Subtitles for Shenmue 1 and 2

Does anyone have the script for Shenmue 2, specifically the Japanese one, but I can use the English one too if you have it handy.

It seems there was an excel localization file left in the first steam release, discovered by Kirino_Matsuyama in this thread https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/japanese-version-possible.435/

Unfortunately, it was taken out in the updated version, I have the original Shenmue 1 script taken from the GDI used in the Kogami undub, acquired very many years ago https://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39110#p1095781

With all the recent modding and smart people on the project, the steam version scripts may have been discovered, are you able to please share them with us? Or if anyone is able to post the excel localization file from the 1.0v located in Common/SMLaunch/localistion I would be very grateful.

Thanks if you can help!

I actually toyed around with the script for S2, had some fun re-imagining Ryo as a rude schoolboy with very little patience or manners in his conversations with key characters.

The thread is called "Subtitles Localization" here on Shenmuedojo. It has all the links you need.

Thank you for the tip, I have followed the thread and extracted the English and Japanese subs and converted them to .csv, I will attach them to this post for future reference and anyone who wants them, as a Linux user it was a pain to boot up a windows VM, install steam, download the game, extract the files (that unpacks to like 4gb and crashes the app if the VM doesnt have enough disk space I found lol) and process them

It would be really nice if someone could share the original xlsx file that was in the first release of the game for preservation sake and to see any changes or differences.

Attachments

• Shenmue-game-script-1-2.rar
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
Obrigado pela dica, segui o tópico e extraí os subs em inglês e japonês e os converti para .csv, vou anexá-los a este post para referência futura e quem quiser, como usuário de Linux foi uma dor de cabeça inicialize uma VM do Windows, instale o steam, baixe o jogo, extraia os arquivos (que descompacta para 4gb e trava o aplicativo se a VM não tiver espaço em disco suficiente que encontrei lol) e processá-los

Seria muito bom se alguém pudesse compartilhar o arquivo xlsx original que estava na primeira versão do jogo para preservação e ver quaisquer alterações ou diferenças.
would that be my friend?

Attachments

• sh2Subs.rar
    18.8 MB · Views: 13
The files left on the release which you're talking about aren't that interesting.

Have the actual extracted subtitle data using my code. All languages are included.

Attachments

• s2.7z
    5.5 MB · Views: 20
  • s1.7z
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
To be clear, these were posted a long time ago, so I'm sorry that you felt you had to do this on your own. Again, if there's anything you need, please contact me through the Shenmue Reverse Engineers discord server or send me a PM on here :)

Happy modding!

this is probably not possible but is there any way to change the graphics of the subtitles to match the anime black text. basically remove the red and blue from the text?

Back