The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Happy Console Gamers First Impressions are up. He is a MASSIVE fan of the games and this is his most anticipated game of the year:-

Just watched it, insanely positive! He loves it! Also, there are no spoilers, so don't be afraid to watch and share the video!!!

Last edited:
^These moments make the game for me. I do not get the 5/10 at all.

Watch the Game Informer (new gameplay today) video that got released today and you'll get an indication of why low review numbers. Where they play for 40 minutes and laugh the entire way through thinking they're way above it. That's the attitude most of these people have towards it.

I mean, yeah, the games presentation values are far from the standards of today's big budgeted crap, but I'm with you...it's little moments like the one above that give this game way more heart than most of the artificial junk I've played this year. You can laugh at its bad dubbing or its outdated presentation, but there is a genuine beating heart to the game that I think most games lack.

But everyone just wants to be a cynical asshole apparently and act like they're too cool for some bad dubbing or what not.

Is my judgement really that clouded because I am a fan? The game has a multitude of different things to do, and the graphics are good (Niaowu looks spectacular), how the fuck is it a 5/10 or 6/10 game?
Pretty sure either we're aliens or they are, that's the only way to explain this mass discrepancy.

A solid 7.5-8 / 10 review from a big site like ign or gamespot is worth much more than these 6s from smaller sites. Not trying to discredit them, but that's a fact. Even a 7 or 8 from a print mag like Edge carries more weight. Let's not sweat small potatoes just yet.

It's worth mentioning that vg 24/7s three out of five is the same mark they gave Death Stranding which probably had 10x the budget and marketing. Its all about perspective

If Shenmue can grab higher than a 6.8 from ign that will grab attention I assure you. Let's hope they give it a good crack.

Watch the Game Informer (new gameplay today) video that got released today and you'll get an indication of why low review numbers. Where they play for 40 minutes and laugh the entire way through thinking they're way above it. That's the attitude most of these people have towards it.

So another bad review incoming from Game Informer huh... :hmm:

Man I hope Esra Krabbes review of Shenmue III is for the 'murrican IGN too. It'll help. We know he loves it.

So another bad review incoming from Game Informer huh... :hmm:

Man I hope Esra Krabbes review of Shenmue III is for the 'murrican IGN too. It'll help. We know he loves it.

I don't know. I don't imagine it will score high but I don't want to put words in their mouth either. But the general attitude of that video was one akin to "let's laugh at the weird kid because he's different and strange."

At least that's how I felt of its general tone...and I think that explains some of the reviews in general. Even the reviews that are favorable towards it are still tinted with the "we're above it" attitude. As in that one article headline: "Shenmue is dreadful(ly good)"...it's sort of back handed. Like they can't just accept it for what it is or praise it for what it is without feeling the need to show their cynicism.

I don't get it. It never had any intention to be anything else than a sequel to the games that came before. So I don't know why the above it attitude?

So far, the only review I've seen that was generally pretty fair and objective while still rewarding the game with praise was that one Australian review that someone posted in the Spoiler Forum. But the few other reviews I've seen are tinted with that snarky attitude of faintly praising it while still shitting on it.

Last edited:
What makes you think they felt above it, last I checked the gameinformer guys were the ones that really dug shenmue in general.

What makes you think they felt above it, last I checked the gameinformer guys were the ones that really dug shenmue in general.
Back when Game Informer did their big preview on it a while back, there was one guy that seemed like he was into Shenmue, one guy that seemed like he could go either way, and another that made me think he had it out for the series. Ironically he's the one that did the rapid-fire question interview with Yu himself.

Watch the video and you'll see what I mean. They're actively laughing at it. Hell at one point, one of them makes a Chapter 11 joke about YSNET when talking about how many chapters the game has (meaning they're gonna be bankrupt soon...don't get me wrong, not moralizing or outraged by that, I like dark humor, but yeah, it's just telling.)

It's hard to know what their overall impressions are as their microphone audio cuts out towards the end of the footage...but the general tone I got was one of laughing at it.

