Spoilers Shenmue The Animation: Episode 1 - Thunderclap - Thread

Ok, it'll be easier and quicker for me to tell what I dislike in this first episode, because there is only one thing I disliked, it's the Character Design. I dunno, the Characters, most of them, feel weird. Especially Nozomi that looks so not like the game. Ryo also has a less round and gentle face and more spiky-angry one. Couldn't recognize Fuku-San either, it was weird at first I thought it was another student of the dojo.
I do see your point here, but to me it seems like they're taking more inspiration from the original concept art instead of the models from the game. I don't think they look too dissimilar:

kLE89Y4.png

a9BxK2j.png

I really disagree, Ryo laughing moment with Nozomi was nice, and Nozomi looks like Nozomi, we have the games, now we are seeing another version of Shenmue, of course is important for the anime to be faithful to the games but does not have to be everything.

I like that they're lightening Ryo up, however I thought he was having a bit too hearty of a laugh considering he was just reflecting about his father. I absolutely think he should've been amused and chuckled, but his loud hearty laugh felt a little forced.

I really dig Nozomi though. She feels less passive in this adapation and I like that she actually approaches Ryo to break him out of his shell. She's feels much more engaging as a result.

I do see your point here, but to me it seems like they're taking more inspiration from the original concept art instead of the models from the game. I don't think they look too dissimilar:

kLE89Y4.png

a9BxK2j.png
To say a very famous quote from Ryo "I see..."

But yeah. I think they really managed to both take some liberties from the game(s), while really keeping this specific Shenmue feel.

I guess I'll get used to these Chara Design after 2-3 episodes, it's not a serious problem imo. I guess it's because I played the games that I felt "disoriented" because I am too used to the Chara Design of the games after so many replays haha

Can't wait for episode 2.

I haven't posted in a minute. Hey dudes!

Holy shit was that good. Second time this week a show has made me cry.

I had some concerns but man was this well put together. The animation is perfect for the story and holy shit that music, unreal. I appreciate some of the liberties they are taking with the story too, so its not just detective Ryo walking around alone. There is no way in hell they could mirror the game 1:1 and make it entertaining for people that aren't already fans of the series.

The entire scene in the Dojo with Chai was so perfectly done. I can't wait to see how the rest of this series plays out.

Maybe I need to play Shenmue 3 sooner than later...
Good to see you and glad you enjoyed!!

🚨 BTW, if you've got a moment...

Head over to My Anime List and join the page there to boost the popularity, and make sure to rank the series. Some salty people are already getting in there to downvote, so balance it out with a 9 or a 10 if you like what you've seen.
way ahead. but yes, this is important for @everyone here to do. Please and thanks yo!

Just watched the English dub. Not sure how, but they somehow managed to make it worse than the games. Guess I’ll be watching in Japanese only from here on out.

Haven't posted in quite a while, but loved this first episode and wanted to do a bit of an overall analysis of what I think this episode is doing with Ryo's character whilst looking at story, theme and so on.

So the first thing to say is it actually gives Ryo a mini-arc, so as to get him to a certain place by episode end, and imo follows through on it rather well.

An aspect of Ryo's "aloofness", (Yu's words) are seen at episode start, where, supremely confident, Ryo takes out his opponent in the tourney, "it's not your fault. Nobody has ever managed to land a punch on me before" (also his semi-dismissal of the teacher i.e. "I know".) He's supremely confident, and has never lost a fight.

After Iwao's death, the anime translates the Iwao flashbacks from the S1 game, not only with its own flashback, but also by way of Ryo more overtly pondering that he isn't "strong enough" - after all he was nearly killed by Lan di, couldn't save his father, and has been outclassed for the first time. A theme/subtext in the game flashbacks is that young (child) Ryo, and then 17 yr old Ryo, hasn't yet understood the true nature of Iwao's teachings. And so the anime finds itself in the same position, with its own version: Ryo just thinks you have to be generally "stronger" than your opponent, but Iwao tells him that isn't the case, and that he'll understand one day.

At episode end with the Chai fight, Ryo is initially defeated with a mirror of his defeat to Lan di earlier in the episode: a cut across the face followed by the gut punch that sends him sprawling across the dojo (and in the same location!). Chai's gloating "strength not enough" line echoes Iwaos earlier words, and Ryo finally recognises that his "aloof" concept of "strength" was never enough. So he turns it on its head: assume lack of strength, and instead precisely study your opponent to win.

The ensuing victory then represents a "first step" in Ryo's understanding: he has finally, finally understood his father, the "day has come" (Iwao's words) in that respect, albeit tragically as a result of Iwaos death. This essentially completes ryo's mini arc, and to my mind also incorporates some of the "polished mirror" themes from the game (especially if you add in the "perserverance" banner shot from earlier in the episode.)

It's unsurprising, and smart actually, that ep 1 would conclude with this first little arc: not only do we get a dramatic battle but it gets Ryo to where he needs to be for ep 2.

I think this development and the slight motivational shift away from the game is indeed a change, but I think its one which will turn out well based on how the series is going to unfold.

Ryo now verbalises that part of his motivation is not only to find out who his father really was, but to prove that he really was the man he thought he was.

"I've trained my entire life to surpass my father, but I never truly paid attention to him. That's why I need to learn about my father's past...Then I can be sure that my father was really the man I thought he was!"

By episode end, Ryo is now the man who has listened to his father at last (in this respect at least.) It doesn't preclude revenge as a big motivational factor still either - we see that when we see the way Ryo clenches his fist when thinking of Lan Di. Honestly I loved this whole speech and it got me emotional. I also love the way Ryo gives Fuku the credit with Chai, basically saying Fuku scared Chai off when it was Ryo who sent him packing.

