The sentiment surrounding Shenmue 3 beyond us

Yes it is sad that some people are so negative towards a game just for the sake of being negative. I do not get it. Maybe I am just too old to understand that.

There is no reason to that negative. Even for the just being negative dudes. I mean S3 got quite a lot of money on kickstarter. That proves that people want the game to happen. So it is no failure at all. If it was a failure it would not have happened in the first place.

It might not be the best game for the casual market but it can still make a good impression on modern gamers as well.

Jim Sterling is a prime example of the hate culture or "negativity culture" going on on the internet. While he does have a point with his perspectives on microtransactions, AAA gaming, women video game characters and so on, most of the time he just banks on negativity to generate clicks. For every positive video he makes, he uploads eight negative ones. Shitting over games or developers and publishers while using pretty explicit wording is his business model.

It's annoying he did that kind of unbalanced review video for Shenmue but doesn't need to be paid much attention to.

Jim Sterling is a prime example of the hate culture or "negativity culture" going on on the internet. While he does have a point with his perspectives on microtransactions, AAA gaming, women video game characters and so on, most of the time he just banks on negativity to generate clicks. For every positive video he makes, he uploads eight negative ones. Shitting over games or developers and publishers while using pretty explicit wording is his business model.

It's annoying he did that kind of unbalanced review video for Shenmue but doesn't need to be paid much attention to.

I got the impression Sterling didn’t even play the game in his review. Just popped a shitty negative review from his past “experiences” with the game.

I recently played Final Fantasy 7 for the first time after feeling like a bit of a Neanderthal because everyone and their great grandmother has played that game. It wasn't my cup of tea at all, but I recognise the game was likely amazing upon release and is beloved by many people.

My point is: I can't imagine setting aside time in my day fueling an online hate brigade dedicated to ensuring that the Final Fantasy 7 Remake, a game I don't particularly care for, fails upon release. Are people's lives that empty and meaningless that the only meaningful thing they can do is: be angry about something you're not invested in on the Internet?

Never played any FF because turn based simply isn't my genre, whatsoever. Only Grandia 2 and Skies of Arcadia have passed my judgement, which are unique examples of: flashy turn base and quick pace turn based, respectively, hence not minding them. Xenosaga piqued my interest a lot when they were being done, but gave up and sold them when I couldn't enjoy the gameplay.

As for Jim Sterling, never looked him up until now. Woah, stop the presses! Being crass with an almost fake English accent--how original. And thus my Shenmue fueled hate of him has ended; no need to spend hours making videos haha.

To be fair, he almost certainly played the game, and his English accent is real and normal -- it's probably just the theatrical way in which he speaks that sounds exaggerated.

I didn't want to turn this into a Jim Sterling pile-on, I just wanted to point out an example of the exact thing we've been talking about in this thread. He was actually more level-headed in the podcast than his co-host, saying SIII will either be incredible, or terrible, with no in between. Which, in some ways, I can understand that point of view.

Yeah, you can't really take anything Jim says to heart, at least not on the main channel content (Jimquisition, Jimpressions etc.). It's the Jim 'Fucking' Sterling persona to play things up a bit and that's not exclusive to Shenmue, plenty other games get the same treatment. Same with Yahtzee's kind of videos. At the end of the day, he doesn't like Shenmue and that's perfectly reasonable.

I think I've mentioned it in the past, but if you want to see a more balanced review of Shenmue that leans towards the negative side, check out Dunky's review. He points out why he thinks the game is flawed but also highlights the innovative and good elements of it too. I think it's a brilliant review, but I just couldn't see Sterling making that kind of video; it would feel out of place.

Yeah, Dunkey's review is great. It's a shame neither of them followed their videos up with a Shenmue II review because, as has been proven time and time again, people who don't like the slow pacing of Shenmue usually like Shenmue II a lot more. I expect to see more Shenmue I & II coverage closer to the release of III.

