Shenmue
Currently playing
Alan Wake
PSN
The_TimeRanger
Nintendo Friend Code
SW-4584-9310-8810
Greetings fellow Shenmue fans.

As you are fully aware of, many of you are getting the games earlier than expected. This is both awesome news, and a minefield for the Dojo staff to moderate. During the next periode of time, we might see an increase of new members and new fans of the series. And to avoid them being spoiled (i know it's an old game etc.) that might not want the game spoiled.

But also, there are many of us who won't be getting the game until the actual release date, which is still Tuesday 21st august., and might not want to be spoiled to the features, the new UI, gameplay features, before they can experience it them selves, in their own setting of choice.

So we are kindly asking everyone to please respect those who don't want to be spoiled, and keep the discussion here in this thread for the time being.

The moderators will be extra alert this weekend and following week.

To those whole have received the game, keep these things in mind:
  • The game isn't officially out yet, and the game will reportedly receive a huge day one patch fixing bugs, issues and alike.
  • But more importantly: Have fun, enjoy the games and keep friends, those you love close to you ❤️
- The Shenmue Dojo Staff

Last edited:
Thanks for making this thread.

Watching the footage so far, there are some glitches that will hopefully be fixed in the day one patch:

- Various audio bugs, sound effects not playing, music that sounds 'wrong', and mixing issues,etc...
- QTE prompts not 'flashing' in Shenmue 1 (But they do flash in 2 for some reason)
- Slow downs at certain instances.

Otherwise, the remaster looks great, I'm actually surprised at how much of a non-issue having the cutscenes at 4:3, I could barely notice it, even in Shenmue 2.

Loading times are so quick, and NPCs don't phase in 'n out as much as they used to on DC.

Just to be clear, is it OK to post spoilers outside of the megathread at midnight of release day?

Thanks for making this thread.

Watching the footage so far, there are some glitches that will hopefully be fixed in the day one patch:

- Various audio bugs, sound effects not playing, music that sounds 'wrong', and mixing issues,etc...
- QTE prompts not 'flashing' in Shenmue 1 (But they do flash in 2 for some reason)
- Slow downs at certain instances.

Otherwise, the remaster looks great, I'm actually surprised at how much of a non-issue having the cutscenes at 4:3, I could barely notice it, even in Shenmue 2.

Loading times are so quick, and NPCs don't phase in 'n out as much as they used to on DC.
I think in Shenmue 1 the QTEs flash sometimes, such as during QTE Title?

Yes until 12am on Tuesday, if you want to post anything you have seen regarding the re-releases, or even played since copies are now in the post, it goes in here for now.

It means people know full well what will be in here, and the choice is in their hands if they want to be spoiled or not.

I've been watching the streams and VODs all day long and I have to say I'm extremely disappointed. The bloom looks like shit(I know it can be turned off but still), all the audio issues(SFX being too loud or too quiet or not playing at all, music issues, weird echoey voices glitch sometimes), and a lot of other weird bugs (camera getting stuck in cutscenes, weird pop-in and shadows glitching in and out, QTE prompts not flashing or showing up in weird ways), and then strange unexplainable changes(no title screen music, title screen logo is red, THE MYSTERY OF THE BLUE CLOWN ON TOMS HOTDOG TRUCK). Why did they limit cutscenes to 4:3 but not the QTEs? The QTEs have problems in 16:9(stuff not animating or freezing outside the original area) which is why the cutscenes remain 4:3 so what the hell?

I know theres this supposed magical Day 1 patch but will it fix everything? D3T isn't known for fixing their products(The new Genesis collection is still pretty crap and its been out for a good while now). Apparently there was a patch yesterday and it did nothing. What are the odds they crank out a patch in less than 4 days that fixes the entire game? Unlikely.

We also haven't even seen Shenmue 2 yet and honestly that was the game I was expecting to have issues, not Shenmue 1. It's a much bigger and more ambitious game so theres way more room for error. I expect to be super broken if the first game is any indicator.

We as fans deserved better and we should demand better. You shouldn't just sit here and look at all these issues and say that its ok because it isn't. Shenmue wasn't saved, it was butchered in the backyard and served for school lunch. Newcomers to the series who play this and see these issues probably wouldn't know they're porting issues, they'll just think its a shitty broken game. They're gonna wonder why the hell is the screen size changing every 5 minutes (especially Shenmue 2 which has 3 DIFFERENT ASPECT RATIOS).

