General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

Damn guys!! I read many positive comments of people who got to play the game earlier. So i keep good faith on these rereleases. You guys scare me for a moment. lol Some minor smal bugs can't be thaaaaaat epic. Chill! Wait for the patch (I also think that the game should be finished on disc but thats how things are now.)
I sincerely hope that those small bugs don't hurt the reviews....

the QTE scene at the harbor with the two thugs is in 16:9 fullscreen if you choose the 16:9 option in the menue
and you can still see that the fleeing guy is frozen because he would be out of frame in 4:3.

I think that by fan pressure and fear of waiting more for a good realease date window (without any major release near it) Sega ended up rushing this... we all could have waited more... D3t must be working day and night now, whith oly two days away from the release. It shouldn't be this way. But yeah... Still more than happy to play tuesday.

the QTE scene at the harbor with the two thugs is in 16:9 fullscreen if you choose the 16:9 option in the menue
and you can still see that the fleeing guy is frozen because he would be out of frame in 4:3.
Lmao wow. I'm usually optimistic about issues but wow. Isn't the point of the 4:3 cutscenes to hide errors like this yet they didnt make that particular scene 4:3? I hope its patched. In the meantime im tempted to just play the game my first time through fully in 4:3. I am glad it is an option you can choose.

im tempted to just play the game my first time through fully in 4:3. I am glad it is an option you can choose.
I'll definitely give both a shot but I'm leaning towards 4:3 as I did with emulation for the most part.

I totally get that it's an outdated aspect ratio but it will be less jarring when switching to cutscenes (not that I minded in Shenmue II) and my TV now is way bigger than the one I had back in the Dreamcast and original Xbox days so overall it will still feel like an upgrade to me.

I think @Peter 's decision to comply with Sega's request is absolutely right.
I don't understand why Sega asked to remove the promo material and box art though, because the box art, reversible cover and the included double sided poster aren't new, and were officially released to the public by Sega when the re-release was announced, including the screenshots used on the back cover. The artwork used in them has also been online since the Dreamcast days. But again, since Sega has asked for it, I'd have removed the promo material right away had Peter left them in my earlier post.

well at least the framerate is super stable at the harbor too. no stuttering, no drops.
the microstuttering that you can see in the trailers,
is not a thing in the game. so far Shenmue 1 has 100% stable 30 fps on PS4.

Last edited:
So is the status so far on patching that, the Xbox One version is more patched than the PS4?
Because I also received the massive Xbox patches. Seems like so far thats the version to go ahead and play first atm?

Wonder if the Monday patch is the same as the latest big Xbox One patch (1.3)? Any impressions on that patch so far?

Wonder if the Monday patch is the same as the latest big Xbox One patch (1.3)? Any impressions on that patch so far?
Most people are playing on a PS4, so it's hard to seek out impressions on that particular patch.
Someone in the Resetera OT seems to have gotten an Xbox One copy, perhaps someone with account there can ask him if he encountered any issues so far?

Did come across an amusing bug earlier where the Chicken Leg capsule toy was invisible. Made all the better by Ryo's "Hey, what's this?" remark!

The only big cutscene bug I've seen was the first in-gameplay cutscene between Ryo and Ine-san (in the Hazuki residence) taking place with the camera focused on the clock in Ryo's bedroom!

Great to have the game on PS4! I Misplaced my DC copy a while ago so this will do quite nicely for me :)

I got the xb1 version today. There was an 800mb patch for s1 and a 2gb patch for s2.

The game still has severe problems. Crashes to dashboard, crushed blacks, bloom that switches itself on whenever you open the notebook, even though the bloom was off. Music is wonky in places. QTE title music only works on the first play you have. If you choose to play again, then the music will be missing. Slow down is still present in dobuita, although nowhere near as bad as the DC version, but it is still there. Character pop in can still be quite a problem, especially with the bikers, I had them both literally appear right in front of me earlier : /

I truly hope these patches aren't the day 1 updates..

I love how for years, people have been saying that Shenmue was ahead of its time. That Yu Suzuki was way ahead of his time....

Yet 20 years later, a couple of old games, that could "apparently" be easily be remade/remastered/re-released, present so many small issues that fans get so hellbent out of shape about. Understandably yes, but at the same time, from a grand scheme of things perspective...really?
No offence, but I genuinely believe that Adam Koralik was right in regards to the original source code, "being held together with rubber bands", and to go one further, I would say that even the best remake/remaster development studios would have had their work cut out with these games.

Despite all of the problems that we currently see, D3T have my utmost respect, simply for having the balls to take this project on in the first place, and for attempting to re-release the biggest and most ambitious game ever attempted by the legendary Yu Suzuki and his AM2 team.

Simple as that.

I really do not mean this post to sound confrontational or ignorant to the issues these games have, far from it. I am just taking some time to appreciate and respect both the work and achievements of Yu Suzuki, AM2, and D3T. That's all. Something i feel has been sincerely lost over the course of the past few days.

The French guy who has been streaming for the past few days finished Shenmue II just a few minutes ago. I had him check Shenmue Collection, there is no videos section. So no Shenmue Saturn video this time around it seems. Oh well.

The French guy who has been streaming for the past few days finished Shenmue II just a few minutes ago. I had him check Shenmue Collection, there is no videos section. So no Shenmue Saturn video this time around it seems. Oh well.
Were there any extras? Hi-res manga perhaps?

Isn't that in the gallery section?

Back