The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

This morning I was on YouTube and a MASSIVE spoiler just popped up on my feed! I only went on there to watch a Luigi's Mansion 3 review.

This will spoil a key moment in the game for me. I'm completely gutted but it's my own fault for still using the app this close to the games release date. What a bad way to start the day!

Now I'm definitely not using the app until I've completed the game.

Sorry to hear that. I try to avoid such things at all cost and i am not going to click any Shenmue 3 related Content in the Internet anyway. You cannot be careful enough.

I also not going to read the Reviews of the game. The only important review for me is my own review of the Game.

And my score will be between 8/10 and 10/10 for sure. :LOL::sneaky:

Sorry to hear that. I try to avoid such things at all cost and i am not going to click any Shenmue 3 related Content in the Internet anyway. You cannot be careful enough.

I also not going to read the Reviews of the game. The only important review for me is my own review of the Game.

And my score will be between 8/10 and 10/10 for sure. :LOL::sneaky:
Just realised I wrote my post in the wrong thread. Oh well.

Anyway, I was finding it relatively easy to avoid any spoilers on Twitter. I just unfollowed all shenmue related accounts with the intention of adding them back at a later date.

YouTube and it's algorithms though is completely different matter. I wasn't even searching for anything shenmue related but due to what I've searched in the past I saw a link to a video thats title revealed a spoiler. Completely my own fault I know.

I'm not going to let the spoiler ruin me from enjoying the biggest game release of my life.

Anyway, I was finding it relatively easy to avoid any spoilers on Twitter. I just unfollowed all shenmue related accounts with the intention of adding them back at a later date.

YouTube and it's algorithms though is completely different matter. I wasn't even searching for anything shenmue related but due to what I've searched in the past I saw a link to a video thats title revealed a spoiler. Completely my own fault I know.

I'm not going to let the spoiler ruin me from enjoying the biggest game release of my life.
You need to delete your watched video and search history if you havent already.

Sorry this happened to you. Did remind me to clean out my YouTube history again just to be sure. I also muted the word Shenmue on Twitter.

This morning I was on YouTube and a MASSIVE spoiler just popped up on my feed! I only went on there to watch a Luigi's Mansion 3 review.
When you say massive spoiler, were you just on media blackout for the conent and saw something that was already shown publicly or something? Cause otherwise what could you of even seen, when I search up shenmue 3 on youtube all I really get are the people dunking on the game cause of the egs stuff.

When you say massive spoiler, were you just on media blackout for the conent and saw something that was already shown publicly or something? Cause otherwise what could you of even seen, when I search up shenmue 3 on YouTube all I really get are the people dunking on the game cause of the egs stuff.
I don't want to say too much as I don't want to ruin it for anyone else. To be honest the spoiler may not even be true but what I read was pretty shocking. If you want I can private message you.

Ive also had out of bounds demo videos appear on my youtube feed (which I've not watched) but this was a lot bigger than that and more story related.

The spoiler was in the title followed by something like Additional Backer info! Don't want to look much further into it.

I was on a media blackout (in terms of Shenmue III) but in the past few months have watched quite a lot of old Shenmue content on YouTube as I'm mega hyped for it.

I don't want to say too much as I don't want to ruin it for anyone else. To be honest the spoiler may not even be true but what I read was pretty shocking. If you want I can private message you.

Ive also had out of bounds demo videos appear on my youtube feed (which I've not watched) but this was a lot bigger than that and more story related.

The spoiler was in the title followed by something like Additional Backer info! Don't want to look much further into it.

I was on a media blackout (in terms of Shenmue III) but in the past few months have watched quite a lot of old Shenmue content on YouTube as I'm mega hyped for it.
Nah I don't need you to tell me to cause if its actually a big spoiler I don't want to it, but I also just question if you really actually saw anything cause it really doesn't look like anything is floating around right now

Nah I don't need you to tell me to cause if its actually a big spoiler I don't want to it, but I also just question if you really actually saw anything cause it really doesn't look like anything is floating around right now
Didnt think you would to be honest. I've no need to make this stuff up and dont intend on looking in the spoiler section to see if anyone else has read this. Honestly I'm so annoyed that I read it because if true it's going to have a big impact on a key moment in the game. So annoying but either way theres so much I dont know and I am going to love every minute of exploring the next few chapters in my all time favourite game. I've waited far too long to let anything ruin this experience!

