SPOILERS - Shenmue The Animation Episode 12 "Guidepost" thread

edit: wrong thread

Going to be interesting to see if they move the scene here from Shenmue 3 where Lan Di kicks Ryo's ass, artwork suggests there may be a more up close encounter than just a helicopter stare off.

maxresdefaultggjem.jpg

Going to be interesting to see if they move the scene here from Shenmue 3 where Lan Di kicks Ryo's ass, artwork suggests there may be a more up close encounter than just a helicopter stare off.

maxresdefaultggjem.jpg
That is a very good point! The descriptions of the last 2 episodes suggest this is the case also....

I thought Kowloon would be finished in the next ep, with Guilin getting the final ep, but maybe not

That is a very good point! The descriptions of the last 2 episodes suggest this is the case also....

I thought Kowloon would be finished in the next ep, with Guilin getting the final ep, but maybe not
I don't know how Ryo would get out of that battle with Lan Di, in Shenmue 3 they had the convenient situation when Nioa Sun creates an interruption and sets the castle on fire.

I don't know how Ryo would get out of that battle with Lan Di, in Shenmue 3 they had the convenient situation when Nioa Sun creates an interruption and sets the castle on fire.

They have a bit of a fight in the first ep don't they, and Lan Di gives him the scar... So, I guess if they do end up fighting in the Kowloon rooftop it'll be with Lan Di considering Ryo so beneath him and unworthy of anything more than a put down and then tells Don Niu to finish him.

Or Lan Di with some honour/martial arts code, depending on how they write it... He only ever kills Iwao, who he believes killed his father, after all.
That's obviously to draw parallels between Ryo and Lan Di, Ryo basically being on the path to becoming Lan Di.

Will be interesting regardless!

They have a bit of a fight in the first ep don't they, and Lan Di gives him the scar... So, I guess if they do end up fighting in the Kowloon rooftop it'll be with Lan Di considering Ryo so beneath him and unworthy of anything more than a put down and then tells Don Niu to finish him.

Or Lan Di with some honour/martial arts code, depending on how they write it... He only ever kills Iwao, who he believes killed his father, after all.
That's obviously to draw parallels between Ryo and Lan Di, Ryo basically being on the path to becoming Lan Di.

Will be interesting regardless!

This is what I was thinking, he basically laughs Ryo off as not even close to being a threat and buggers off on the helicopter, maybe after Ryo tries to engage him in battle.

Then we get the Dou Niu fight.

Otherwise, for me anyway, you would lose the significance of the S3 encounter where Lan Di notes Ryo's abilities have improved and sees fit to engage in a fight.

Not sure how legit the rotten tomatoes episode descriptions are but the final 2 episodes seem to be mapped out

Episode 12- ''Ryo and Ren manage to sneak into the Yellow Heads' headquarters to rescue Yuanda Zhu, but they are expected and it's a trap.''
Episode 13- ''Ryo finally reaches Lan Di, the man who murdered his father, and, blinded by revenge, Ryo viciously attacks Lan Di, who easily dodges Ryo's attacks and leaves; Yellow Heads' Dou Niu realizes his plan has failed and attacks Ryo.''

Seems like all of 12 is taken up with the Baihu fight and chase sequences, only reaching the rooftop at the end.
13 starting on the rooftop and a new Lan Di confrontation, then the Don Niu fight and then Yuanda Zhu's information on the mirrors and small bit of Guilin and meeting Shenhua, end. So not actually reaching the cave ending as shown at the beginning.
Or, maybe the whole journey back to Bailu Village after meeting is massively cut down and they do get to that point within the last half of 13?

Or maybe the descriptions are wrong? Seems like a lot of time given in 12 to the build up (maybe new stuff?) if the rooftop fight doesn't happen in 12.

Not sure how legit the rotten tomatoes episode descriptions are but the final 2 episodes seem to be mapped out

Episode 12- ''Ryo and Ren manage to sneak into the Yellow Heads' headquarters to rescue Yuanda Zhu, but they are expected and it's a trap.''
Episode 13- ''Ryo finally reaches Lan Di, the man who murdered his father, and, blinded by revenge, Ryo viciously attacks Lan Di, who easily dodges Ryo's attacks and leaves; Yellow Heads' Dou Niu realizes his plan has failed and attacks Ryo.''

Seems like all of 12 is taken up with the Baihu fight and chase sequences, only reaching the rooftop at the end.
13 starting on the rooftop and a new Lan Di confrontation, then the Don Niu fight and then Yuanda Zhu's information on the mirrors and small bit of Guilin and meeting Shenhua, end. So not actually reaching the cave ending as shown at the beginning.
Or, maybe the whole journey back to Bailu Village after meeting is massively cut down and they do get to that point within the last half of 13?

Or maybe the descriptions are wrong? Seems like a lot of time given in 12 to the build up (maybe new stuff?) if the rooftop fight doesn't happen in 12.
Didn't Jason Demarco say when the anime was initially announced that it would not cover all of Shenmue II?

If those RT descriptions are true that would be a huge change to the games. If they do a second season and adapt S3 that would really undermine the fight with Lan DI in Niaowu.

Also, they really could wrap up the YH building next episode and have the final one be for Guilin. It seems strange to split the rest of Kowloon into 2 episodes

In this next episode... we get a fight with Master Baihu... a fight with Chi You Men guards up the buidings... a fight with Lan Di... a fight with Dou Niu.... and potentially a descriptive dialogue with Zhu Yuanda (unless if that will be at the start of ep 13).

It sounds ambitious but honestly, the anime has pulled off the entire thing far above the expectations I had and I will never under-estimate it's ability to get through a tonne of events in such few minutes.

I'm just really hoping that we get Shenmue 4 announced in these next 2-4 weeks.

The only thing that has kinda irritated me so far this season has been the downplaying of the Baihu fight. Maybe he is just a boring street fighter after all, but that was a weak fight.

A natural enough conclusion to Joy's arc. Seems the new backstory was to justify how she ended up in the Yellow Head building. Likewise with Wong, some new found motivation to better himself to explain why he's risking his life and again how he ended up in the Yellow Head building for the final act. These were never plot holes in the game but I'm still glad the anime took the time to elaborate on the side characters.

On the flip side I'm less impressed by what they did with Baihu. The fight was decidedly underwhelming. Clever to tie in the Wude with a satisfyingly pay off. Yet the fight choreography itself was lacking, too short and you never get a real sense for the unstoppable powerhouse Baihu is in the game. I just hope episode 13 delivers on a really epic fight to end the series (for now?) on a high note.

Baihu fight kind of sucked compared to the game. That's still one of my favourite fights in the entire series thus far. So was a bit of a let down to see it underplayed in the anime.

I kind of like the expansion of Wong and Joy's roles here. Again, it does echo what happened with the Yokosuka crew in the first half. I mean the segment of Wong with Yuanda Zhu was pretty much Terry and the forklifts all over again. But it does really play up the idea of "keep your friends close" that has been powering the entire series thus far and I really like it.

And finally, the helicopter moment...had a feeling the episode was gonna end with that and they delivered. Boy that Helicopter moment is still fucking bad ass.

Alright, 12 episodes, finale next week. It's been a fun ride.

Baihu and Ziming have the same japanese voice actor.
kind of spoiler of S4.
So ZiMing takes off his costume and become more handsome than before

Back