As a final point to end this wall of text, I just want to say that it is heartbreaking to see my two most favorite games turn out like this. All they had to do was the bare minimum and they couldn't even manage that. Sad.

Last edited:
i played the game for about 4 hours now. i'm on PS4 Pro, no framerate problems at all so far and no crashes.
i noticed 2 bugs in this time. first one is that sometimes the mouth of the speaking character does not move
and the second bug was when you are introduced to the kitten. my screen went completely black in that cutscene
but i still saw the subtitles. the game worked fine again after that scene. sometimes there are some minor light/shadow glitches
on the side of the screen, probably a 16:9 problem. but until now im totally fine with it.

you can change hd rendering, 16:9/4:3 format and bloom individually.

I have been watching a few streams and videos here and there, and I think it's still too soon to judge the overall quality based on what's leaked until we play the retail copy with the promised day one patch applied. I've come across a few game breaking bugs in AAA games in the past, the last one I had problems with was Detroit and that bug was towards the end of the game and caused the entire game to crash every time and prevented any further progress beyond it, I've reported that bug back to Sony and it has been eventually fixed after a few patches. None of the bugs I noticed in the leaked re-release footage was by any means game breaking.

May I suggest that we start compiling a detailed and well-documented list of any bugs we come across so that Sega and d3t are fully aware of them, and they hopefully fix them in upcoming updates? I guess it's something we as a community can help Sega and d3t with in order to iron out any left bugs and glitches.

Last edited:
Oh wow... This does not sound good :(

I knew there was a reason why Sega was so defensive about the leak and were so quick to start talking about a day one patch. Not to mention that 99% of day one patches launch the week before release and we're still apparently waiting for this one... And yeah, I got suspicious when I heard d3t were behind the atrocious Genesis Collection.

Finally the blanket ban has been lifted!

I have zero faith in the day one patch, but I'll reserve judgement until then. I just can't believe the glitches I'm seeing and hearing about man, I have a bad feeling about this...

the QTE buttons on PS4 are a bit flat and colorless. sometimes i dont even notice that there is a button on the screen.
i have the advantage that i know the QTE scenes from older playthroughs
but i think there is a chance that new players have no idea whats going on

The fact the 'significant' patch is not already live is disconcerting, but I'll wait until Tuesday and will reserve judgement until then.
Maybe the patch isn't out because it's still being worked on? and the day-one patch doesn't necessarily mean it'd be the final patch but I guess we can have an initial verdict once it's out. There will always be room for further fixes and improvements through upcoming updates so let's hope for the best.

Maybe the patch isn't out because it's still being worked on? and the day-one patch doesn't necessarily mean it'd be the final patch but I guess we can have an initial verdict once it's out. There will always be room for further fixes and improvements through upcoming updates so let's hope for the best.
"The best" would be a complete game on disk...

A patch came out 2 days ago and did nothing, if you have faith that they're going to be able to iron out the entire game(and whatever problems shenmue 2 has, nobody has streamed gameplay of that yet so we don't know) all in less than 4 days that is extremely wishful thinking.

But hey if they can do I'll gladly eat my words.

"The best" would be a complete game on disk...
I agree, but post-release patches and updates have existed since the PS3 days and they've become a part of modern gaming whether we like it or not.

A patch came out 2 days ago and did nothing, if you have faith that they're going to be able to iron out the entire game(and whatever problems shenmue 2 has, nobody has streamed gameplay of that yet so we don't know) all in less than 4 days that is extremely wishful thinking.
But hey if they can do I'll gladly eat my words.
I've been trying to find the reason behind the delayed release date in Japan, and the remaining bugs and glitches could be just that. so I would still expect improvements and bug-fixes to come along the way till that very date. I know it might end up being wishful thinking but as long as the game isn't available world-wide I'd still hope for more work to be done on it.

after i put the disc in my PS4, i had to click on both icons of Shenmue 1 & 2
and it downloaded 200 mb for Shenmue 1 and 1.7 gb for Shenmue 2.

you can put the application icons for 1 & 2 in another custom folder
but you cant move the Shenmue HD application icon of the disc. if you press options on that icon,
all you can do is "reject disc".

Seems like an legit albeit small gaming press channel has uploaded the first 60 minutes of Shenmue 1. This is the first gameplay i've seen where the copy of the game that has been ''provided by the publisher'' according to the description of the video. Also you can clearly see in the first seconds of the video the patch is installed. I thought the embargo lifted on the 20th so maybe they jumped the gun?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back