Shenmue III Staff Credits

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Remember Me (PC)
Steam
amirmoosavi

Interesting seeing who ended up working on the game since the Kickstarter days. For example, Kenji Itoso, Tak Hirai, Ryuji Iuchi, and Masahiro Yoshimoto are all now listed as "Early contributors". Looks like Hirai's Neilo were only involved in initial development as well.

Of the three writers, only one returns from the earlier games (Yasushi Ohtake).

There's an impressive number of outsourced partners, was not expecting that many besides Lakshya Digital.

Anyone spot anyone else returning from the I&II days who wasn't mentioned in the Kickstarter, such as Manabu Takimoto or Kenji Miyawaki?

More Indian names on there than Japanese ones. :)

I wonder if Yoshimoto only being an early contributor led to S3's script
having a bunch of plot holes

I doubt it’s that. I’m guessing they just couldn’t fit such big names into the budget. They saw they had hundreds of tracks already written and figured they could save in this area. I don’t think it paid off, as a fan, but others don’t seem as bothered by the music.

Yeah, as early as Feb 2016 Magic Monaco, Suzuki was talking about using unused tracks from the original sessions.

I doubt it’s that. I’m guessing they just couldn’t fit such big names into the budget. They saw they had hundreds of tracks already written and figured they could save in this area. I don’t think it paid off, as a fan, but others don’t seem as bothered by the music.

The soundtrack situation really hurt to me. Opinions are all over the place about certain elements of the Shenmue series (combat, story, gameplay structure, etc), but the one thing I see people agree on the most is the Shenmue soundtrack is stellar. Sad to see how it turned out with this one.

It would be better if they just used all the original materials rather than just recycle so much we already associate with past games. Obviously if we get a Shenmue 4 it would be good if he created some original music again before they end up running out. Or at least stop relying on the music already in past games. Some is fine but they went overboard with it.

Early contributors possibly only signed on for the pre-production phase of the project. It happens all the time in game dev. Some developers enjoy pre-prod more than full production, others the opposite.

It would be better if they just used all the original materials rather than just recycle so much we already associate with past games. Obviously if we get a Shenmue 4 it would be good if he created some original music again before they end up running out. Or at least stop relying on the music already in past games. Some is fine but they went overboard with it.

The biggest problem IMO is not the proportion of repeated music, but rather that they picked many of the most iconic tracks, and placed them out of context. If they had repeated FREE tracks (from I) or unimportant store tracks from II, the problem would have been much less.

(Of course, on the other hand, the tracks they picked are probably higher quality than those random that I suggest, and I understand they might have wanted to showcase them, but I still would have preferred an uninspiring but coherent soundtrack than what we got).

More Indian names on there than Japanese ones.

The average annual wage in Tokyo for a game developer is around $60,000 while in India it’s around $6,000. So you can pay 10 people in India to work on your game or 1 guy in Tokyo.

This is what made me laugh when people tried to compare the budget of S3 to the Witcher 2 or 3 which is made in Poland which also has much lower wages where they can have a team 3 times the size for the same money YSnet could.

Did Kid Nocon make the final credits? I guess it would be under his real name, but no idea what that is :p

It's a shame that Ryuji Iuchi wasn't responsible for the audio direction at the later stages of development. What we've got in the end is a massive slap in the face for the fans.

It's a shame that Ryuji Iuchi wasn't responsible for the audio direction at the later stages of development. What we've got in the end is a massive slap in the face for the fans.
That's a little extreme. If you dont like it fair enough but I've seen plenty who've been more than happy with it you certainly don't speak for all the fans.

That's a little extreme. If you dont like it fair enough but I've seen plenty who've been more than happy with it you certainly don't speak for all the fans.

During the Kickstarter campaign, we were sure that 1 thing we shouldn't worry about is music. Maybe I exaggerated the problem, but the fact is that Shenmue 3 audio direction is much worse than the one from previous games, and reuse of the tracks ruins immersion sometimes.

During the Kickstarter campaign, we were sure that 1 thing we shouldn't worry about is music. Maybe I exaggerated the problem, but the fact is that Shenmue 3 audio direction is much worse than the one from previous games, and reuse of the tracks ruins immersion sometimes.
I agree some tracks are misplaced but I think it was a cost saving exercise. Using current/unused tracks was a sensible use of budget but I get where you're coming from.

No developers specialized in combat neither.

Did Kid Nocon make the final credits? I guess it would be under his real name, but no idea what that is :p
I think so. I don't remember what his role exactly was, but while scrolling the credits, I spotted a Korean name among the 3D designers, it must be him ;)

Back