The sentiment surrounding Shenmue 3 beyond us

Never heard about that Stirling guy before, and after checking him out, I am glad I didn't. A typical big youtuber doing dumb stuff to generate more click and getting more Money in return. Maybe i am too old to find that amusing. I am old fashioned how to get my gaming Infos. I prefer print magazines, Forums and classic gaming Websites that have been around for quite some time. Not from YouTube.

this YouTube actors shouldn't be taken that seriously. Youtube is a powerful pr Plattform though. Too bad there ae not that many big Youtuber that are big Shenmue Fans. If such People exist that would help to create postive PR for S3.

I made a point to avoid that guy's content ever since he tweeted that if you're a man and you're standing in an elevator with a woman, you *are* automatically deemed a potential rapist.

From what I've heard from others, I'm really not missing much.

I made a point to avoid that guy's content ever since he tweeted that if you're a man and you're standing in an elevator with a woman, you *are* automatically deemed a potential rapist.

From what I've heard from others, I'm really not missing much.

He's known for being a rabid SJW, because again that generates clicks...

He's known for being a rabid SJW, because again that generates clicks...

I took it as opposite. Not sure many women would agree with such a broadly generalized sentiment. Seems moreso him being cheeky in line with his "edgy" shtick. If he claims to be a SJW, more power to him--I support progressive movements. Admittedly I don't watch his channel so I'm being presumptuous. Wouldn't put it past him to not really give a fuck and only does for clickbait.

Questionable and out of touch comments from Jim Sterling aside, I feel we're getting off track a bit. Can we limit discussion of him to his career as a game reviewer instead of political ideologies please? It's not massively relevant to the OP and can quickly get out of hand.

(I get that people participating in the convo are still online and may be typing out replies as I post this, so this post isn't a hard cutoff or anything, just please try to wrap up the discussion from this point forward. Thanks!)

Yeah, almost went way of rails, but kept it to a minimal few sentences. As for Shenmue sentiment on the internets, I believe Truck made mention in another thread of contemporary game journalists being former Nintendo fans airing out their unresolved Sega hate? True, but slightly out-of-date. Those kids were the ones bashing Dreamcast and third party Sega (Marvel license aside, most Sega/Sonic games are wildly underrated and easy bait to pre-judge such as Heroes and Unleashed).

These days, the newest kids coming out of college for writing jobs are the ones who grew up on Halo, Gears of War or Call of Duty. They either never had or heard of a Dreamcast, much less Shenmue, and if they did it was only a quick look on youtube or maybe playing until having to talk to Yamagashi, Tom or Liu for the first time where they gave up and proclaimed a shitty/boring/stupid/overrated game. Most give up quite early around there in Shenmue, despite barely even beginning.

Reminds me of slow burn television or movies. Still refuse to watch AMC for only giving Rubicon one season (still haven't begun Season 3 of Breaking Bad). Mass audiences, especially those fans of Mad Men and Breaking Bad (or COD/GOW/Halo), couldn't deal with 4 or 5 episodes of simmering build up before it got "good."

Last edited:
Yeah, almost went way of rails, but kept it to a minimal few sentences. As for Shenmue sentiment on the internets, I believe Truck made mention in another thread of contemporary game journalists being former Nintendo fas airing out their unresolved Sega hate? True, but slightly out-of-date. Those kids were the ones bashing Dreamcast and third party Sega (Marvel license aside, most Sega/Sonic games are wildly underrated and easy bait to pre-judge such as Heroes and Unleashed).

These days, the newest kids coming out of college for writing jobs are the ones who grew up on Halo, Gears of War or Call of Duty. They either never had or heard of a Dreamcast, much less of Shenmue, and if they did it was only a quick look on youtube or maybe playing until having to talk to Yamagashi, Tom or Liu for the first time where they gave up and proclaimed a shitty/boring/stupid/overrated game. Find the part most give up in Shenmue is quite early around there on disc 1, despite barely even beginning.

Reminds me of slow burn television or movies. Still refuse to watch AMC for only giving Rubicon one season (still haven't begun Season 3 of Breaking Bad). Mass audiences, especially those fans of Mad Men and Breaking Bad (or COD/GOW/Halo), couldn't deal with 4 or 5 episodes of simmering build up before it got "good."

I agree with this. Shenmue is a game from a different generation with a different generation of gamers compared to today. On average, most Shenmue fans tend to be either 80s kids who were teens or young adults when Shenmue was released or 90s kids. In that generation the internet wasn't as mainstream or accessible as it is today. As a result, most kids got their gratification from TV, movies, video games, and playing outside. Nowadays kids are practically born into the net and don't know what life was like before the online boom.

Due to the internet being able to provide any and all entertainment in a matter of seconds, caused this generation to have different expectations then previous ones. That main expectation was instant feedback and gratification and thus gaming publishers and developers had to adapt to these expectations.

