The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

We should play Shenmue III Review Bingo :D

— “Looks like a Dreamcast Game” --- We already know this not to be the case. Any reviewer who makes this assertion should immediately the entirety of his/her review discredited.

Even the upgraded PS4 Shenmue (HD)

shenmue-i-ii-wallpaper-5.jpg

Does not hold a candle to an old alpha build (2017) image of Ryo, let alone the final optimized one.

12137620170822_102025_0_big.jpg

My issue with with the "Yakuza/RDR2 did it better" remarks is that there is no elaboration there, they just say it nonchalantly but never explain "how". I would honestly love to see how they reached these conclusions, in order to better understand the criticism that is usually levelled against this series.

But not a single one who uttered these remarks has been able to elaborate on them.

Like I understand if you enjoy Yakuza's combat/controls/story/world more, but saying Shenmue is 'proto-Yakuza' when Yakuza's "Shenmue-like" features are factually, objectively still less developed and nuanced than Shenmue is just a bold faced lie, and more Shenmue fans should be calling this lie out because it has become the truth amongst people who never experienced Shenmue

I'd love to know that too and was thinking the exact same thing. I personally enjoy Yakuza, but I found RDR2 to be really boring.

One aspect I love about Shenmue is the story, the writing and larger than life characters. The story is relatable, down to earth and grounded, to a certain extent... That's what I love about it the most - I need to know what happens next on Ryo's quest for revenge. Hate to say it though... but as much as I enjoy the Yakuza games, I really couldn't give a shit about the various soap opera stories revolving around Japanese gangsters, and as far as RDR2 goes, cowboy stories are about as interesting to me as watching paint dry.

My issue with with the "Yakuza/RDR2 did it better" remarks is that there is no elaboration there, they just say it nonchalantly but never explain "how". I would honestly love to see how they reached these conclusions, in order to better understand the criticism that is usually levelled against this series.

But not a single one who uttered these remarks has been able to elaborate on them.

Like I understand if you enjoy Yakuza's combat/controls/story/world more, but saying Shenmue is 'proto-Yakuza' when Yakuza's "Shenmue-like" features are factually, objectively still less developed and nuanced than Shenmue is just a bold faced lie, and more Shenmue fans should be calling this lie out because it has become the truth amongst people who never experienced Shenmue

Yea, It's one thing to say you like Yakuza more, but if you say Yakuza is better, you better give comparison based reason as to why this is, and is a must if you're doing a review.

As it is, no one who has played the Shenmue games can see where you're coming from, as overall It's a objectively false statement.

If they said they don't like the pacing(referring to Shenmue 1 specifically), and they rather have a lesser tactical fighting system or can't get over having just 1 analog stick, ok those can be valid reasons why someone may personally like Yakuza better(I still wouldn't agree, but hey atleast there's logic behind it).

As is though, every time they say such BS statements, without giving reasons, it discredits their entire review.

Last edited:
They use that language because it’s hard to compare Shenmue to anything else. Yakuza is arguably descended from Shenmue, though I’d argue it really isn’t anything like Shenmue. On the surface, they’re very similar. If you played them both when they both came out, you’d definitely feel differently...

I’ve already said I didn’t particularly care for RDR2 in a few threads. It feels like a typical bloated open world game with poor gameplay mechanics. It definitely has stellar graphics and production values and has some “slow paced” aspects that share some DNA with Shenmue, but I didn’t really think of Shenmue when I sank dozens of hours into that overrated mess...

Unfortunately, most reviewers will reference games that share little with Shenmue because these reviewers will use other writer’s thoughts and words to build their own reviews. Most reviewers are either too young to have played Shenmue when it came out or not as invested in the series as we are.

Last edited:
Thankfully the all-important review score bestowed upon us by the big sites are becoming more irrelevant every day, because who really cares what Joe Videogames from IGN thinks? People want opinions from voices they know and trust, and for most people that's usually a YouTuber, or streamer, or friend, and not whoever the current reviewer at IGN or Gamespot is.

Thankfully the all-important review score bestowed upon us by the big sites are becoming more irrelevant every day, because who really cares what Joe Videogames from IGN thinks? People want opinions from voices they know and trust, and for most people that's usually a YouTuber, or streamer, or friend, and not whoever the current reviewer at IGN or Gamespot is.

