Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

We're going crazy with Shenmue 4. Maybe it's better for us to forget about Shenmue 4 for a while and come back in a few months.๐Ÿ˜‚

With the Brianna thing...I may be wrong, but I don't think she is really into the Shenmue community. It seems like Shenhua was just another job. Which is fine, I mean outside of Corey, Paul, Eric, and Lisle, which of the English voice actors have attempted to take part in the community?

With the Brianna thing...I may be wrong, but I don't think she is really into the Shenmue community. It seems like Shenhua was just another job. Which is fine, I mean outside of Corey, Paul, Eric, and Lisle, which of the English voice actors have attempted to take part in the community?

I don't think she is and that's fine. I mean, she didn't even list Shenmue III in her bio. Then again, that's fine, but I think people shouldn't get their hopes up and try in the future to read anything from her as a hint about Shenmue. It sounds more like a job she did and moved on. (Which then again is fine, totally understandable and not a criticism).

Especially considering she thought Shenhua was a new character

When did she say that? I don't expect every person who works on Shenmue, let alone a voice actor/actress to know everything about Shenmue.

It's fine if she doesn't really know much about the series, I'm just confused as to why she was so confident here about Shenhua being a new character.
I think it's terrible, but it's not her fault. She should be brought up to speed, although a little research into who your character is might help. The English VA is just such a weight on this series...

Kickstarter is fucking cursed. I would give the same amount I gave for S3 if they went that route, but every Japanese game that attempts crowd funding ends up mired in controversy.

It's because people are entitled as shit. No company goes out of their way to scam, frustrate, annoy or rip off their fans through Kickstarter. Managing and trying to build a crowdfunded project from scratch and alone is tough with plenty of obstacles and plenty that can go wrong. Nearly every company or person who runs a crowdfunded project tries their best.

If fans could learn to accept that and stop banging on about their 'pound of flesh' they think they're owed from Kickstarters and bullying developers, then the world would be a better place.

Shenhua does speak in some dreams from S1, like for instance when you get close to the bad ending, she says "Hurry! The dragon is approaching!" or something like that.

It's at least a bit unprofessional not to read up on who your character is, when you go into a job on a third installment of a series, but ok. S3 probably was a one-off job for most voice actors and we don't know if S4 will even get an English dub, if it gets made, so no use worrying about it.

My theory is that the direction purposely silenced the truth to make her feel free about her interpretation and not to try mimics too much. Or the translator completely missed the part between Yu and the dub director... Has she responded something?

She must feel puzzled now. Is Yu going to get her call soon lol?

Last edited:
I don't know if the director allowed her to interpret the role herself. I've seen a short interview where she talked about the direction for Shenhua. She said that she wasn't used to talk that way and had to practice a bit to speak less expressive.
Then I also saw an interview where Corey (or possibly Yu or the voice director) said that recurring roles would mostly stick to how they sounded before. New characters got more freedom.

Regarding not knowing much about Shenhua. It's possible that they approached Brianna and only told her that Shenhua was a new character. If so, there would be less of a reason for her to check out earlier voice work I guess?

I don't think she is and that's fine. I mean, she didn't even list Shenmue III in her bio.
Shenmue 3 is in her video games reel though. The thumbnail is Shenhua.

Sheโ€™s just a voice actress that reads lines off a piece of paper at the discretion of the director. I doubt given her age she even knew much about Shenmue at all prior to just another line item to her IMDB resume - and thatโ€™s Ok, nothing bad or wrong about not being a fan. Iโ€™m more unhappy with the fundamental core changes to her character from S2 to S3, she almost does feel like a new character.

As someone who has played the Shenmue series almost exclusively in English (the only exception is when I imported the UK version back in 2001 on DC), I pray that Shenmue 4 omits the English dub. Think how much budget that would free up for stuff that actually matters.

Back