Shenmue III - What Happened? ft. Super Eyepatch Wolf

This is why I skipped reading the comments after repsonding to only one and getting like 10 replies with how wrong I am how little I apparently know from following Shenmue for 20 years. So I yeeted the fuck out of those comments.
That's what really drives me nuts. I don't have an opinion for or against most youtube critics including this one but what I really can't stand are their fanbases that seem to get really over the top and seemingly offended that someone can actually find positive things to say about something they don't like.

Haven't watched the video but on a semi-on topic note, I don't get why some people are hellbent on calling Shenmue 3 some kind of "scum of the earth" game. I get why some don't like the game (I consider it a deeply flawed game myself though I did enjoy it) but there's far worse games out there. I'm about 90 percent sure half the comments are "shenmue = bad, yakuza = masterpiece" too since I've seen that on nearly every video of this type... don't get me wrong I do like the Yakuza series but for me the quality varies a lot (for example I loved 6/0/kiwami 2 but wasn't a big fan of 4 at all). At the end of the day I just try to tune most of that stuff out.

Though as much as I try to tune it out I do have to admit it makes me sad seeing videos like this get so much traction from people who likely don't even want to give the series in general a chance or try to see why some people really like them. I understand why it's a divisive series but I don't think that warrants some of the more extreme kinds of comments that I see every once in a while that primarily exist in youtube comment sections.

Shenmue is a on odd one in the wider gaming public as a whole.

There's the fans who adore it, people who get how groundbreaking it was but didn't like the games (fair comment) and those who almost resent it for no other reason than it is considered groundbreaking and they don't agree.

Yes it's not for everyone & you have to buy into the unique idea of the world and story but isn't that what substance is about?

Secondly, Yu Suzuki in the mainstrsam gaming public doesn't get the credit he deserves. This is a man who damn well invented 3d fighters, who pioneered 3d and open world. Speak to anyone who works in the industry and they have the utmost respect for him. Say what you want about Shenmue III and it's flaws, that's down to a personal opinion but there's a consensus we can all agree on, but that's not his whole works and people would do well to educate themselves on his works previous to Shenmue.

Thirdly is this Yakuza v Shenmue narrative. It's a cheap way of trying to score points in these videos. Would you have Yakuza without Shenmue? Nope.

Someone described Yakuza and Shenmue as cousin's. Both doing their own things, while sharing some common ground. Both are excellent franchises and people can like both. It's sad that wider gaming audiences try to pit them against each other when, chances are, you can enjoy both.

Thirdly is this Yakuza v Shenmue narrative. It's a cheap way of trying to score points in these videos. Would you have Yakuza without Shenmue? Nope.

Someone described Yakuza and Shenmue as cousin's. Both doing their own things, while sharing some common ground. Both are excellent franchises and people can like both. It's sad that wider gaming audiences try to pit them against each other when, chances are, you can enjoy both.

I agree 100 percent on that. Years ago I never even wanted to touch a single Yakuza game cause the Shenmue comparisons gave me very unrealistic expectations going in but after a friend of mine convinced me to get Yakuza 0 for 20 bucks I started to appreciate and enjoy both on their own merits (Especially Judgment since that had some more Shenmue elements in there like investigations).

To be honest, I grow weary of videos like these because all that has been said about Shenmue III has been said. I find it ironic that the critics in this video complain about Shenmue III being redundant when this video is just as redundant. I did not enjoy Shenmue III, but I have moved on and am looking forward to Shenmue IV. It's time for these critics do the same.

Someone should link him to the cedric interview with the Dojo admins to help him put things into perspective. Does he srsly think Yu's hands weren't tied and forced by many constraints outside his control? The reality we even get a AA Shenmue 3 downgraded from the AAA original while keeping the core spirit at all is worthy of credit. I've already made my peace, and is rooting for a more solid production value with SIV & a stable budget.

