The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

I think it has more to do with them needing to get a review out ASAP to drive traffic to their site. Most people aren’t going to wait for publication X’s review when 10-15 other publications have reviews out. Maybe some of the reviewers would have still rushed through the game even if they’d had their copies earlier, but I dare say many would have taken their time a bit more had they not been under pressure to get their reviews online as quickly as possible.
Your faith in “reviewers” to provide an accurate depiction of a game is admirable, but I honestly believe the majority went into the game with their opinion set in stone. I doubt anyone who gave the game sub-7 were very interested in exploring what it has to offer.

Bad reviews PS4:
11 on the 19th
11 on the 20th
3 on the 21th
2 on 24th
1 on 25th
2 on 27th
1 on 28th

Of the 30 reviews, 22 were in the first 2 days.

Bad reviews PC:
6 on the 19th
8 on the 20th
1 on the 21th
1 on the 22th
2 on the 23th
2 on the 24th
1 on the 26th

Of the 21 reviews, 14 were the first 2 days

That seems very telling. It must be so frustrating for devs to see so called professional reviewers rush through their game just to get a review out quickly. All of that hard work is wasted on these people.

You don't get the full Shenmue experience by rushing through the game in a few days, and the same goes for most games. I can understand everyday people sometimes rushing through games, we don't all have time to play games for hours a day, but professional reviewers should be taking as much time as possible. It's their job to study the game thoroughly.

The likes of Gamespot may give this game a bad review, the may give it a good review, but at least we can say they actually took their time with the game instead of rushing through it.

Your faith in “reviewers” to provide an accurate depiction of a game is admirable, but I honestly believe the majority went into the game with their opinion set in stone. I doubt anyone who gave the game sub-7 were very interested in exploring what it has to offer.
They dont even played it, they just saw the trailer and read one clickbait video that have the word "disappointing?" in the title

You can say critics like I did (sIII thoughs) or somebody here said (ending stuff) that you can like more or less, but they are valid critics.

This stuff we see in the reviews are the kinda "ps2 graphicz". This aren't serious critics. Just virgin people that never touched a vagina (or a dick)

Last edited:
With all due respect, I think your pessimism is a little unwarranted and the idea that ‘the majority’ of reviewers had made up their mind before playing the game sounds like a paranoid conspiracy theory to me which is not at all backed up by the reviews we’ve seen published.

Whilst being jerked around by DS might have affected the mindset of some reviewers going into their playthrough of the game, panning it before playing it does nothing for reviewers and would only serve to piss off fans and the publisher and make them look foolish if the game were actually deemed good by the majority.

I’m yet to see any criticism of the game that isn’t in some way routed in reality and whilst I think that some reviewers were a little harsh in how they came to their final conclusions and scores, I accept that the game isn’t for everyone and has its fair share of flaws.

Last edited:
With all do respect, I think your pessimism is a little unwarranted and the idea that ‘the majority’ of reviewers had made up their mind before playing the game sounds like a paranoid conspiracy theory to me which is not at all backed up by the reviews we’ve seen published.

Whilst being jerked around by DS might have affected the mindset of some reviewers going into their playthrough of the game, panning it before playing it does nothing for reviewers and would only serve to piss off fans and the publisher and make them look foolish if the game were actually deemed good by the majority.

I’m yet to see any criticism of the game that isn’t in some way routed in reality and whilst I think that some reviewers were a little harsh in how they came to their final conclusions and scores, I accept that the game isn’t for everyone and has its fair share of flaws.
Agree to disagree then. There are been a strange, pervasive idea that has been going around that Shenmue was never good, and I think a lot of reviewers get their kicks from promoting this viewpoint. Look at Polygon or Kotaku for this.

Outside of Shenmue, there has been an anti-Sega anything narrative that has been promoted over the past few years, and if you don’t see it, that’s fine. But to many of us, it is incredibly apparent that this is a fact.

