Shenmue III - What Happened? ft. Super Eyepatch Wolf

I love Wha Happun--er, "What Happened?". (Why doesn't the logo match the description name? Er, I digress again.) I was pretty excited to see Matt covering Shenmue III, even knowing that the series is usually about things that don't go so well.

Then I saw Super Eyepatch Wolf and cringed a little. Honestly, I like some of SEW's videos (his critiques on the Simpsons are on point), but something about the Shenmue 3 one was just a turn off. It felt like an angry message board poster, which isn't to say there wasn't valid criticism, it just seemed a little too personal to be entirely objective.

Overall, honestly, not a bad video. On par with any other What Happened?, even if it hits closer to home!

The video isn't too bad and there are some valid points raised.

That said though, that super eye patch wolf dude is a snake ass weasel. He sold out the series for clicks, money, and outrage, so I got no respect for that guy and hope I never see him in anything shenmue related again. He's purposely missed out information to fit his outrage, hysterical, narrative and drove hate towards the series, while he profited from it. Very slimy dude. He reminds me of those work colleagues you have at your job. You can speak to them and get along with them, but deep down, you know they're a snake and can't be trusted

I've also never heard a man whine so much in my entire life

Last edited:
But is it anything new we haven't heard before? I think I'm at the point where I've heard every critique about the game both good and bad that unless it's something new then I just can't be bothered to hear it.

That said though, that super eye patch wolf dude is a snake ass weasel. He sold out the series for clicks, money, and outrage, so I got no respect for that guy and hope I never see him in anything shenmue related again. He's purposely missed out information to fit his outrage, hysterical, narrative and drove hate towards the series, while he profited from it. Very slimy dude. He reminds me of those work colleagues you have at your job. You can speak to them and get along with them, but deep down, you know they're a snake and can't be trusted

I've also never heard a man whine so much in my entire life
I still like him! Aside from his awful Shenmue III takes, he makes excellent videos and I've got so many good tv-shows, animes and stuff to watch from his recommendations. Also his first Shenmue video, about the first two games, is actually damn good. Too bad he had to fucking ruin it with his awful Shenmue III vid.

I don't mind if these people call Yu Suzuki a hack at this point as it's an opinion, but saying that Ryo performs worse in combat when staying on his low stamina/ health bar default is plain wrong. Have they even played the game? Ryo actually has an additional mechanical skill on this mode, so it's a high risk, high reward trade-off by not eating before battles. Also, it might be a button mash fest for the casual crowd, but that applies basically to any action oriented game so I don't see the problem. And most fear playing games on their hardest setting, yet dare to speak about the merits of their action mechanics. I have my gripes with S3 but it has nothing to do with Yu Suzuki not copying what mainstream games are doing today or the lack of a satisfying story arc.
Also, the comments about the Yakuza comparison even to this day drive me crazy. Think about it. Does Shenmue have random battles? Is it what you as a player do most of the time in-game? Do Yakuza have "puzzles" in order to advance the game or is it mostly go to this indicated GPS position and fight this number of guys? So how is Yakuza an evolution when their main gaming component is not even the same? Is GTA an evolution of Yakuza as it also got mini-games and fist fighting, but better because of car chases and gun fights?

I also want to point out this: He's not a bad video creator. Compared to me; I can barely use a video editor program and I know nothing about how to make animations, use photoshop and so forth. I'm all for free speech even thou I strongly disagree. As a Shenmue fan I don't want some video like this to affect the future possibility of a fourth game, or to give Shenmue worse repetition than it already has. The video creator said earlier that he was a fan of the two first games (if I remembered it correctly), but if that is the case, then why would he want to cause more damage when there's an anime on it's way and from it's profits there is a higher potential for a 4th game - a real Shenmue. I don't think this makes any sense.. is he a fan, at all?

I also want to point out this: He's not a bad video creator. Compared to me; I can barely use a video editor program and I know nothing about how to make animations, use photoshop and so forth. I'm all for free speech even thou I strongly disagree. As a Shenmue fan I don't want some video like this to affect the future possibility of a fourth game, or to give Shenmue worse repetition than it already has. The video creator said earlier that he was a fan of the two first games (if I remembered it correctly), but if that is the case, then why would he want to cause more damage when there's an anime on it's way and from it's profits there is a higher potential for a 4th game - a real Shenmue. I don't think this makes any sense.. is he really a fan at all?
I really do believe he is. He wouldn't make such an emotional video about the first two games otherwise (yet he couldn't go without a clickbaity-ish title).

As a Shenmue fan I don't want some video like this to affect the future possibility of a fourth game
Nah, Shenmue 4 will be fine, I wouldn't worry.