Someone should link him to the cedric interview with the Dojo admins to help him put things into perspective. Does he srsly think Yu's hands weren't tied and forced by many constraints outside his control? The reality we even get a AA Shenmue 3 downgraded from the AAA original while keeping the core spirit at all is worthy of credit. I've already made my peace, and is rooting for a more solid production value with SIV & a stable budget.
Exactly- it’s incredible that the game had as much to it as it did considering the budget. It just feels like these days there are either ‘AAA games’ (either released complete or in a glitchy clearly unfinished state) and ‘everything else’- and I think this really narrows people’s perceptions about whether a game is good or not. Not to sound like a cranky old man, but it’s not like the old days.

I think a lot of it is hive mentality; people want validation, so think "oh well this person I like hate this game, so I want to be like him, so should hate it too". I'll say it until I go blue, if you've played the game and don't like it then fair enough; you've taken the time to give it a try, but what I can't stand are people who have never played, never will, but will shit on it anyway. As much as I try not to lord it above others; I think people like that aren't worth validating. If their lives are so miserable they have to vent spleen on a game that they could easily ignore, it says a lot about them doesn't it?

As I was watching the video and SEW once again went into hyperbole mode, I thought to myself "hang on, we're in the middle of a pandemic that is killing hundreds and thousands of people, it feels like the world is on fire every day and you're *still* going on about how Shenmue has ruined you?!" The way it sounds, you'd think Suzuki personally went to his house, killed his dog and left a turd on his bed (please don't visualise this; Suzuki has too much dignity!)

Like I said, the main fellow wasn't that bad and I actually learned one or two new things; it's just SEW that I take issue with. The fact he was involved suggests the main guy (sorry, I don't know his name without looking back) didn't have much of a leg to stand on which speaks volumes.

@spud1897 - I couldn't say it any better; The viewpoint between the developers and the gaming public couldn't be far apart. In a way, it's a shame that Suzuki isn't as well known as say Miyamoto, Naka, Spencer, Kojima etc as the rise of knowledge behind the scenes of gaming was at a time when Suzuki was relegated to the background. I'll always give CD Projekt Red respect for that tweet with Suzuki at E3 and wish others would do the same.

Its the Internet. People whose lives are so empty and meaningless love to sit around on their computers feigning outrage over literally anything, including video games they have zero interest in and will never play.

Its the Internet. People whose lives are so empty and meaningless love to sit around on their computers feigning outrage over literally anything, including video games they have zero interest in and will never play.
Lockdown is probably making them even worse. Any kind of breath of fresh air they'd take has gone up in smoke.

On top of that, where the hell did this video pop up from anyway? Over a year after original release? Really does make you think about how mundane some people's lives must be.

Wondered when Matt would make a Wha Happened about S3. And most of the issues/ complaints came from SPW, not Matt.
Also, Matt does these videos upon request from his supporters. He doesn't really give much of a shit about Shenmue, one way or the other so he wasn't jumping on the shenmue hate bandwagon.

That said, I also didn't know that Yu worked on other titles that never even saw the light of day

Last edited:
Feel free haha. It would be pretty obvious if I did it :p

That said, I also didn't know that Yu worked on other titles that never even saw the light of day
I can think of a couple off the top of my head.

Propeller Arena was a flight game that was finished for the Dreamcast but didn't see release because of the WTC attacks that year.

Psy-Phi was a touch screen fighter, which was still in development and some cabinets were even shipped out but called back before reaching arcades. I remember Yu saying that the touch screen's got really hot after so long of playing. It was eventually cancelled, probably due to a number of factors though.

Not going to watch the video. I do not need some random dudes on the internet to tell me which games to like and which games to hate. The whole influencer business is not my cup of tea. I find it ridiculous . I personally liked Shenmue 3. But I am not offended if other fans feel different. I liked it because it was solid experience and it was still Shenmue. Most venerable game series tend to chance to please the new gaming crowd (people that were not even born when the original came out) Shenmue did not to that. It was the same game experience as it was in the past. Which is great.

Yeap, nope, not doing it! Not giving them the satisfaction of a click!

