Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Minesweeper
XBL
Mittens2317
Steam
Mittens2317
Okay, so go back to your favourite video game list n pull your top ten into this topic.

Out of that top ten you need to decide which games:

Have their series cancelled (must have more than two entries and one released within last three years)
Become a yearly iteration franchise.
Wiped from existence (including your memory of it)
You can never play again.
You have to play at least once a week (six hours minimum)
Gets rebooted.
Is acquired by EA (excludes games already under the EA banner, obviously)
Adds a multiplayer mode (only for games without)/Adds a single player mode (eg Titanfall, MMORPGs etc)
Receives a controversial prequel that retcons some important story elements.
Drastically changes direction (eg FIFA is now a Harvest Moon clone that focuses on a footballer's post-retirement years)
The last one you get to choose a scenario.

This is meant to be a bit of fun, so don't just list things, imagine this actually happens n incorporate it into your post or walk us through your decisions.

Last edited:
Okay, so I'll start by listing my top ten:
1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
2. Rollcage: Stage II
3. After Burner Climax
4. OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
5. BLiNX: The Time Sweeper
6. Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 4
7. Sonic Colours
8. Driver: San Francisco
9. Lucky Dime Caper
10. Chase HQ

Note that as usual for me, I'm treating Classic/2D Sonic and Modern/3D Sonic as separate series, as the two sets of games play very differently.

Have their series cancelled - only 1, 6, and 7 are eligible for this, and of those I'd pick the Modern Sonic series. I don't see myself enjoying any future games as much as I do Unleashed/Colours/Generations, so it wouldn't be too much of a loss...

Become a yearly iteration franchise - Rollcage. I wouldn't mind if Rollcage: Stage II had kept exactly the same engine since 2000 and just added new tracks every year. I'd still be playing the shit out of it.

Wiped from existence - Lucky Dime Caper. It's a game I very much enjoy playing, but it's also one that isn't influential or unique.

You can never play again - Driver: San Francisco. It's probably the least one played on the list anyway, and it's something that amuses me in memory as much as in actually playing it.

You have to play at least once a week - Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 4. I might stretch the "six hours" rule a little by saying I'd play it an hour a day, it puts me in a sort of zen-like trance that I'd love to do before bed. Unfortunately it's arcade-only so that'd be a little difficult as it stands...

Gets rebooted - BLiNX: The Time Sweeper. I'm hungry for more games that utilise the concept of local time manipulation to solve puzzles and defeat enemies, and it's otherwise a dead IP anyway so just do it already.

Is acquired by EA - Chase HQ. Chances of there being a sequel are pretty slim anyway, and if it does under EA then it'll be one game before it's folded because Need for Speed.

Adds a multiplayer mode - After Burner. I have absolutely no idea how it'd work but it'd be interesting to say the least.

Receives a controversial prequel that retcons some important story elements - Classic Sonic series. Story isn't too important for Sonic, and they're kinda retconning most of it anyway. May as well get a prequel out of it too.

Drastically changes direction - OutRun. OutRun 3 is a dating sim where Alberto has to win Clarissa's affection by completing tasks, only instead of being in a car he's in a bar, working as a bartender and doing tricks with cocktail shakers.

(eg FIFA is now a Harvest Moon clone that focuses on a footballer's post-retirement years)

9e9.gif

So being an utter bellend I forgot to do my own..,

Have their series cancelled: Football Manager. There's enough of them.

Become a yearly iteration franchise: Splinter Cell: Double Agent. I need more Splinter Cell, and the Double Agent style works for me.

Wiped from existence: Minesweeper. Seriously, I play that game far too much.

You can never play again: Mario Kart: Double Dash. The hardest choice of them all, but I'll give you a brief story... Last year I moved in to my brother's flat to take it off his hands as he's joined the army and needed a trustworthy tenant. We had a few months living together (in the run up to him commencing training), and it was one of the best times of my life. Helping him train, making scran for eachother, watching How I Met Your Mother all the time, and just sinking countless hours into Double Dash. Plenty of reminiscing, and the entire time felt like a swansong to our youth. He's my best mate, and we had the best time. Our lives are going in different directions now, but we're still very much in touch. Those few months though were like - to quote the legend that is Noel Gallagher - "lock[ing] the box and leav[ing] it all behind." We've had our time doing that, now it's time for us to make new memories rather than clinging to the old ones. And truth be told, I'd never want to play it again without him anyway.

