The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

GamePro Germnay added to Metacritic, Screen Rant should be next as they appear in the Death Stranding list

I hate "it's not for everyone" label, specially when it just comes with genre idiosyncrasies.
Imagine if they said the same about FPS or TPS (or any major genre), it would be a shitshow, and believe me, I'd prefer to play a VN instead of a FPS most of the time.
It bugs me quite a bit, since it's was a usual complaint against graphic adventures, which is my favorite genre.
I understand that Shenmue is an easy target because the gameplay loop is pretty much unique, but they throw it around like candy.

I honestly believe the fact they hated Death Stranding so much is a big benefit to Shenmue.

"Could have been worse. Could have been Death Stranding" :ROFLMAO:

I'm not shitting on DS either, but yeah wow they really fucking hated that.

Anyway. Few more reviews coming . Mainly 7's which I think is great. I'm still waiting on that US IGN review because like it or not they drive sales.
They really didnt though, a 6.8 aint great but its marginally below a passing score (and around where s3 is scoring) and pretty much every staff member outside of the main reviewer loved it. If anything it'd be absolutely horrible for shenmue's chances if they hated it as much as you say cause both pride themselves on slower pace.

Complexity:
+ At least 25 hours of content, two huge areas, training and minigames, a lot to explore
- not a lot of side missions

76 / 100
Until I started looking for them, I thought the same thing (I only came across two in Bailu). Trying to put together a list right now and it looks like there are 10+ on each area, possibly a lot more. It’s a shame they only trigger at certain times and if you’re standing close to the person issuing them (made more difficult by the people not loading in unless you’re standing on the spot they’re supposed to be).

I was on about giant bomb, you know, who you were talking about, in the post before mine lol
I thought you meant ign my bad. I had the other thread about ds open and mixed wires

Until I started looking for them, I thought the same thing (I only came across two in Bailu). Trying to put together a list right now and it looks like there are 10+ on each area, possibly a lot more. It’s a shame they only trigger at certain times and if you’re standing close to the person issuing them (made more difficult by the people not loading in unless you’re standing on the spot they’re supposed to be).
I mean only about 10 per area aint that much tbh. I also dont think they were particularly long either from the ones I've played. I too kind of wish there were more or that the ones we had were more extensive.

I think the general apathy for Shenmue 3 may be working in its favor. Theres not a lot of reviews right now so its at 70 on metacritic. I imagine if more outlets cared to review it then the score would be substantially lower.

My favorite gaming site 4players just reviewed the game. They are very critical but fair and have a great taste in games imo.

And they gave Shenmue 3 a 83% rating. The reviewer personally loved it, you can tell by the writing itself. He says that the game is far off to be the game of the year of the magazine or far off achieving a platinum award like the first two installments did but it’s his game of the year for sure!

Love :love:

Last edited:
I think the general apathy for Shenmue 3 may be working in its favor. Theres not a lot of reviews right now so its at 70 on metacritic. I imagine if more outlets cared to review it then the score would be substantially lower.
I know you were expecting the worst, but come on. The game really isn’t anywhere close to bad. It’s got its idiosyncrasies, but I think it’s ending up as it should.

Fantastic to see so many good reviews coming in. I know we will have a storm to ride with a couple but we get a few more 7+ scores and that will negate those.
I'm hoping for more 8+ reviews cause those are actually whats needed to up the score. Like if most placed give it 7's then it registers looking worse than what that actually is since a couple negative scores can drop the median below the passing grade. Ideally while im not holding out hope for it, I hope it winds up in the 75+ range so it can at least get a green score on mc.

I know you were expecting the worst, but come on. The game really isn’t anywhere close to bad. It’s got its idiosyncrasies, but I think it’s ending up as it should.

Im not gonna lie, I was expecting worse. But believe me, Im not complaining at all. Its just it seems general interest in the game is low. I havent seen any big streamers stream it at all and it cant be denied that theres not that many reviews so far either. For a game with such a legacy youd think thered be much more, whether loved or hated or mixed.

But yeah, I think 7/10 is a great score for this game.

I think the low number of reviews is also because of the fact they didn’t send copies out until the final hour. But for sure, it’s definitely not going to be the hottest game of the Christmas season.

Think it will sell better than many think though, for Christmas time.

Just a hunch, not basing it on anything.

I think the low number of reviews is also because of the fact they didn’t send copies out until the final hour. But for sure, it’s definitely not going to be the hottest game of the Christmas season.
I think it played a part but not entirely for the lower scores, the complaints in some of them arent really that far off from the flaws the game actually has. The only one that was legitimently a big heaping pile of crap was the polygon one which I dont think they rushed, I'm fairly positive they played like 3 hours and wrote the review, everything they wrote was like shit that happens in the first hour of the game.

My favorite gaming site 4players just reviewed the game. They are very critical but fair and have a great taste in games imo.

And they gave Shenmue 3 a 83% rating. The reviewer personally loved it, you can tell by the writing itself. He says that the game is far off to be the game of the year of the magazine or far off achieving a platinum award like the first two installments did but it’s his game of the year for sure!

Love :love:

Will their score end up on Metacritic?

I agree. People here didn't like the VG 24/7 review, but it was pretty fair if you actually read the actual words in the review and didn't just focus on 3/5.

I hate "it's not for everyone" label, specially when it just comes with genre idiosyncrasies.
Imagine if they said the same about FPS or TPS (or any major genre), it would be a shitshow, and believe me, I'd prefer to play a VN instead of a FPS most of the time.
It bugs me quite a bit, since it's was a usual complaint against graphic adventures, which is my favorite genre.
I understand that Shenmue is an easy target because the gameplay loop is pretty much unique, but they throw it around like candy.
It sucks, it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point. I feel like way more people would at least try to get into the series if they weren't constantly bombarded by this message. And as I alluded to before, I feel this idea leads to lower review scores from people who otherwise quite enjoyed the games.

Back