If I want to hear people complain about Shenmue III, I'll just re-read through the post-release threads here. I feel like I've heard every complaint about Shenmue III there is (some I agree with and others I don't) and don't need to hear anymore.

BTW, for someone who has "wasted his life waiting for Shenmue III", he sure likes to keep wasting his life complaining about it! ;)

Someone feel free to give me the TLDW version instead...I got translating to do instead of wasting my life hearing someone hate for the sake of hating because their whole life thrives on getting clicks.

I honestly feel I can't give two fucks anymore about people complaining about Shenmue III. I liked it warts and all. That's enough for me. I don't need to hear people nonstop complain about it.

Last edited:
I got tempted. But only for the first half. Then I started SMH at how utterly pathetic this sorry excuse for a Youtuber named Johnny AKA Super Eyepatch Wolf was over something as "trivial" as a video game, when it could have been something a hell of a lot more serious, such as a family tragedy, or a traffic accident, or a Covid infection or something.
This is what experts call Internet folks. It's a tool used by many to cover their identity to justify their questionable actions, and then go as far as to shove their false/warped propaganda down as many people's throats as possible. Of course, when you try to justify the true part of the story they will simply plug their ears and continue doing so as long as they undergo an "orgasm" of virtual pleasure and monetary gain. They have supporters, who I like to call "sentries", who will attack anyone who is righteous enough to reveal the truth behind the lurking evil.
In our case, we have the Shenmue franchise, which paved the path to many modern RPG games, but because of the heartwarming, "boring", rule-abiding nature of the games and the infamous development hell, the franchise was nearly forgotten. If we were currently between 1999 and 2001, people would find these games revolutionary, and people would be "friendlier" and less "virtually spoiled". Alas we're in the 2020s: political corruption, protests, riots, rapid climate change and of course the Covid pandemic warped and brain-washed (too)many people's minds and are now using the Internet as a refuge from reality.
Sadly, if people won't change, nothing will. Drama Youtubers are rapidly increasing simply because they have too much spare time. But we at SD are different, let us ignore that anyone ever reviewed Shenmue III, and simply focus on the future. We're going to have complete remakes of the first two games, and if everything goes well, we'll have Shenmue IV in no time.

I got tempted. But only for the first half. Then I started SMH at how utterly pathetic this sorry excuse for a Youtuber named Johnny AKA Super Eyepatch Wolf was over something as "trivial" as a video game, when it could have been something a hell of a lot more serious, such as a family tragedy, or a traffic accident, or a Covid infection or something.
This is what experts call Internet folks. It's a tool used by many to cover their identity to justify their questionable actions, and then go as far as to shove their false/warped propaganda down as many people's throats as possible. Of course, when you try to justify the true part of the story they will simply plug their ears and continue doing so as long as they undergo an "orgasm" of virtual pleasure and monetary gain. They have supporters, who I like to call "sentries", who will attack anyone who is righteous enough to reveal the truth behind the lurking evil.
In our case, we have the Shenmue franchise, which paved the path to many modern RPG games, but because of the heartwarming, "boring", rule-abiding nature of the games and the infamous development hell, the franchise was nearly forgotten. If we were currently between 1999 and 2001, people would find these games revolutionary, and people would be "friendlier" and less "virtually spoiled". Alas we're in the 2020s: political corruption, protests, riots, rapid climate change and of course the Covid pandemic warped and brain-washed (too)many people's minds and are now using the Internet as a refuge from reality.
Sadly, if people won't change, nothing will. Drama Youtubers are rapidly increasing simply because they have too much spare time. But we at SD are different, let us ignore that anyone ever reviewed Shenmue III, and simply focus on the future. We're going to have complete remakes of the first two games, and if everything goes well, we'll have Shenmue IV in no time.
The remakes got un-canceled?

The remakes got un-canceled?
Not exactly un-canceled per se if you count the official remakes. A team of modders lead by LemonHaze are working on a mod that will reimagine and therefore remake the first two Shenmue games in yes, UE4. It's called the Shenmue Dragon and Phoenix Collection. Check the Shenmue I and II thread for more info.

Back