Stuck on Day #5 of working at the harbor with no story progression. Possible bug/glitch?

I distinctly remember failing the qte where you play chicken against the bikers. I don't know if that had anything to do with it?

Why doesn't this issue repeat itself on any other day if it's intentional? Day 2 seems to be the only day that punishes you for going the wrong way. I remember spending like two weeks doing Day 2 when I was 15 years old because I just assumed Shenmue was trying to force me to work a really long time.

I know it's an 'old' glitch. I experienced it in 2000!

As Kodama may have been indicating, you can do it on Day 5 too.That's the day I was referencing repeating above, but I forgot to be specific. My wife has managed to amass a small fortune this way, and is getting the max raise for crates. LOL

Oh, well you shouldn't have been specific--it's in the thread title! My fault...

Anyway, never caught the glitch there. It drove me nuts the first time.

Yeah, if I recall correctly, there's only one direction in which the cutscene triggers, and I think you have a minimum number of crates you need to move before it can trigger, so try to work dilligently, This is not a bug, however. It's just a bit difficult to trigger. Kind of a weird design choice.
I'm 90% sure it's a game-ending bug. I encountered it when I first played Shenmue on Dreamcast and I must've played through Day 5 at least 10 times, trying every single route and always shifting as many crates as possible. I had to restart from the beginning and made sure not to save on that dumb day until I got the cutscene.

I wonder if not having your notebook mention Tony and Smith is what can trigger the glitch? I normally talk to mark at the end of the 4th day, and I get the notebook entry. I never had this glitch happen to me though. I just wish that repeating work days would be worth it if it wasn't for what happens close to the start of Shenmue II, but farming for capsule toys does kind of help a bit if you feel like doing that. The 5th day would be a good day to repeat since you can go home right after 5pm and not wait till 8pm to do so like other days.

I wonder if not having your notebook mention Tony and Smith is what can trigger the glitch? I normally talk to mark at the end of the 4th day, and I get the notebook entry. I

I had the Tony and Smith mention, but as long as you drive the route backwards, the scene will never trigger, if that's what you mean.

MV5BMTg4Mzg1OTIwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzc1NjYyMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR5,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I was thinking of those who seem to not get any triggers at all no matter where they are driving actually. I must of misread, but that is what I have seen, correct me if I'm wrong.

From memory, you need to approach warehouse 18 from Amihama Wharf (the straight long strip down the side) at a certain time and having moved a certain number of crates.

Let me just quote my DYK post:

Did you know that it's possible to repeat every day of work except the first indefinitely, by simply avoiding story triggers? To repeat Day 2, either enter Warehouse No. 3 from Warehouse No. 1, or don't head to Warehouse No. 17 afterwards. To repeat Day 3, don't go to the area outside Warehouse No. 18 after work. To repeat Day 4, don't talk to Mark. To repeat Day 5, either talk to Mark ONCE only (you need to talk to him twice to advance the story) or stop moving crates after 3:30pm.

None of these are a game-ending bug. Anyone who tells you it is is wrong.

If you were repeating Day 5 and you were sure you were taking the right route and enough crates (and it's likely true because it triggers before you reach the junction near Warehouse No. 18) then the cause is that you didn't talk to Mark enough, and the simple solution is "go and talk to Mark again".

I once wrote a guide on the old forum on how to get past the glitch on Day 2. The problem is that the cutscene trigger on that day is avoidable, unlike the other ones.

On the second official day, you are tasked with taking the crates that are near the Harbor Lounge over to Warehouse #3. What is supposed to happen is that you get a cutscene sometime after lunch, while working. The problem is, this is the one day where you can completely bypass where the cutscene trigger was placed, causing you to have to repeat the same route the next day. This is the reason for why some players are stuck doing the same thing every day, with no progress in regards to the story mode. Below is a map explaining how the route is supposed to work;

8dbbc7bc050c9fad063b618c7890af54.png

As you can see here, the trigger for the cutscene is between warehouses #4 and #5. If you go around the corner near warehouse #1, you miss the cutscene, and therefore have to do the same route the next day. This is where the forklift loop comes from. On all the other days, the cutscene trigger is in a spot that can't really be bypassed, because it's usually placed at a chokepoint where the player can't skip it. On this day, they placed the cutscene trigger at an avoidable location, presumably as a design oversight. As a result some players, few as they may be, are stuck on this day without knowing exactly why.

I wasn't aware you could get stuck on Day 5. Usually you just talk to Mark and you get a journal entry about Tony and Smith in the harbor lounge area. Do your regular work day, and you should trigger the cutscene sometime after lunch.

It happened to me too on day 5 of work.

I was kind of using random routes to go around warehouses number 8 & 18.

Long story short: Follow the exact route on the map. Unless you want to make extra money of course :D

Back