Shenmue III | The Story goes on - Launch Trailer

What do you guys think about how Ren's role changed from S2? At the time he was just thinking of following Ryo in his journey for the $$$ he could make of the mirrors, but we see in this trailer he is kicking down together with Ryo of the Dojo where Lan Di is, placing himself literally in mortal danger, while definitely being aware that this will be nothing like the Don Niu fight and the chances of them getting out alive, if we think logically are near zero, but he still goes ahead with it. Quite admirable I think :)

You missed a bit of the point, I feel. In 'mue II, we have:

- Him continuing to help Ryo, even though this, "treasure," appears to be mythical and isn't even referred to as such (until Yuanda Zhu calls it that). Hell, Ren even says that he can smell the money involved, but doesn't know anything more than we do. Him coming back to help shows that he's starting to care less and less about money.
- The pretty big deal breaker that shows he's not in it for the money, is at the end of the fight with Dou Niu, when Lan Di pulls away, he stops Ryo and says, "I'm not giving up!" Him saying that, proves to me that he will help Ryo regardless of what is going on.

There are numerous other little instances and nuances, that shows he really cares deep down and it becomes less about money; I don't believe Zoltor is correct, as Ren IS all about the money and every time he mentions it, he means it (not to mention the schemes he pulls {or tries to pull} in the game, are all based around him getting money out of it). But, his shell is starting to crack and the money scale is being slowly tipped from being, "all-in," to, "not as important as the main goal."

I think Ren has gone through different stages throughout.

To begin with, he didn't care about Ryo, he just seen him as another fool to scam money out of, but as time went on, he started caring less about money and more about the adventure and even Ryo too. As soon as Ren seen the phoenix mirror and heard Lan Di's name mentioned, he was never going to let it go, his personality is too mischievous to let it go.

There are times in Kowloon where Ren says he is done, but he keeps coming back for more, and I think it's because he can't help himself. His growing friendship with Ryo and his fondness for mischief keeps dragging him back.

And it will all lead to his doom. Tough scene. Should’ve just stuck with worrying about money/survival.

And it will all lead to his doom. Tough scene. Should’ve just stuck with worrying about money/survival.

Yes exactly. Usually being a greedy, selfish twat is just taunting the wrath of karma, but not in this case.

1st of It's clear Ren was never truly "that" bad, and 2nd the universe needs a death to teach Ryo a final lesson, which look who's conveniently in the way/seems extra.

Yes exactly. Usually being a greedy, selfish twat is just taunting the wrath of karma, but not in this case.

1st of It's clear Ren was never truly "that" bad, and 2nd the universe needs a death to teach Ryo a final lesson, which look who's conveniently in the way/seems extra.

Ryo hasn't yet encountered someone close to him dying directly or indirectly due to his actions. He'll finally learn what his father meant by "keep friends close to you."

Ryo hasn't yet encountered someone close to him dying directly or indirectly due to his actions. He'll finally learn what his father meant by "keep friends close to you."

Yep, precisely. I wager Shenmue 3 will have a lot of quality scenarios with him, to make it just all the more impactful when it happens, which will also translate to the player as well.

This will be the true catalyst get Ryo to finally move past revenge, and realize what's most important.

Back