Shenmue The Animation Announced

Positivity is what got us Shenmue 3 and the uncertain future of the game series.
I for one hope that Shenmue fans are as critical as possible moving forward.
I was down on the idea of Shenmue IV + being an anime or manga and I also thought it was financially impossible given the precarious nature of Shenmue 3. When we discussed the anime/manga stuff, we were talking about it completely replacing the video game series. I'm glad I'm wrong, and I think it's a good thing they might reach a wider audience with a rebooted Shenmue series. I STAND CORRECTED.

I hope not from a personal perspective. I much preferred the grounded direction in terms of cutscenes and camera movement than sometimes the overtly stylized nature of some scenes in Shenmue 3.

I hope in some ways they can be different by still compliment one another in terms of the anime adaptation.
I was just talking about the character design and the overhaul artstyle.

Oh well, I said something different a few months ago. I still would rather see the series resolve itself as a game, but why would I have an issue with new fans getting into the story with an anime?
I can agree that I'd like a game.. this anime will hopefully make the future of the game series look a lot brighter by bringing in more fans.

This has made me even happier than the Shenmue 3 announcement. I've always wanted to see the story adapted to anime, but didn't think there was a cat in hell's chance that it would ever happen.

This whole anime thing will potentially (in the future) open up for a prequel about Ryo and also one for Iwao's life story.
If there's enough interest in it... And other side story related stuff as well. Ren's background story for example.

The more interested people get in the characters the more they want to know about them.

There is potential in story telling here because it's much ´easier´ to make an anime series than a game. Right?
There are many possibilities.

Wow 13 parts! Sounds like a lavish production worthy of the material. I just hope they use as much as the source material as possible - music is the big one for me but Im really excited to see this. :love:

I would be much more excited for the train chapter than the boat chapter. It had a card in the VF RPG concepts, and it featured on the Project Berkeley video.
Oh I forgot about that chapter. I think they have to re-write that chapter if it's gonna fit into the story.. Because I think Ryo originally was supposed to meet Shenhua for the first time on a train. I think Yu said that. (Maybe someone can confirm that).

But yeah I'd like to se a train chapter as well. I wouldn't mind it at all. As long as it fit in well.

Man, I didn't have ANY expectative for the rumor, but damn, this is just amazing, and in so many ways.
1- The art looks great and the guy has a great rapsheet.
2- Even Adult Swim is betting on the project (I guess this means more potential watchers).
3- A Shenmue project that is geared towards more adult audience ? FUCK THE FUCK YEAH
4- This project is SEGA, if this turns out well for them, a lot more funding could be in hand for S4,

And man, the jap neo noir touch of the first Shenmue is a great setting for an anime.
I'm so fucking hyped.

Positivity is what got us Shenmue 3 and the uncertain future of the game series.
I for one hope that Shenmue fans are as critical as possible moving forward.

I was talking about singling MJQ out about a past comment he made.
Now's not really the time for petty remarks.

Whether you think Shenmue 3 was or wasn't a worthy entry into the series isn't something to be discussed here, there are other threads to bring that up in.

This announcement about the anime is good for the future of the series (how can it not be?) and that is what we should be focusing on.

Holy Shit!!!! lol this is awesome! Honestly doesn't get better than this!! Added story stuff they couldn't fit in the games!! Yu Suzuki & Sega involved? Greenlit just after Shenmue 3?? The original Logo!! WTF!! When is it out?!?

According to the article you can make a crunchy roll free account and watch the announcement at the expo.

Fans eager to see the launch announcement can register for a free Virtual Crunchyroll Expo badge on crunchyrollexpo.com and can access the Crunchyroll Industry Panel in the V-CRX On-Demand section

Just looked at the page but I'm not sure it's up yet! I'm looking over all the VODs for Shenmue but cannot find it. It might not have happened yet I guess, but the IGN article says the announcement already happened?

Everyone who is on Twitter, make sure you follow the official account! Get those numbers up!

Last edited:
Back