Shenmue III Walmart Footage Discussion

I'm not gonna lie or sugar coat...that vacant expressionless look bothers me still. I mean he isn't even making eye contact with anything. I know, I hate to be that guy. But it just bothers me.

But then I see everything else in this trailer, smile and think "it's Shenmue III in motion! How can I possibly get too upset about this?"
He's likely unimportant so why waste resources on him?

If it helps, this seems to be a mix of old and new footage. I'd wager that footage is over a year old at this point.

I did have that in the back of my mind as well...especially given the fact that it still has the August 27th date on it...makes me wonder just how old this footage is and if anything has changed? Or is this representative of final build more than we think?

Will find out soon enough though.

Still that one nitpick aside...This 30 seconds did please me :) I"ve always said my expectations are in check given the 7 million dollar budget and all (that we know of) and I'm fine with it for the most part.

The 30 seconds left me beaming and wanting more! Roll on next week...I wasn't convinced before but now I'll be shocked if we don't get something longer next week.

We got a nice use of motion capture in the video aswell! Seems like they used motion capture for qte's and hand animated things for regular cutscenes; at least it looked like that last trailer.

In case anyone missed it, i've spoken to the world leaders of earth and June 6th is now officially @Cebman Day.

Happy Cebman Day Everyone.

E3!!!!

giphy.gif

Got a feeling i'll be using this gif quite alot lol
Love that gif ???

I think it mostly looks great.

Dat Forklift looks FUN. Yu said it wasnt as fast as the one in Shenmue 1 but to me it looked faster?

Model Details on Wack a Mole are great.

Chai looks amazing.

Shenhua looks amazing.

Shenhua sounds amazing.

Ren looks amazing.

Ren sounds amazing.

The colours are PERFECT

Outside Enviroments are so good.

Main characters moving/walking animations are great.

Inside enviroments detail is insane.

Ryos frown is so cool but still hilarious.

Fortune teller guy sounds pretty good and it feels weird not having a horrible dub...
Some small complaints/nitpicks

The angle of Ryo's hand during Whack a Mole is really weird to me.

Using some old models when the newer ones were perfect.

I dont like the angles of the combat either, and I just think it looks rough...which is no surprise its the same as the Monaco trailer mostly.

Facial animations are a bit stilted but they are acceptable to me.

I am sort of optimistic all these things will be fixed by the time of release.

Also I still want gameplay of Ryo walking through the city.

Last edited:
i'm still sceptical about E3. i mean we will hear about the press preview thing 100% from different people
because people already confirmed that they will see it. so we will get something without a doubt.

but now with the delay i dont know if there will be more content for the public.
this Walmart trailer has still the old date so i doubt that they will just change that and show it at E3.
its not even up to date footage and really short.
maybe they never wanted to show that trailer at E3 and they already had a newer one and they just had to change the date
but i doubt that they produced a new trailer in the time frame between delaying the game and E3.

for now i'm only expecting the reports from the people who saw the gameplay presentation and nothing more.

i'm still sceptical about E3. i mean we will hear about the press preview thing 100% from different people
because people already confirmed that they will see it. so we will get something without a doubt.

but now with the delay i dont know if there will be more content for the public.
this Walmart trailer has still the old date so i doubt that they will just change that and show it at E3.
its not even up to date footage and really short.
maybe they never wanted to show that trailer at E3 and they already had a newer one and they just had to change the date
but i doubt that they produced a new trailer in the time frame between delaying the game and E3.

for now i'm only expecting the reports from the people who saw the gameplay presentation and nothing more.

Who knows? It could show up next week in trailer form or maybe it shows up at Gamescom in trailer form. Honestly at this point who knows?

I would hope it shows up next week and I would hope this is all footage from a longer trailer that gets released sooner than later. But we will find out soon enough.

I'm not gonna lie or sugar coat...that vacant expressionless look bothers me still. I mean he isn't even making eye contact with anything. I know, I hate to be that guy. But it just bothers me.

But then I see everything else in this trailer, smile and think "it's Shenmue III in motion! How can I possibly get too upset about this?"
Looks completely fine to me...better than you get from most JRPGs in terms of standard NPCs. I know it's personal preference, but man, I really hope the game can shake the whole "dead faces" stigma by launch because it looks so much better every time we see it, and every time I show the game to friends (I do it a lot, I'm annoying like that) they don't even comment on the faces at all. When I told my work mate just then that people are obsessed with the models and faces he did not get it at all. And neither do I.

Look at the subtle movement in Ryo's eyebrows. Dramatic improvement! ✅

Forklift racing all but confirmed ✅

Ren sounds good and like Ren ✅

Chai looks incredible ✅

Looks completely fine to me...better than you get from most JRPGs in terms of standard NPCs. I know it's personal preference, but man, I really hope the game can shake the whole "dead faces" stigma by launch because it looks so much better every time we see it, and every time I show the game to friends (I do it a lot, I'm annoying like that) they don't even comment on the faces at all. When I told my work mate just then that people are obsessed with the models and faces he did not get it at all. And neither do I.

It's not so much the dead eyes that is my nitpick, I see plenty of dead eyes in games. I just played through 50 hours of Days Gone and there were plenty of Dead Eyes on the in-game models. Everytime you talked to a store owner in that game, it was dead eyed city and didn't bother me one bit....

My nitpick here is more so he isn't making eye contact with anything...he's just looking into the sky vacantly...given the context of the scene, you would think he would be making eye contact with Ryo or looking towards him at the threat coming his way. I think that's what bothers me about it. But instead he's just looking upwards at nothing. But again, I know I'm nitpicking and I know this isn't final build and still in progress. And I don't want to rain on peoples parades but hey, got to be me and to be somewhat critical.

Other than that I'm happy with everything else I saw in that 30 seconds and simply want more.

Chai looks like a demon in the clip! It might be the capture, but there is something about his eyes that makes him look really crazy!
Not that i apply that the guy was sane in the first game

Watched the Walmart footage one hundred times now and still counting!
Gonna have every single frame of that video seared into my brain by the time I go to sleep tonight.

Chai looks like a demon in the clip! It might be the capture, but there is something about his eyes that makes him look really crazy!
Not that i apply that the guy was sane in the first game
The arcade fight with Chai was the first time I began to suspect supernatural elements in Shenmue. There is definitely something very strange about him.

Kind of off topic but I wonder if there was anything exciting on the Xbox One and Switch kiosks at that Walmart. Also, what else was on the PS4 one? there could be some e3 leaks hanging out...

Back