Then there's another moment where they make the tired old "Yakuza is better" reference.

There's a general air of "we're above it" attitude that permeates the entire video.

It's the attitude that I think will be reflected in most reviews (we've already seen it in some of the early ones)...it's the attitude I've been expecting in most reviews all along.

Last edited:
Happy Console Gamers First Impressions are up. He is a MASSIVE fan of the games and this is his most anticipated game of the year:-

Just watched it, insanely positive! He loves it! Also, there are no spoilers, so don't be afraid to watch and share the video!!!
Having watched the video I think it's a really positive endorsement of Shenmue 3. This is exactly the sort of thing I want to see coming out of YouTube. With a bit of luck this might be the first of many channels praising the game.

I'm kinda happy the review bombings score is all because of EGS in a way. It means they have no actual criticism or even opinion of the actual game and the good reviews way out weigh the bad ones anyway!

seeing a livestream from gamekult, I understand your feeling of "we're above it"

He is nitpicking everything and making fun about it like it's a stupid game even when it's supposed to be a positive point (he played the games 20 years ago)

seeing a livestream from gamekult, I understand your feeling of "we're above it"

He is nitpicking everything and making fun about it like it's a stupid game even when it's supposed to be a positive point (he played the games 20 years ago)

Gettin' real tired of their attitude

That is just it. Fair enough if these companies can't actually find (or employ) anyone that has the least bit of interest or care in the franchise to give it a fair review, but if they can, people with even a slight interest in the game should be reviewing it. Fucking negative attitudes. Very disrespectful too.

Take me for example, I love my rock/indie music and can respect anything by a band that play guitars, drums, bass, keyboard, piano etc.

You sit me down and put some grime on I'd tell you to turn it the fuck off. Now ask me to review a grime album.

Doesn't work does it?

That is just it. Fair enough if these companies can't actually find (or employ) anyone that has the least bit of interest or care in the franchise to give it a fair review, but if they can, people with even a slight interest in the game should be reviewing it. Fucking negative attitudes. Very disrespectful too.

Take me for example, I love my rock/indie music and can respect anything by a band that play guitars, drums, bass, keyboard, piano etc.

You sit me down and put some grime on I'd tell you to turn it the fuck off. Now ask me to review a grime album.

Doesn't work does it?

Not sure if this has been posted but apologies if it has.

Now for me at least, this is so far a completely fair write up IMO. Wrote by someone who at least sounds like has an interest in the franchise.

I think I'm coming approaching the end of the Bailu area now and I can't count how many times I have laughed out loud at what is said and the humour behind it. Especially when I can say Ryo's lines before he does. Just brilliant.

I mean, yeah, the games presentation values are far from the standards of today's big budgeted crap, but I'm with you...it's little moments like the one above that give this game way more heart than most of the artificial junk I've played this year. You can laugh at its bad dubbing or its outdated presentation, but there is a genuine beating heart to the game that I think most games lack.

But everyone just wants to be a cynical asshole apparently and act like they're too cool for some bad dubbing or what not.
If it was Kyle and Reiner, ( don't know if still at GameInformer ) and I mean IF, that doesn't necessarily mean they're making fun of it, or going to give a bad review, but who knows. I haven't seen the video. I watched their Shenmue 1 lets play and they were like what you're describing aswell. It's just their way and they seemed to have fun with S1, so we'll see how things go.

If it was Kyle and Reiner, ( don't know if still at GameInformer ) and I mean IF, that doesn't necessarily mean they're making fun of it, or going to give a bad review, but who knows. I haven't seen the video. I watched their Shenmue 1 lets play and they were like what you're describing aswell. It's just their way and they seemed to have fun with S1, so we'll see how things go.
yeah I was about to say, people joke around playing games that doesnt meant they hate it, how about we actually wait for the review before insulting them over and assumption. Like I think we can safely say the game is not going to review well at this point, let's not get too hung up on attacking every critical review or else we are just gonna be attacking every reviewer at this point.

Back