All in all I loved how Ryo was represented here: his "aloofness" (already discussed), the inherent kindness/manners he shows, (the boy, Nozomi and Fuku) and his mopey irritability after Iwao's death. It's all there.

More thoughts to come!
Just wanted to say excellent analysis and I largely agree with your assessment. I expect to see these mini arcs throughout the episodes and as already seen a lot more evolution to Ryo’s character and personality.

I like that they're lightening Ryo up, however I thought he was having a bit too hearty of a laugh considering he was just reflecting about his father. I absolutely think he should've been amused and chuckled, but his loud hearty laugh felt a little forced.

I really dig Nozomi though. She feels less passive in this adapation and I like that she actually approaches Ryo to break him out of his shell. She's feels much more engaging as a result.

Well... people react in different ways, Ryo is trying to process everything that happened in that terrible day that he lost Iwao, some people even laugh like this to try to deal with bad situations, this way trying to run away from the bad things and bad thoughts, trying to hide the sad emotions. i like the scene and I like that Ryo is laughing, feeling sad and much more in the anime, I love Ryo in the games but I also love seeing this new version.

Haven't posted in quite a while, but loved this first episode and wanted to do a bit of an overall analysis of what I think this episode is doing with Ryo's character whilst looking at story, theme and so on.

So the first thing to say is it actually gives Ryo a mini-arc, so as to get him to a certain place by episode end, and imo follows through on it rather well.

An aspect of Ryo's "aloofness", (Yu's words) are seen at episode start, where, supremely confident, Ryo takes out his opponent in the tourney, "it's not your fault. Nobody has ever managed to land a punch on me before" (also his semi-dismissal of the teacher i.e. "I know".) He's supremely confident, and has never lost a fight.

After Iwao's death, the anime translates the Iwao flashbacks from the S1 game, not only with its own flashback, but also by way of Ryo more overtly pondering that he isn't "strong enough" - after all he was nearly killed by Lan di, couldn't save his father, and has been outclassed for the first time. A theme/subtext in the game flashbacks is that young (child) Ryo, and then 17 yr old Ryo, hasn't yet understood the true nature of Iwao's teachings. And so the anime finds itself in the same position, with its own version: Ryo just thinks you have to be generally "stronger" than your opponent, but Iwao tells him that isn't the case, and that he'll understand one day.

At episode end with the Chai fight, Ryo is initially defeated with a mirror of his defeat to Lan di earlier in the episode: a cut across the face followed by the gut punch that sends him sprawling across the dojo (and in the same location!). Chai's gloating "strength not enough" line echoes Iwaos earlier words, and Ryo finally recognises that his "aloof" concept of "strength" was never enough. So he turns it on its head: assume lack of strength, and instead precisely study your opponent to win.

The ensuing victory then represents a "first step" in Ryo's understanding: he has finally, finally understood his father, the "day has come" (Iwao's words) in that respect, albeit tragically as a result of Iwaos death. This essentially completes ryo's mini arc, and to my mind also incorporates some of the "polished mirror" themes from the game (especially if you add in the "perserverance" banner shot from earlier in the episode.)

It's unsurprising, and smart actually, that ep 1 would conclude with this first little arc: not only do we get a dramatic battle but it gets Ryo to where he needs to be for ep 2.

I think this development and the slight motivational shift away from the game is indeed a change, but I think its one which will turn out well based on how the series is going to unfold.

Ryo now verbalises that part of his motivation is not only to find out who his father really was, but to prove that he really was the man he thought he was.

"I've trained my entire life to surpass my father, but I never truly paid attention to him. That's why I need to learn about my father's past...Then I can be sure that my father was really the man I thought he was!"

By episode end, Ryo is now the man who has listened to his father at last (in this respect at least.) It doesn't preclude revenge as a big motivational factor still either - we see that when we see the way Ryo clenches his fist when thinking of Lan Di. Honestly I loved this whole speech and it got me emotional. I also love the way Ryo gives Fuku the credit with Chai, basically saying Fuku scared Chai off when it was Ryo who sent him packing.

All in all I loved how Ryo was represented here: his "aloofness" (already discussed), the inherent kindness/manners he shows, (the boy, Nozomi and Fuku) and his mopey irritability after Iwao's death. It's all there.

More thoughts to come!

Beautiful analysis and i agree a lot about Ryo Mini arc. In this episode we can see that Ryo is super confident in his strength, like nobody can defeat Ryo, but even Iwao said is not enough, then during the episode after Iwao's death Ryo starts to understand this.

I love this part so much, during the episode Ryo question more the things about his father, in the first game i just remember seeing Ryo saying a lot of times that he wants revenge and things like that but in the episode i noticed that Ryo question more things, i love that.

Last edited:
Well... people react in different ways, Ryo is trying to process everything that happened in that terrible day that he lost Iwao, some people even laugh like this to try to deal with bad situations, this way trying to run away from the bad things and bad thoughts, trying to hide the sad emotions.
Yeah, I remember 7 years ago when my cat died, my first reflex was to hysterically laugh for 5 minutes. Then I went on during my day, as if nothing happened. And then it's only at night when lying in bed that it hit me and started crying for hours and then couldn't find sleep.

Sometimes we have weird reaction to heavy bad things. I wasn't shocked that Ryo laughed in that scene.

Yeah, I remember 7 years ago when my cat died, my first reflex was to hysterically laugh for 5 minutes. Then I went on during my day, as if nothing happened. And then it's only at night when lying in bed that it hit me and started crying for hours and then couldn't find sleep.

Sometimes we have weird reaction to heavy bad things. I wasn't shocked that Ryo laughed in that scene.
Yeah, i've had a somewhat similar response to real life death as well. It's more of a defense reaction. It eventually catches up to you though.

I wonder if we'll see Ryo slowly begin to break down throughout the season

Back