Should Shenmue III be released under the FREE label?

RyoHazuki84

俺が益荒男
Favourite title
Shenmue
If you refer to the back of your copies of the original Dreamcast game (that's if you still have them), especially with Japanese releases, it tends to show the label of the genre. As we all know, Shenmue was intended to create a new genre called FREE, or Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment. Since open world games have been progressing since the 2000s, IMHO, not many of them live up to what I believe was Suzuki's vision for the FREE genre. I feel many open world games today just treat the world as a playground with no limits as opposed to being a world where you feel like you can be a part of. I'm not saying that's necessiarily a bad thing, but I do enjoy how characters can explain to you where to find a place or how to find a guy. I just don't like how there's a mark on your map and you got to find it. I just find that too limiting and restrictive in that sense.

With Shenmue, certain places and the people that work there stick out. At the Abe Candy Shop, there's always that old lady there who is friendly with Ryo, and she's an accurate representation of those kind of ma and pa shop personalities. With the Tomato Mart, you'll hear a tune at a convenience store in some real life such as Family Mart. I like how you can interact and take a good look at objects, review items you collected, level up your moves, and just buy things that are applicably useful.

While MGSV has a crazy and wide world you can explore, it's not like you can freely talk to anyone. While you are aware of conflicts going on, there's nothing like in MGSIV where you can change the influence of a war zone. In MGSV, you don't actively see the Muhajadeen and the Soviet soldier actively fighting each other, though it is often stated. I was hoping that in MGSV, you'd get to actively take part in that conflict and once again change the outcome. MGSV is a fun game in its own right, but takes the open world genre in that notion of treating it like a playground as opposed to being a truly interactive world.

To me, most open world games are style over substance and I know that Shenmue is the reverse. Considering that Shenmue still has features in context to open world games that still stand the test of time, I still want Shenmue III to live up to Suzuki's vision of FREE and hope that he releases the title under that label.

I think part of that comes down to how interactive the world is in Shenmue 3.

Shenmue 1 has a world that is very close knit and has an emphasis on being a part of it.

2 given it's scale is more of a world passes you by scenario so while it is FREE it is much harder to engage in the worldly goings on, though this is rather deliberate.

The character perspective system could add to the FREE idea. Decisions change how characters interact with you and thus the world around it.

For me as long as the world is interactive and that it's not like Yakuzas world (which is great and sets tone but doesn't draw you in like Dobuita did) then FREE would be fine.

Yeah... with today's mindset, I'm pretty sure using the acronym would be a bad idea. Just spell it out so that there's no confusion or some idiot somewhere is going to try and start a lawsuit against Ys Net and/or Yu Suzuki. Then some idiot judge that shouldn't be in the position of power that he has will make the incredibly stupid decision to grant a win to the original idiot that created the lawsuit.

Welcome to 2018 where you can't expect logic any longer.

I love the FREE acronym but a part of what is endearing to me is its awkwardness. Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment? It's a little forced, and people won't really know what to make of it at first glance. I suppose referring to it as Open World is for the best, as that will be understandable to most people. But it would be great if there are some in-game objects that reference the FREE name. I loved opening Ryo's drawers and seeing Master System notebooks. Something like that would be fun.

I have no idea what kind of game Shenmue 3 will be. While I can only hope it will be more like the first game where "FREE" really fit, chances are it will blend in more with other open world games of today. But if it IS like Shenmue1, I'd love for it to have that label again...

"What? It's free?"
"No, you dumb arse, it's FREE!"
"SO I'VE GOT TO SHOUT THAT IT'S FREE?"

Regardless, on the OST released for the game, hopefully they call the tracks "FREE Theme 1, 2, 3 etc" Or maybe they will go for the Shenmue 2 approach and have music for specific areas again?

I love the FREE acronym but a part of what is endearing to me is its awkwardness. Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment? It's a little forced, and people won't really know what to make of it at first glance. I suppose referring to it as Open World is for the best, as that will be understandable to most people. But it would be great if there are some in-game objects that reference the FREE name. I loved opening Ryo's drawers and seeing Master System notebooks. Something like that would be fun.

Yes, that labeling feels very Japanese.

At the time, the label made more sense because there was nothing like Shenmue. Now, everything is doing what Shenmue did back then, so using an outdated label will just confuse people. Plus, it's a pretty bad name, as people have said. It's kind of the epitome of "Japanese people who don't know English trying to create an English phrase".

I always found it to sound a little too much like an awkward marketing gimmick.

That being said, it does summon some good nostalgia, and I've like to see a little reference or two in Shenmue III!

Yeah, it does sound that way. But considering Suzuki’s reputation of wanting to create distinct experiences, I feel the label is legit and I feel it wouldn’t be Shenmue without it.

Granted open world has expanded since Shenmue, I feel a large majority, even Yakuza, have yet to truly capture what made Shenmue uniqen

Back