Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

I see often de comparison of Yakuza 7 costing 21 millions and Shenmue 3 costing 20 millions.

It's worth noting that Yakuza is now a long lasting series using the same assets as the previous one and it's important to say that the setting and the city is the same (with a few exceptions) and without the same depth as Shenmues has. So they use an engine and assets that they already know very well, and have a team that knows exactly how all of this works.

Meanwhile Shenmue 3 was created from scratch. They had to create everything from blank, while learning how to use the UE4 engine. So, if they were to make exactly Shenmue 3 as it is now with the knowledge of UE4 and the majority of the assets already done, it would probably cost a lot less, or they could have done much more with 20 millions.

It's also worth saying that a huge part of the budget came mid-development, the dev started in August 2015 and Deep Silver came and gave a budget during August or September (don't remember) 2017. While Yakuza is being developed internally in SEGA so they were probably aware of their budget before starting production, which may have simplified planification which Shenmue 3 didn't have

I firmly believe we'll get Shenmue IV it's just a matter of when? I don't expect the anime to take up to much of Yu's time so hopefully we'll get a announcement in 2021 though with covid-19 throwing a wrench into everybody's plans this year. I can see them punting the announcement til 2022

I firmly believe we'll get Shenmue IV it's just a matter of when? I don't expect the anime to take up to much of Yu's time so hopefully we'll get a announcement in 2021 though with covid-19 throwing a wrench into everybody's plans this year. I can see them punting the announcement til 2022
I also belive(d) so. Unfortunately, with the ongoing events in the world (not just the one you mentioned) I think it could be delayed for many more years, or worse, cancelled. Not just because of what is happening at the time of writing, but mainly because of what is coming. The Shenmue series has partly been suffering of bad timing, or "bad luck". But we will see. If Sh IV has been worked on at a certain percentage (wich the earlier Sh III footage may indicate) the game could be released earlier than expected. But now with the game expected to be released for PS5 (bad timing, again?) with newer graphics and overall higher expectations of gamplay, I can't see Sh IV being released in a very long time regardless of the assets being there since Sh III. Every aspect needs improvements including the foundation that has been built from Sh III. To avoid being a "failure" that some claimed Sh III to be, everything needs to be finetuned so that it suits the next generation of gaming.
I do however lean more towards it being released. Sh III was a miracle so there may be more miracles around the corner.

I'm missing the everyday talk leading up to S3. It's quite nostalgic at this point in time. It came out just before the shit hit the fan with COVID. I'm hoping for some news regarding S4 to get us into fluent discussions -- and my mind (somewhat) off this health crisis -- and building back some community for the continuation of Ryo's (and our) adventure.

11f237c545ef6f9b046b30a83dd7f482.jpg

Playing Shenmue III again after a year's break and taking my time, i'm almost giddy with the thought of a Shenmue IV.

Compared to the start of the year when this thread was created, I feel more confident than ever we will get it. There's an interesting newspiece here about a PlayStation boss saying that investing in new blockbuster IP's is becoming more risky. Now Shenmue not only has a devoted fanbase, but it also doesn't need to be $100m. I would be quite content with Shenmue IV being of a similar budget to III truth be told.

Playing Shenmue III again after a year's break and taking my time, i'm almost giddy with the thought of a Shenmue IV.

Compared to the start of the year when this thread was created, I feel more confident than ever we will get it. There's an interesting newspiece here about a PlayStation boss saying that investing in new blockbuster IP's is becoming more risky. Now Shenmue not only has a devoted fanbase, but it also doesn't need to be $100m. I would be quite content with Shenmue IV being of a similar budget to III truth be told.
Sincerely, all they have to do for Shenmue 4 is making the story a bit more consistent, make a good staging and rework the fighting system and honestly, IMHO, you'll go from good game to great game.

They already have a really good base to work on, so I do believe Shenmue 4 will be really great.

And I am happy to see that Cédric is still interested about making Shenmue 4 and say it directly, not utilizing the hide & seek technique of "we'll see, it's complicated, we have to take alot into account, etc..." (you know the typical intentional "we won't say") but say loudly "Yes we want to do it"

Also meaning that they were satisfied with the humble success of Shenmue 3.

Might be quiet until we get a trailer for the anime.

Thought it was worth mentioning but Terminator Resistance which came out the week before Shenmue 3 to far less sales is getting an enhanced PS5 version

The Terminator license can't have been cheap either so i'd be gobsmacked if they made a profit on this

the gamestat number only really jump up in April when it was being sold for £13.99 on PSN (which coincidentally, is when I bought it)

btw decent AA game if you're a fan.

Can someone please explain to me how gamestat is still accurate if it is still using numbers from a year old leak? Am I wrong here? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand.

Can someone please explain to me how gamestat is still accurate if it is still using numbers from a year old leak? Am I wrong here? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand.
They do go into their methodology and, prior to shutting down last month, I believe it projected figures based on their actual data - so for example, they found out that game X had sold 1m copies in December 2018 and that at their time, Y% of their sample set had played it. If in December 2019 1.5 * Y% had played it, they would assume that the total number of sales had risen to 1.5m.

Their methodology for games released post December 2018 followed along the same lines. Say, for example, that Y% of their sample set had also played game Z, they’d more or less assume that game Z had also sold 1m (iirc there was a bit more to it than that, but that was the gist of it).

Generally speaking I’d assume that their figures for big releases weren’t too far off, but this methodology really doesn’t work when it comes to smaller releases due to the huge margins of error and the biases within their sample set (which can in no way he effectively measured).

The short answer to your question is that they’re not because they stopped tracking growth last month, but even before that they were giving ballpark figures at the very best.

Thought it was worth mentioning but Terminator Resistance which came out the week before Shenmue 3 to far less sales is getting an enhanced PS5 version

The Terminator license can't have been cheap either so i'd be gobsmacked if they made a profit on this

the gamestat number only really jump up in April when it was being sold for £13.99 on PSN (which coincidentally, is when I bought it)

btw decent AA game if you're a fan.

That was a great game. A true sequel to terminator 2

Jacob rivers is the man

Back