You have to play at least once a week: Titanfall. Easy. I was doing it at one point anyway.

Gets rebooted: Shenmue. I honestly woulda preferred they started again from scratch instead of the strange-looking leap from II to III.

Is acquired by EA: The Wolf Among Us. At this point I want any fucking studio to acquire it just so we can get Season 2. I don't care if I have to pay to unlock dialogue options!

Adds a multiplayer mode: Batman: Arkham Knight. Even if it's a post-100% unlockable, how fun would it be just going round smashing the fuck outta thugs as Batman & Robin (or Nightwing (or Batgirl (or Red Hood)))?

Receives a controversial prequel that retcons some important story elements: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I actually reckon it'd be quite an interesting thing to do.

Drastically changes direction: Sonic Adventure. At this point they may as well try their hand at a fucking RTS and turn him into a rainbow-coloured pigeon with a penchant for stealing socks.

13. Formula One World Championship: Beyond the Limit (Sega CD)
12. Jungle Strike (Genesis)
11. Honoo no Doukyuji: Dodge Danpei (Genesis)
10. Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 (Dreamcast)
9. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Genesis)
8. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn)
7. Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast)
6. Snatcher (Sega CD)
5. Lunar: Eternal Blue (Sega CD)
4. Yakuza 3 (PS3)
3. Shenmue II (Dreamcast)
2. Final Fight CD (Sega CD)
1. Total Annihilation (PC)

That's my list, so let's take a look:

Have their series cancelled (must have more than two entries and one released within last three years)
I believe the only one that qualifies is the Yakuza series :(. But I wouldn't want it cancelled lol

Become a yearly iteration franchise.
Hmm... I think the Strike Series lends itself to a yearly iteration, simply because as S.T.R.I.K.E. has been established as an organisation, you can go many ways with the series; planes, helicopters, on foot, lots of different things.

Wiped from existence (including your memory of it)
Formula One Beyond the Limit. As I am a huge F1 fan and this just added to my fandom, if I didn't know about it, I would not lose sleep :).

Probably Dodge Danpei, as the anime is my favourite anime of all time and my favourite character(s) are in the anime as well as the game, so no biggie if I can't play it again :).

Since I basically have done that with TA, this would slot into that spot and I would just continue on like this! Also this is the only game on the list, that does not have a defined beginning and end (arguable on TXR2), so that makes it easier.

Gets rebooted.
Tricky, but I'd say Snatcher is the best one for a reboot; it would probably lead to a reboot of Policenauts as well and since both are Visual Novels with a touch of action, I think they'd translate to modern gaming, very well. So Snatcher it is!

TXR2. Would inject life into the car racing scene, as I feel it has become a genre that has become stagnant, as of late, with the same franchises being the standouts.

Adds a multiplayer mode (only for games without)/Adds a single player mode (eg Titanfall, MMORPGs etc)
For Multiplayer, that'd be 'mue II, as we all know tha tit lends itself to experience a bunch of different players, either in fighting, QTEs or even exploring.

Receives a controversial prequel that retcons some important story elements.
Probably Skies of Arcadia, as while the story is brilliant, if a prequel came out to flesh out some backstory and change some things (like Enrique's effeminateness), that would help lol.

Drastically changes direction (eg FIFA is now a Harvest Moon clone that focuses on a footballer's post-retirement years)

I would be cool if Lunar: EB became a platformer or a Beat-'em-Up or something along the lines of Yakuza or Shenmue. That would totally kick ass and there's a ton in the universe to create a game and a story like that.

You get to choose a scenario.

Final Fight CD

I'd want to do the whole game in Haggar perspective, without Cody or Guy's input..

10. Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck’s World of Illusion
9. Xenoblade: Chronicles
8. Silent Hill 2:

7. Tekken 3:
6. Shenmue:
5. Shadow of Memories/Shadow of Destiny:
4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty:
1. Final Fantasy VII:
1. Final Fantasy VIII:
1. Final Fantasy IX:

Have their series cancelled:
Easy... Metal Gear Solid... After Metal Gear Survive the series is done for.
Become a yearly iteration franchise:
Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck’s World of Illusion - After the Caste of Illusion Remake on PS3 I'd love to see this Remade (Epsically with that Co-op gameplay!)) and even new titles to the series!
Wiped from existence (including your memory of it):
Xenoblade Chronicles... After the disappointing sequels this would save me a lot of grief.
Xenoblade Chronicles For the very same reason...
Tekken 3 - Has the most repay value with Survival Mode.
Gets rebooted:
Shadow of Memories/Shadow of Destiny - I think after the success of TellTales games (I know...) A game like this would get more appreciation.. if done right.
Xenoblade… but I'm really only thinking of that considering Mass Effect was.
Adds a multiplayer mode (only for games without)/Adds a single player mode (eg Titanfall, MMORPGs etc):
I always wanted a VS. mode in Metal Gear Solid, similar to the Boss Rush Mode 1 on 1.
Receives a controversial prequel that retcons some important story elements:
Metal Gear Solid 2... though admittedly I'd rather see Raiden's transformation story which Rising was originaly meant to tell set between MGS2 & MGS4.
Drastically changes direction (eg FIFA is now a Harvest Moon clone that focuses on a footballer's post-retirement years):
Metal Gear Solid FPS... Resident Evil made a safe transition.
The last one you get to choose a scenario.
Shenmue as a 1v1 Fighter - A Spin off title which covers the gap between Shenmue 3 & 4... it's an idea :p

I know I already did it, but I like the concept so much I want to do it again with my next 10 favourite games:
11. Shenmue
12. Enduro Racer
13. Jet Set Radio Future
14. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+
15. Chu Chu Rocket
16. Score Rush
17. Skies of Arcadia: Legends
18. Galaga Legions DX
19. Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
20. Child of Eden

Have their series cancelled - only 11 and 14 are eligible for this, and obviously it's not going to be Shenmue (... again). That and Pac-Man CE2 was awful, so it's not as though they're reliably making great Pac-Man games anymore.

Become a yearly iteration franchise - JSRF. Just put it on a modern console, and just give me new environments. The gameplay can remain entirely unchanged forever.

Wiped from existence - Galaga. It's great, but it doesn't give me anything that other games don't - it just does it really well.

You can never play again - Score Rush. It's already difficult for me to play it again, it was on XBLIG before being ported to HTML5 and PS4, but XBLIG is dead now and I don't have a PS4.

You have to play at least once a week - Shenmue, of course. Way ahead of you there.

Gets rebooted - Chu Chu Rocket. Seriously, why has a game designed for online play not been ported to modern consoles?

Is acquired by EA - Enduro Racer. Once again, it's a dead series that won't get a sequel anyway, so this is just the safe bet.

Adds a multiplayer mode - Child of Eden. It'd be a great co-op experience, with two people joining forces - and as a rail shooter, it's easily doable too.

Receives a controversial prequel that retcons some important story elements - Skies of Arcadia. I'd like to see the world set a few thousand years in the past, where the different civilisations are at war and are in a technological race to create Gigas. It doesn't bother me if the story doesn't match what we're shown/told in Skies of Arcadia, I just want a new game set in the same world.

Drastically changes direction - Alex Kidd. It's rebooted as an air ambulance simulator, except with a peticopter.

Drastically changes direction: Sonic Adventure. At this point they may as well try their hand at a fucking RTS and turn him into a rainbow-coloured pigeon with a penchant for stealing socks.

I just want a Chao Garden mobile game.

I know I already did it, but I like the concept so much I want to do it again with my next 10 favourite games:

Receives a controversial prequel that retcons some important story elements - Skies of Arcadia. I'd like to see the world set a few thousand years in the past, where the different civilisations are at war and are in a technological race to create Gigas. It doesn't bother me if the story doesn't match what we're shown/told in Skies of Arcadia, I just want a new game set in the same world.

Drastically changes direction - Alex Kidd. It's rebooted as an air ambulance simulator, except with a peticopter.

The former would be very welcome from myself as well (as mentioned above), but the last one?

That is just absolutely brilliant and I would go one step further; Motorcycle on land and Pedicopter in the air. Unlockable vehicle, Pogo Stick.

Okay, I should've probably made it clear that it's your top ten, and each game has to be used.

Back