The Official Gaming Music Topic

Never a day goes by when I'm not listening to Yakuza related music:
Kuze's main boss theme (seeing as he's my favourite character in the game, its kinda fitting that I like his theme the best)

Jo Amon's theme from Yakuza Kiwami 2 - out of all the new (as in brand new, not remixed) music in the game, this is undoubtedly my favourite track. Aside from conforming to the general structure of later Amon themes (all having the same style, and background "singing?" in them), this one also has a really grand, and at times somewhat downbeat/final sound to it, which is fitting that this is the last of the Kiryu games to be released (not counting the remasters of 3-5). Just feels like a fitting end. I can only imagine what Amon's theme in RGG7 will be (because its totally gonna happen).

From Kiwami 2, my favourite tunes are the ones by SiM; A for its wonderfully-heavy and awesome music, The Sound of Breath for the wonderful vibe it has and chill melody.

The Autotune and Engrish in both is cringe-worthy though lol

But in-game, I love Unity of Metal:

Last night, I added a bunch and revamped my entire Shenmue library (had so many shitty-quality version of tunes) and was FINALLY able to find a good format version of the full Credits for II, instead of the one that cuts out the end (last 12 seconds or so) or the one on the Orchestra Soundtrack, which omits the second stanza altogether.

The SiMM stuff is great, though at the same time I do love the original Crazy Ken Band songs. But the song used in the final bouncer mission is ace, worked really well.

I've been listening to tons of Shenmue music as well, everything from the FREE themes to the orchestral stuff. Gotta love those soundtracks.

No doubt! Yu spared no expense and having Mitsuyoshi involved with the music, made it that much better! :D

Yes, the song for the last Bouncer Mission is A; the Autotune is a bit much, but oh man does that song pump me up. The last chorus to the end of the song is just raw emotion and the opening until the first verse, is also just boss.

Diggin' on some Dreamcast tunes: tonight, Sonic Adventure (I'd argue its soundtrack is superior to SA2's, but I love both).

A couple unsung tunes, to my mind:

a. Sky Chase (even if the stages were a hint lame):

b. Gamma's theme (PSO-style jazzy excellence which informed my tastes at the right age):

Absolutely better than SA2.
Welcome to Station Square has a bright and cheery vibe, the guitar in Open Your Heart is incredible and although I'm not a huge fan of the female singing, My Sweet Passion is a fantastic song, composition-wise (lyrically it's whatever lol). Take note of the bass lines in that song, just great stuff.

Absolutely better than SA2.
Welcome to Station Square has a bright and cheery vibe, the guitar in Open Your Heart is incredible and although I'm not a huge fan of the female singing, My Sweet Passion is a fantastic song, composition-wise (lyrically it's whatever lol). Take note of the bass lines in that song, just great stuff.

We're in complete agreement there: for context, I was born in 1989 (i.e., just sniffing out genres online, but open), so I praise a bit of that in forming my tastes.
To my mind, the diversity of SA1 is the key: I think SA2 got too rock heavy (while proving good rock in itself), but SA1 really knew how to employ the guitar. WSS is a lovely little thing, especially with the little finale on the official soundtrack. I dig My Sweet Passion, too, as I was big into Stevie Wonder at the time. Take a theme like Hot Shelter: that's simply poppin', albeit organized. That said, something like Choose Your Buddy has slap bass even the Chili Peppers would court.
What are your go-to's on 1?

I do like Knucklesโ€™ theme more in SA1

To my mind, he got the best character theme treatment: while the lyrics in both were rap-focused, the jazz funk of the former and the proper hip-hop of the latter did their own things well enough.

Reflecting on my time teaching Latin, and reminded of the role the Asterix comics (and games) played in making me love both Latin and French. Asterix and the Great Rescue had a boppin' soundtrack. One such gem:

Nathan McCree, clever dog he was, made tracks as easily skipped over as the continue menu full funk fests:

With all of the excellent tunes from the VF2 Soundtrack, you post Shun's? It's SO underwhelming and, "bleh," compared to Akira's, Jacky's and Sarah's themes...

Not to mention the remixed/arranged version SUCKS hard; the majority of those tracks are worse than the arcade versions.

Don't get me wrong, the tune sounds great in context of the game, but as a standalone track, not the best or even close to the best.

With all of the excellent tunes from the VF2 Soundtrack, you post Shun's? It's SO underwhelming and, "bleh," compared to Akira's, Jacky's and Sarah's themes...

Not to mention the remixed/arranged version SUCKS hard; the majority of those tracks are worse than the arcade versions.

Don't get me wrong, the tune sounds great in context of the game, but as a standalone track, not the best or even close to the best.

Just about personal taste I guess.

Not officially game music, but a few tracks I made with the intent of using in a passion project Iโ€™ve had in mind.

The project itself is meant to sort of be a mix of retro and noir stuff but I guess the music has just turned out strange...especially since Iโ€™m just kind of throwing stuff together without knowing much music theory. :p I used a free website called BeepBox if anyone else wants some fun.

Back