So true, and it sure does mainstream outlets no good pandering to the companies that make the games, they are to review sigh. Is it any wonder they give pretty much everything a 8-10. Seriously the way they throw 9s, and 10s around, you would think everything is a masterpiece. Lol I wish that were the case, but It's the opposite. Even high end Very Good games are rare, nevermind games that are in the greatness range.

That's a good point. When IGN or GameSpot post a review it could have been reviewed by any number of people. Whereas when it's someone's favourite YouTuber that person knows more about the individual reviewing the game and (based on their historic content) knows whether the YouTuber shares similar opinions.

Last edited:
I
All of you.
Get ready to resgister on Metacritic to help with the user reviews.
Some of the people who dislike epic will jump in and say the game is a 0 cause its and Epic Store exclusive.
I remember for some switch title that got review bombed for being an exclusive Metacritic removed the stupidly low scores. They should do the same for Shenmue III should that happen.

I

I remember for some switch title that got review bombed for being an exclusive Metacritic removed the stupidly low scores. They should do the same for Shenmue III should that happen.

People review bomb for all sorts of ridiculous reasons these days. Astral Chain was review bombed. I can't even remember the reason the media cited.

I

I remember when Spider Man was released on PS4, a lot of the initial Metacritic user reviews were zeros and ones with no explanation as to why the scores were so low. I think one user wrote that he wasn't happy with the reflections or something. Some people have nothing better to do clearly.

For what it's worth I think Shenmue III will review between 70 to 80.

I'm thinking the reviews will average out to low 70s. One or two will take pride in dragging it through the mud, but that's life!

I mean, it's likely to get a 2/2.5 out of 5 from USGamer. Shenmue I & II got the exact same treatment from a different writer there. It doesn't mean they collectively have something against the franchise, it's just that Shenmue isn't for everyone, and we have to expect some dismissive "it's outdated" reviews. We can't make people care, and no amount of complaining will change their mind.

No amount of negative reviews will dampen my experience with the game. However, I prefer not to know what others think about specific parts of the game, which is why I won't be reading impressions or reviews until I've played it myself.

I'm thinking the reviews will average out to low 70s. One or two will take pride in dragging it through the mud, but that's life!

I mean, it's likely to get a 2/2.5 out of 5 from USGamer. Shenmue I & II got the exact same treatment from a different writer there. It doesn't mean they collectively have something against the franchise, it's just that Shenmue isn't for everyone, and we have to expect some dismissive "it's outdated" reviews. We can't make people care, and no amount of complaining will change their mind.

No amount of negative reviews will dampen my experience with the game. However, I prefer not to know what others think about specific parts of the game, which is why I won't be reading impressions or reviews until I've played it myself.
This is how I'm going into it. I just hope the reviews paint the picture of it being divisive and not just a dogpile on it. If the reviews are varied enough thats actually fairly telling that its niche rather than its bad.

too bad metacritic kind of damns that though, its still absurd to me that site has any weight, its not their fault for it they themselves are fine, its the people that thing the collective score is something super important rather than actually reading the distribution of opinions, like those dinguses you see on twitter that are acting like a year as good as 2018 for games was bad cause only sekiro and re2 made it above 90 on metacritic, like who gives a fuck when theres so many beloved games below that median.

I

Yea it was Astral Chain lol. They are morons(they were pissed about Octopath Traveler too, something else Nintendo heavily paid into, although Nintendo technically doesn't "own" the Octopath Traveler ip), first Nintendo literally owns the ip, not Platinum, and 2nd if you want a Platinum exclusive on a Sony system, pester Sony to pay Platinum to make them something.

This is what Platinum does, It's like commissioning a artist(just a hell of a lot more expensive), anyone with the money can do it.

This morning I was on YouTube and a MASSIVE spoiler just popped up on my feed! I only went on there to watch a Luigi's Mansion 3 review.

This will spoil a key moment in the game for me. I'm completely gutted but it's my own fault for still using the app this close to the games release date. What a bad way to start the day!

Now I'm definitely not using the app until I've completed the game.

This morning I was on YouTube and a MASSIVE spoiler just popped up on my feed! I only went on there to watch a Luigi's Mansion 3 review.

This will spoil a key moment in the game for me. I'm completely gutted but it's my own fault for still using the app this close to the games release date. What a bad way to start the day!

Also what were you thinking searching for anything with a 3 in the title.

Why would the title of the video be such a massive spoiler?
Also what were you thinking searching for anything with a 3 in the title.
True! Especially that I've mostly used the app for shenmue related stuff this past year

Back