It was being pitched to publishers in December last we heard, so we know it's going ahead. If the mixed reaction to Shenmue 3 had truly upset YS Net, they would have rinsed their hands of it.

If anything, YS Net are now even more aware of the things to address in the fourth game (i.e. combat, story progression).

Nah, Shenmue 4 will be fine, I wouldn't worry.

It was being pitched to publishers in December last we heard, so we know it's going ahead. If the mixed reaction to Shenmue 3 had truly upset YS Net, they would have rinsed their hands of it.

If anything, YS Net are now even more aware of the things to address in the fourth game (i.e. combat, story progression).
:D Well I like the sound of that. And anything bad about Shenmue can actually have a reversed effect and attract more people who wants to see what all the fuss is about.

I defended the last video that Eyepatch Wolf did. And then someone here mentioned that the guy sounded too “breathy” in his narration. I’ve since been unable to un-hear that pretentiousness in the guy’s videos and have since unsubscribed from him.
...sorry about that :ROFLMAO:

I really do believe he is. He wouldn't make such an emotional video about the first two games otherwise (yet he couldn't go without a clickbaity-ish title).

He definitely used to be a fan, but even in that "Tragic History" video, it really doesn't sound like he enjoyed Shenmue 1 at all upon revisiting it, so I don't think it's a "die-hard fan who just didn't like S3" scenario.

From memory I think he says S2 is a better game in every way, but then spends hardly any time at all expanding on it, perhaps because it didn't fit the "tragic" (negative) tone of the video...?

I've had multiple friends mention his S3 video to me in real life, and they were genuinely surprised to find out gambling isn't the only way to make money in S3, so yeah, he misleads people. Maybe not intentionally, and I'm not saying it's some sort of crime. He just isn't one of my favourites, no where near.

I have not watched a single video of this guy. I released quite some time ago, that I am

im-getting-too-e81364324a.jpg

on gaming youtube. It is a shallow place with shallow people that make no videos with substance. It is just random babbling with personal opinions. You can learn nothing new from it.

And this guy mentioned here looks like the classic shallow gaming youtuber that loves drama.

Luckily these people won't effect Shenmue in a negative way. The main customers that like the videos such people make are not the main audience for Shenmue. So it should be alright.

Thanks for sharing @ShenSun . Have heard some excerpts of the original video now thanks to the links you posted and I am underwhelmed. It seems much worse than I though. His complaints seem to be so generic. This wolve guy seems to be the most generic gamer ever. His complaints about the "outdated" aspects of the game are really funny. As if everything modern day game design comes up is really that important.

Seeing the gaming world with your own eyes is much more fun than following blinking icons on the map or follow blindly a Minimap. A main aspect of Shenmue is navigating.

This guy can hardly be fan of the series if he wants to water down the exploration elements with some funny modern day features.

His opinion on the combat system also seems quite strange.

But never mind.

It is a shallow place with shallow people that make no videos with substance.
I agree that's the case with 90% of Gaming YouTubers, but it's only fair to point out that great gaming channels do exist -- people who actually do their research and don't chase the negativity click train. Of course, most of the time they're nowhere near as popular, but they're there.

As far as popular channels go (million+ views), I'd actually say Dunkey is a quality game critic. It may only be his subjective opinion but I'm fine with that. I'd also say Scott The Woz is fantastic for funny yet informative videos.

Some popular channels lead with clickbaity titles but the content of their videos are solid. I'd put Caddicarus in that category.

Then there are hundreds of smaller channels that do excellent game critique, and even more excellent retro gaming channels. So yeah, I genuinely love watching YouTube -- it's just a shame the negativity seems to rise to the top.

@orient Fair point. But so far only weird channels appeared on my youtube feed. And always when I checked the videos out I could never watch them to the end. Mindless babbling personal opinions that cater the main stream taste and do not even do the research well.

But there are some gems for sure. It is just hard to find them. When it comes to gaming I prefer to hear some German podcasts done be former video game journalists with more than 20 years of experience. There you can get information without the youtube drama.

it is really a pity that the negative rant youtubers over shine the decent ones that do some really solid research.

I am also not against people expressing their personal opinion that is what youtube was made far. But to often opinions are disguised as solid facts and that is so misleading.

ps: thanks for your advice orient I won't write of gaming yt completely maybe I am going to find some hidden gems that deserve to be noticed and get some more traffic.

Last edited:
Okay, I watched it. I caved and watched it. I decided to keep an open mind and watch it. And....it's all the same things I've heard in both his prior video and here in this very forum many times before. Exactly what I thought.

One thing I will touch on though is the constant reminder that Kickstarter wasn't the way to go to make this happen.

