General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

I do have a sort of nostalgic fondness for the dub, but I certainly wouldn't recommend any newcomer uses it. Shenmue is all about atmosphere and immersion, and the dub snaps you out of it. It's outright detrimental to the game imo.

can't believe people actually played this game with the english voice overs. Best to stick with japanese

So much this. Playing SI in JPN this time around was amazing! Loved it. But I'll never know if the Japanese acting is also as cheesy bad it's good (cause yes, nostalgia, had to turn the ENG on for the sailors bit), I suspect they might be. Whenever watching Norwegian actors in Norwegian crime shows I'm like "noooooo shtaaaappp it! So fake!", but make it a Swedish crime fiction and I'm like "God, these Swedes, so good!". And that's just a minor adaption from what my ears are used to. I'm also much more forgiving towards British acting than American, same reasons.

I would like to hear from smn Japanese whether or not the Japanese version is better! Like, is it just as awkward? Is the English better even?

The current elitism attitude being shown by people who prefer the Jap dub is just silly now. I'm putting it down to the influx of weabos into the Shenmue scene ?

Also, theres no way you can tell me Lan Di is better in Japanese. It has nowhere near the impact in that opening cutscene.
Paul Lucas is the best voice actor of either dubs and he's only on Eng dub. (Lan Di and Chai)

The current elitism attitude being shown by people who prefer the Jap dub is just silly now. I'm putting it down to the influx of weabos into the Shenmue scene ?

Also, theres no way you can tell me Lan Di is better in Japanese. It has nowhere near the impact in that opening cutscene.
Paul Lucas is the best voice actor of either dubs and he's only on Eng dub. (Lan Di and Chai)
Lan Di in English is great and also Terrys voice in 1 is very very good.

Not necessarily. I first played PAL SII on DC before getting Shenmue on DC and can say without a doubt that personally, I was somewhat disappointed with having to play I with English VO. That’s not to say that I expect everyone to feel the same as me.

Although I agree Lan Di is awesome in English.

Don't think it's elitism, just as a whole it adds to the immersion. Since your playing in an asian country, hearing the asian languange gives it abit of auntheticity.

Shenmue 3 though must have chinese dubs this time. It will be a grave mistake to not have it in this day and age, since he is in china after all. Last thing i want to hear is a chinese talking in japanese.

It's outright detrimental to the game imo.

Don't agree with this whatsoever. The English dub if pretty campy, but to a lot of people that adds to the charm. Two friends I got to play recently actually really liked playing with the English dub over the Japanese one.

The dub is terrible, but all Sega dubs of that era were terrible. I don't even pay it much mind since I'm used to it. Remember House of the Dead?

I'm just so used to the English dub that playing the game with Japanese voices feels weird.
I definitely have to play through both 1 and 2 in Japanese someday.

I know this is just the way it's always been, but why does the music in the game restart every time you enter a new area?

Also, it's really funny when you speak to NPCs who are in conversation with one another and the NPC you aren't talking to continues their 'talking' animation while the NPC you're speaking with speaks with you. Ah, the unrefined days of gaming.

I know this is just the way it's always been, but why does the music in the game restart every time you enter a new area?

Also, it's really funny when you speak to NPCs who are in conversation with one another and the NPC you aren't talking to continues their 'talking' animation while the NPC you're speaking with speaks with you. Ah, the unrefined days of gaming.

Are you playing it in Japanese with English subs? If so, the reason the talking animation continues after they’ve finished talking is because it’s set to the English speech animation.

Nope. Playing with the English dub. I'm thinking of Sumiya-San in Sakuragaoka.

Back