Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

(When asked if he wants to continue with game development in general - not specifically Shenmue related): "I can't say specifically but we're working on something at the moment. I can't say more than that at the moment".
Stealing this one from the Air Twister chat, with Switch's translation.

That's got to be Shenmue 4, right? 🙏

Yeah… unless it’s something else small scale like Air Twister the chance that it’s anything non-Shenmue has to be minuscule. Unless he’s just functioning in a co-producer role.

Probably reading into nothing here but I thought this was interesting phrasing from ININ. "We're not the ones handling Shenmue"? Does that mean there's someone else who IS handling Shenmue? Who? What do you know!? 😅

View attachment 18850
It would be SEGA generally unless they've got something going we don't know about.

Of course YSNET would do 4 if they can.

It would be SEGA generally unless they've got something going we don't know about.

Of course YSNET would do 4 if they can.
Was meaning someone else besides the obvious haha 😬 Sure SEGA are technically always "Handling" Shenmue, albeit with the lightest possible touch.

Joking aside it is actually good to have ININ clearly state they aren't involved with Shenmue in contrast to the whole 110 situation. I just hope someone else has or will soon pick it up for 4.

I think we will hear from any Shenmue Announcement after the switch release of Air Twister.

Ideally speaking it would make a lot of sense to re-release the first 2 on Switch and of course the third installment if they have a chance and then slowly build up to a release of the 4th one. Its now happening in Germany with the rerelease of the Gothic Series on Switch called Gothic Classic building up to a completely new Gothic Remake of the first one next year.
I don't know nothing about programming or porting or whatever. But I can imagine it wouldn't be so hard to port an already playable playstation version of Shenmue 1 and 2 HD onto Switch.

My guess is something is in the making... if its Shenmue related it will be IV most likely... if not... its also great... maybe its a new Virtue fighter and Yu can upgrade the Fighting System so to speak :D for a new Shenmue in the future. Yu is back in business and its a delight. Who knows - maybe Air Twister will pick up some steam (pun intended) on Switch. The gameplay is so ideal for that handheld!

All in all I think we will see the end of the journey. All it takes is time and some wu patience.

I still haven’t heard why the Air Twister showcase was hosted by Konami. It was really random because I don’t think Konami has anything to do with Air Twister.

EDIT
It seems like maybe they were just using the stage and Konami didn’t have anything to do with Air Twister or Yu Suzuki.

I know for a while Konami quit the gaming business around the time of PT/Silent Hills but they’re doing more with Silent Hill now so I had hoped maybe they’re involved with Shenmue in some capacity.

Last edited:
I forgot this

but that "looking back on competitive fighting games"
and then this photo appeared in March 2023

with Seiji Aoki, current producer of Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown

maybe that game is Virtua Fighter 6
Virtua Fighter 6 with Quest mode in line with Street Fighter 6 World mode. Meaning, Akira's Quest or VF RPG.

In general, it is very rare for a famous developer to return to his old company in Japan.

There are many examples. Kamiya and Mikami will never return to Capcom... Hideo Kojima will never return to Konami, Sakaguchi will never return to Square-Enix, Itagaki will never return to Tecmo, Yuji Naka and Mizuguchi will never return to SEGA... However, they can do business together as separate companies. This is also rare, but it does happen.

Virtua Fighter 5 was created without Yu Suzuki or at least I don't recall hearing that he was working on the game. They can easily make the 6th part without him if they want.

I think Sammy-SEGA can make a modern imitation of any Yu Suzuki game.... everything except Shenmue. Considering SEGA's interest in Shenmue so far, I think there should be at least one other player (investor) besides them and Ysnet. At least that's what I think. :) If that's not the case, Ysnet are probably making a new game for Apple Arcade.

In general, it is very rare for a famous developer to return to his old company in Japan.

There are many examples. Kamiya and Mikami will never return to Capcom... Hideo Kojima will never return to Konami, Sakaguchi will never return to Square-Enix, Itagaki will never return to Tecmo, Yuji Naka and Mizuguchi will never return to SEGA... However, they can do business together as separate companies. This is also rare, but it does happen.

True, however there are some exceptions, even in Sega.
For example Ryuta Ueda (original Yakuza, Jet Set Radio etc.) returned to Sega after 10 years.

Back