - Precisely, this has been the biggest concern from yesterday by a large margin, I'm just very disheartend to feel that I've not already bought into the whole experience :(

I'm a person who if possible, upon seeing news of a Season Pass I will wait for DLC Editions, I did this for Horizon: Zero Dawn, Mortal Kombat X & many more this gen. As soon as I see the mention of a Season Pass the game is pushed back from a Day One Purchase. but, this is Shenmue III, which means a great deal to us all, there is no way I will be able to pass this - I've booked off Holiday for it and all! My fear is that being a Season Pass, hints at Substantial content, not just cosmetic tat.

I really feel that they're taking the mik' now, this project was dependent on us for survival, now it feels like Deep Silver and others involved and pushed this forward and just want to exploit the fans which save it. I'm genuinely upset by this :(

Last edited:
The Season pass sounds bad. In fact that is a way worse News but it kept hidden because all the negativity is focused on Epic games.

I just hope it won't be as worth as it sounds and we do not have to pay more and more to get the full game.

This Mainstream Video game tactic should not be used for S3. If Deep Silver is kepping with pushing the fanbase Closer to the edge with each move, it might be bad for them.

The casuals that do not mind these rip of tactics are not the type of Players that would Support Shenmue.

I really wonder which Infos the gamespot Event will reveal..
Deep Silver are a business with no sentimental ties to the series or the fan base. I don’t blame them one bit for trying to squeeze more money out of us. YSNet, on the other hand...

For this tactic you Need tons of Money. I wonder were Deep Silver takes the confidence that the base Shenmue 3 will generate enough Money to justify these extra Content. Extra Content Needs to be made and this cost Money. I do not want S3 to fail no matter how stupid the decisions from the higher ups are, but I really wonder why Deep Silver thanks that EA/Ubisoft tactic would work with a game like Shenmue.

the old fashioned way, to release a finished game would be much better.

The gaming world Needs S3, the Mainstream titles are all boring and generic , S3 could lighten the industry up a bit and now DS is working to hard to turn the Project into Mainstream garbage.

I just wonder were they want to take the Money from to make this a reality.

Are they really willing to use tons of Money to make the Strategie work? Is it worth it?

For this tactic you Need tons of Money. I wonder were Deep Silver takes the confidence that the base Shenmue 3 will generate enough Money to justify these extra Content. Extra Content Needs to be made and this cost Money. I do not want S3 to fail no matter how stupid the decisions from the higher ups are, but I really wonder why Deep Silver thanks that EA/Ubisoft tactic would work with a game like Shenmue.

the old fashioned way, to release a finished game would be much better.
Who’s to say that content that was planned to be included isn’t being held back?

nowbody knows what is going on behind the Screen that is true. But I really though that Ys net is a it old fashioned nad wants to release a complete game. In Japan not every game maker is into this western tactic to split games in half. Although it is getting more common in Japan as well. Look at DOA or the FF7 Remake.

But behind these games are super rich companies with established franchises. Shenmue 3 on the other Hand is quite new. So it will be hard to release the game in peaces.

And if they want to release the game in peaces, why delaying it. Why not releasing in Episode Format like Life is Strange?

I'd actually Dig Shenmue 3 in parts like that more, each location deemed a Chapter/Episode. but using Life Is Strange 2 as an example... I've been ignoring the Episodic nature of it completely and am just waiting for a physical Edition to be released when it is done - LiS being one of my favourite games this gen too, so I'm certainly interested... I just don't like Digital.

Last edited:
For this tactic you Need tons of Money. I wonder were Deep Silver takes the confidence that the base Shenmue 3 will generate enough Money to justify these extra Content. Extra Content Needs to be made and this cost Money.
The magic of the word "season pass" is that it actually means nothing.
They can release a couple of hats and a couple of jackets, spread it a little and call it a season pass.
I don't think it'll be shenmue 4 relevant / extending the story, I still think that it will be a couple of side missions where you learn a new move and have to defeat a new character (maybe a little mini game and a some new buildings).

Back