What spoilers do people not want to see? Even the stuff we're discussing in the spoiler thread doesn't seem super spoilery to me. We hardly know anything about the game's plot and story. To me spoilers means having major twists or story beats ruined, like finding out Ren is going to betray Ryo or Shenhua is Ryo's sister or whatever.

Didnt think you would to be honest. I've no need to make this stuff up and dont intend on looking in the spoiler section to see if anyone else has read this. Honestly I'm so annoyed that I read it because if true it's going to have a big impact on a key moment in the game. So annoying but either way theres so much I dont know and I am going to love every minute of exploring the next few chapters in my all time favourite game. I've waited far too long to let anything ruin this experience!

If it helps, I haven't actively been avoiding spoilers and haven't seen anything that would be a spoiler to this degree, so you can probably assume it's a clickbait video that isn't real.

oh what no I'm not accusing you of lying, I meant more that whatever you saw might not have actually been a spoiler cause I don't see anything floating about.

What spoilers do people not want to see? Even the stuff we're discussing in the spoiler thread doesn't seem super spoilery to me. We hardly know anything about the game's plot and story. To me spoilers means having major twists or story beats ruined, like finding out Ren is going to betray Ryo or Shenhua is Ryo's sister or whatever.
yeah thats why I was confused as to what quantified as a major spoiler, cause ive seen people say seeing a returning character released in a press release over a year ago count as a spoiler,

Yeah thats what I wondered. Perhaps its just a clickbait video rather than an actual spoiler. Either way its a massive warning to not use YouTube for a few weeks.

I think some folks just want to avoid knowing what there is to see and do in the game. I definitely feel like I've seen too much, and I haven't even played the demo (I gave my codes away!) I want to walk into alleys and find out what's in there without having that spoiled for me in a trailer/video/screenshot. BUT I CAN'T HELP MYSELF! I KEEP LOOKING!

I think some folks just want to avoid knowing what there is to see and do in the game. I definitely feel like I've seen too much, and I haven't even played the demo (I gave my codes away!) I want to walk into alleys and find out what's in there without having that spoiled for me in a trailer/video/screenshot. BUT I CAN'T HELP MYSELF! I KEEP LOOKING!
20 more days of this mental trauma before we will be too busy playing the game to worry about any of this stuff.

What I'm really interested in is what the fans will think of it. There seems to be this fallacy that gets thrown about a lot that fan bases are incapable of objectivity and honest criticism. I don't believe that's the case. Yeah, we might have our blind spots or over look certain aspects that aren't as important to us as someone who isn't a huge fan, but the idea that fans will accept any shit as long as it has the right brand across it seems ridiculous to me. There's just so much we still don't know about the game and I'm really curious to play it and see how it compares to I and II, as well as what others here think of it.

Based on what I've seen? I think I know where my criticisms lie. And I think it's gonna be mostly around presentation for me. I don't want to pass judgment on the story, but just in general terms of presentation (voice acting, animation and such)...I think I know where my honest opinion lies already. It looks to be a bit of a mixed bag.

My key concerns now are really just presentation and whether the game can hold its momentum for 20-30 hours. For instance, the fighting is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. How many fighting styles will be in the final product? And how many street fighters will be copying a default move set? Could that get tiresome? Will the lack of throws allow for a good mix up? I enjoyed what I played of the fighting in the trial, but how's it gonna hold up for the entire game? Granted, they could get away with minimal fights by not putting too much focus on it in typical Shenmue tradition...but supposedly this is the game that will feature the most battles (so far)...so I'm curious how that holds up in the long run.

Presentation is the only other concern I have. But even then that's just me nitpicking as everything we've seen is out of context.

As much as I will love playing the game when it comes out...I won't suger coat it either...I will be very honest if there is something that disappoints me about it...but hey, we'll find out in 20 days. But I too am curious to see reactions of other fans and will be reading the varying impressions here after I'm done with it.

I think it'll get a decent amount of good reviews and a lot of mediocre reviews from people who are afraid to bad mouth Shenmue (or raise the ire of this lovely community) and end up in the low 70s on Metacritic. Of course there'll be a few bad reviews, too, but I suspect those will be limited to make way for the reviewers who are afraid to attack a game with such a great legacy.

Back