The negativity is born out of cynicism. Also what I'm seeing is people looking for personal confirmation biases to justify their negativity as a way to psychologically protect themselves from disappointment which is why they are quick to nitpick one little thing that they feel is wrong. That is why some probably are still basing the game off that one trailer from back in 2017, but then again you have to consider that certain games got released when clearly unfinished or broken with the whole "patch it later if ever" mindset. I think it has to do with how many people have been disappointment many times over the years when it comes to hyped up games and their squeals in general that doesn't delver in some area or as a whole.

Also some people are sick and tired of hearing about a game they don't care about or have no interest in so they start to talk badly about it in return. This goes for a few games out there in general besides Shenmue. I feel that way about some games that exist out there, but I keep my mouth shut though since it is rude to just go out and say this is overrated or sucks when no one asked you. It would not solve anything anyway nor would magically get people to stop talking about it nor would it change their minds.

But in the end, I also tend to think that all this is just the internet. It just gives basically every last idiot in the world the opportunity to make their thoughts known to others which is not a good thing most of the time. We shouldn't pay it too much attention. It's not that important. You'll always find your negative Nancys everywhere on the internet.

I'd say the general public's perception of Shenmue has actually turned pretty positive during the last year. For Shenmue 1 & 2, two no-frills ports of almost 20 year old games which were also buggy as fuck upon release, achieving a mid-70's metacritic rating is actually amazing.

I notice this with most anything out there besides games. The internet is a tough crowd in general. That is why I stay away from many fandoms and groups these days since everyone wants to nitpick everything and over analyze everything to the point where I question if they're maybe are too old for or is it past their time with said hobby and it's time to for them to move on, but hadn't realize it yet? I digress, but anyway this whole thing of negativity and everybody being a critic is actually pretty old and nothing new since it goes as far back into the early days of the internet.

Last edited:
I digress, but anyway this whole thing of negativity and everybody being a critic is actually pretty old and nothing new since it goes as far back into the early days of the internet.

It's true, back when the Internet started everyone was riding Shakespeare for delaying his next manuscript. Oh, the memes were not kind. We all remember Hamlet Dance, don't we?

To be fair, he almost certainly played the game, and his English accent is real and normal -- it's probably just the theatrical way in which he speaks that sounds exaggerated.

I know it is real, but seems quite stereotypical. Like a bad attempt by a yankee haha.

Haters probably weren't cool enough to have a Dreamcast--if anythying they were PS2 lemmings--so they're jealous ;)

Fairly curious whether those slagging Shenmue were praising RDR2

I wouldn't worry about any negativity until they officially show gameplay of Shenmue 3. Right now any of the negativity is based off work in progress videos which were shown to throw a bone to the fans for the wait. When Deep Silver are officially ready to show the game that's when I would look at things closely.

I wish I didn't delete my post then since I didn't want to divert the topic elsewhere just in case.

@That Guy. Not to worry. The topics fine as it is.

Now here's a question related to this. Has the sentiment for Shenmue 3 beyond us changed since the 2015 reveal?

Never heard about that Stirling guy before, and after checking him out, I am glad I didn't. A typical big youtuber doing dumb stuff to generate more click and getting more Money in return. Maybe i am too old to find that amusing. I am old fashioned how to get my gaming Infos. I prefer print magazines, Forums and classic gaming Websites that have been around for quite some time. Not from YouTube.

this YouTube actors shouldn't be taken that seriously. Youtube is a powerful pr Plattform though. Too bad there ae not that many big Youtuber that are big Shenmue Fans. If such People exist that would help to create postive PR for S3.

I would say that we are more excited, being this is the year of release. Beyond that, I would also say our...I don't want to say doubts, but reservations have increased.

We are all on pins and needles now. The reveal of Shenmue III coming in the next month is absolutely critical to assess progress and quality.

Beyond two very early trailers(I think The Prophecy was made from footage a month or two early), a smattering of screens, we have seen very little on this project.

People are always going to be negative towards Shenmue, because it simply was not, nor ever will be their cup of tea. It doesn't give them the right to trash it, but that's how it is.

Also, there seems to be a prevailing thought that all high-profile Kickstarter projects will be a failure.

Mighty No. 9 did a lot of PR damage, so no one pays attention to the successes like Kingdom Come, Shovel Knight, etc.

Back