THEN YOU WOULDN'T HAVE THE BLOODY GAME IF IT HADN'T HAVE BEEN KICKSTARTED! YOU WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OF THE GOOD STUFF THAT HAS HAPPENED RECENTLY IF NOT FOR THAT.

Speaking bluntly, no one else was paying for it! SEGA wasn't paying for it. SONY wasn't paying for it in full. Microsoft didn't have any interest in it. Kickstarter was the ONLY way it happened. I guess I'm just sick and tired of the backlash. People begged for this game for years on end and when they finally got it, they still bitch and moan because it wasn't the ideal game they built in their own head for years on end. Yeah, I know the game wasn't perfect. I have my own issues with it too. But I'd still take what we got over having nothing.

And now look at what we have? We have an Anime to look forward to. A potential for Shenmue IV. The HD re-releases which probably still wouldn't exist if not for SIII because let's be honest, SEGA wasn't doing jack shit with them until that Kickstarter broke records. More merchandise than we can throw money at. And yet, it's never enough. Because a bunch of people can't let go of the fact that this is not AM2 of 2000 where they had an open check book to make a full scale AAA game and this is YSNET 2016-2019 who had a fluctuating budget and limited resources. And yet, they still gave us something that came close to feeling like Shenmue even with those constraints. But hey, why applaud them? Just scrutinize everything it does wrong instead and never let it go because being negative is the trendy thing to be on the internet.

Sorry, just needed to vent that. It got really tiring to hear that throughout the video. Sure, Kickstarter wasn't ideal. But for what we got? We got another chance to play a new Shenmue. That was good enough for me warts and all and I guess I'm just tired of the moaners complaining because it wasn't their ideal version of Shenmue III that they built in their own mind.

Sorry for the vent folks, but it's so bloody tiring to hear these same points over and over again.

Last edited:
If only Matt didn't have SEPW on, it would be fine. Matt is usually neutral unless it's something obviously bad.

Propeller Arena was a flight game that was finished for the Dreamcast but didn't see release because of the WTC attacks that year.

One of the greatest games AM2 has ever made and they've made a ton of superb titles.

It would've been a huge game for Online, had it been released and I wish I could play it against someone, as I got very good at it! :(

I agree that's the case with 90% of Gaming YouTubers, but it's only fair to point out that great gaming channels do exist -- people who actually do their research and don't chase the negativity click train. Of course, most of the time they're nowhere near as popular, but they're there.

As far as popular channels go (million+ views), I'd actually say Dunkey is a quality game critic. It may only be his subjective opinion but I'm fine with that. I'd also say Scott The Woz is fantastic for funny yet informative videos.

Some popular channels lead with clickbaity titles but the content of their videos are solid. I'd put Caddicarus in that category.

Then there are hundreds of smaller channels that do excellent game critique, and even more excellent retro gaming channels. So yeah, I genuinely love watching YouTube -- it's just a shame the negativity seems to rise to the top.

Even some YTers that had good content though, are trending towards the negative.

I don't want to always bring him up/harp on him, but Sega Lord X used to have fresh, superb content in his early days and (as I always mention), his video about Sega Arcade Super-Scaler Racers was an incredible video and the best one I've seen him do; it was also the first video of his I ever watched.

Now, his videos take a more general, negative tone and when I finally commented on one (where he rips apart Alex Kidd), I pointed out that he was purposely playing the game in a way to fit his negative spin on it and not playing it correctly to, you know, WIN AT THE GAME.

He had never done that in his prior videos, he always showcased what the game had to offer, but when he started shitting on something, he had the content to match, which was beyond misleading and dishonest.

Sadly, I believe each and every YTer knows what gets the clicks and the ad revenue, thus they will all tailor their content to be like that, even if they didn't start out that way; everyone hops on fads and trends, after all.

Anyways, in regards to this video, didn't watch it, didn't watch the other guy's video and never will; I have better uses for my time.

Last edited:
I think a lot of it is hive mentality; people want validation, so think "oh well this person I like hate this game, so I want to be like him, so should hate it too".
It’s the, ‘notice me, senpai,’ for me.

I defended the last video that Eyepatch Wolf did. And then someone here mentioned that the guy sounded too “breathy” in his narration. I’ve since been unable to un-hear that pretentiousness in the guy’s videos and have since unsubscribed from him.
It’s like nails on a chalkboard, and lives in my nightmares.

Sadly, I believe each and every YTer knows what gets the clicks and the ad revenue, thus they will all tailor their content to be like that, even if they didn't start out that way; everyone hops on fads and trends, after all.
Something else to potentially consider is that, as I understand it, YT seems to put a lot of stock into comments on videos—probably because there’s a lot more data there than just thumbs up/thumbs down. Possibly the most effective way of generating comments is by shaking up a hornet’s nest and playing a couple groups against each other.

Back