Another thing to consider is that Shenmue came out at a time when arcade games were deemed the paragon of quality. To see arcade quality in a console game was unheard of. Most arcade games that were ported to console back then tended to suffer in quality. Nowadays, games like Shenmue are a dime a dozen there's nothing unique about them anymore. So it's natural that gamers of this generation have a harder time seeing what makes Shenmue so great.

Shenmue is slow paced compared to most modern games and demands players to be patient. Those who do are rewarded with something truly special, those who don't will find Shenmue to be boring and too slow.

Questionable and out of touch comments from Jim Sterling aside, I feel we're getting off track a bit. Can we limit discussion of him to his career as a game reviewer instead of political ideologies please? It's not massively relevant to the OP and can quickly get out of hand.

True, apologies for assisting in switching tracks and leading others to follow me down another course. Though I guess I can finally write 'I'm persuasive' on my CV now. :sneaky:

I think you guys might be onto something. I turn your attention to the Tomb Raider series. Back in the 90's-2000's the series was known for its maze-like levels and difficult puzzles. If you were going into the classic games blind with no Internet it could take you up to a week trying to figure out how to just get a door open.

Now the series has evolved into more of a fast-paced action-shooter where you're blowing up something every five seconds combined with ridiculously easy puzzles because instant gratification and fast-paced action is a big standard in modern games. No longer are you required to spend hours backtracking through a series of levels to find and combine various puzzle pieces together, instead you just shoot an arrow and now, hey presto, the door's open! The series had to adapt with the times to stay relevant or fade into obscurity if it remained a strictly puzzle-oriented experience.

Now, you present an obscure, twenty-year old game to these players which has a lot of praise for defining many of their favourite modern games yet ironically was a total flop in sales to the extent it's sequel had to turn to crowdfunding (already, that's going to attract some sneering) which asks them to wait an entire day for a shop to open or air out a stack of books at a library and of course they're going to brand the game "shit".

I think the average gamer may have gotten dumber/less patient/more casual, but I think the market for games like Shenmue has gotten bigger. I cannot imagine games like Persona and Yakuza being million+ sellers in the west back in the last 90s/early 2000s.

And you guys might call me crazy but I am happy that S3 won't look like a plain AAA title with these generic pseudo Realistic look. The more comic style look suits Shenmue way better.

Agreed. Particularly facial expressions. Mentioned it elsewhere but take Horizon, adore it, but the way the faces are done is almost distracting. Felt similar with Assassins Creed Odyssey, God of War and RDR2, not as bad but still into uncanny valley territory. Love what has been shown of SIII so far, don't understand the criticism and people using hyperboles like "catastrophic" of the trailers. I'm actually relieved they've gone in another direction graphic expression wise, it looks good and stands out.

Anywho, negativity abound. Like others I don't see what people with no interest in the game (or any other product, hell go read some book reviews on good reads and some have vendettas against certain authors or genres) get out bashing it, like why would they go spend of their time, their very precious own time, to write off something they most likely won't try? I find it genuinely puzzling. It's as if I would seek out I dunno 5 minutes of summer videos and write shitty things, or worse make my own video bashing them. Point being I like music but not that music. Also I'm not in their target audience (I hope!)

I think in the end some here hit the nail on the head; negativity sells. That's the only alternative that makes any sense to me and even then I think perhaps we need to expand on mental health awareness and practical mental health skills in schools. Yeah, I went there. Being a troll as a hormone infested angsty teenager, sure ok, being an internet troll as a grown ass adult, hmm not so much. I don't mean troll as in someone who criticized something btw but I suppose all here gets that.

I agree Araviel. We leave in complicated times. on the one hand games are getting better and more realistic on the one hand but on the other hand, they are still not there and sometimes it can look weird.

A different approach in the graphics is not a bad thing at all. I like the direction Shenmue 3 goes. It looks completely different than other upcoming games in 2019. You can see that perfectly when S3 is shown in an upcoming 2019 game video.

Tastes are different and the way of Shenmue3 evolves is not going to be pleased everybody. It just looks too different than your average AAA Game of the recent years. It does not matter that Shenmue 3 is not AAA game, some people still put it on in AAA territory. That's bad and can disappoint some people unfortunately.

But to other people the different style could be attractive. If the market tolerates stuff like fortnite, and minecraft, games that are not graphically very impressive there is also more than enough space for Shenmue 3 to prosper.

I love Shenmue's look. I mean on Dreamcast it looked "realistic" because nothing back then was so detailed, but it still looks like a video game. Same with 3, I honestly would have hated if they went for a realistic art style...

If Shenmue 3 was to be made to represent a "realistic" character modeling, it really had to be well made.
Honestly, I love the update Shenhua recieved from shenmue 2 to shenmue 3, and part of me would like to Ryo to be updated also.
But I can understand the atachment fans have to the original model...
I would prefer, a diferent but awesome Ryo face, than one missed copy paste attempt :)
Tho, so far so good. I'll only judge when I see the final game.

Back