I’m yet to see any criticism of the game that isn’t in some way routed in reality.
That is the absolute bare minimum we should be expecting from these people, it's absurdly easy criteria to meet, and Polygon couldn't even manage this with their claim that the combat hasn't changed from the first two games. I'm not one to waste time reading "professional" reviews to begin with (honestly I only keep popping in this and the sales threads because they're relatively active) and I understand that Polygon is worse than most, but honestly, even many of the other small snippets I've seen posted here have been mind-numbingly vague and general. Like yes, they can avoid being incorrect by doing so (which again, is the bare fucking minimum we should expect from them), but they also aren't bringing anything new or intelligent to the discussion either.

I'm seeing a trend of the bigger outlets not taking thier time and have nothing to say about all the damn heart & soul polished into this game by YS with lots of heartwarming moments that the game offers. But smaller outlets points these things out and it reflects the greater experience and enjoyment plus the score. Def a miss the mark kind of scenario rather than a bad game. If we wanna be srsly objective, then they'd noticed the "game design" is on point and an art-house masterpiece...but none of it is articulated by anyone who's part of the "Outdated/bad game" crowd which speaks volumes about their evaluations. I'm still working on finishing the game myself, but even I can see the visionary art direction and game design atmosphere YS is evoking within S3 is genius lvl stuff from my glimpses so far. Only lacking so far are the systems/technical polishing side of things.

Going to go ahead and end this discussion here. My mother taught me better than to waste my time discussing things with people who label conjecture as fact.

Agree to disagree we shall.
You honestly don’t notice this? It’s not conjecture that mainstream gaming outlet routinely ignore and diminish Sega’s contributions to the industry. Just look at IGN’s recent “Top 100 Games of All Time” list. Not a single Sega game. No Daytona USA, no Sega Rally, no Sonic 3 & Knuckles, no Space Harrier, no Virtua Fighter, no Shining Force, no House of the Dead, no Phantasy Star, no Panzer Dragoon Saga, etc. https://www.ign.com/lists/top-100-games

Call me crazy, but I think for this to happen you need to be either incredibly ignorant of the industry you’re presenting yourself as an expert of or you need to actively dislike the company.

You honestly don’t notice this? It’s not conjecture that mainstream gaming outlet routinely ignore and diminish Sega’s contributions to the industry. Just look at IGN’s recent “Top 100 Games of All Time” list. Not a single Sega game. No Daytona USA, no Sega Rally, no Sonic 3 & Knuckles, no Space Harrier, no Virtua Fighter, no Shining Force, no House of the Dead, no Phantasy Star, no Panzer Dragoon Saga, etc. https://www.ign.com/lists/top-100-games

Call me crazy, but I think for this to happen you need to be either incredibly ignorant of the industry you’re presenting yourself as an expert of or you need to actively dislike the company.

Not getting into the main discussion you 2 are having but that list does leave out some major titles.

The majority of people contributing to these lists probably grew up on Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox games. SEGA as a console manufacturer have been dead for almost 20 years now. They're bound to be under-represented in mainstream lists such as this. Thankfully, no one takes these lists seriously unless they're 15 or whatever.

Not having a single sega game on this list is f.. insane. What world do these guys live? LoL.

The majority of people contributing to these lists probably grew up on Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox games. SEGA as a console manufacturer have been dead for almost 20 years now. They're bound to be under-represented in mainstream lists such as this. Thankfully, no one takes these lists seriously unless they're 15 or whatever.
Yeah. Hard to take a list of ‘the greatest games of all time’ seriously when it includes Fortnight and RE2 remake, let along so prominently.

Yes, but when these “mainstream lists” are from the same publishers who provide reviews that influence the sales and perceptions of certain software we have an interest in, I think it’s fair to point out the bias represented.

Yes, but when these “mainstream lists” are from the same publishers who provide reviews that influence the sales and perceptions of certain software we have an interest in, I think it’s fair to point out the bias represented.
I'm not sure that people being too young to have grown up with SEGA is something to get annoyed about, though. I see where you're coming from, but it's just the (sad) reality of the modern games industry.

There has always been a bias towards Nintendo in the online games media because of Nintendo's domination in the US market, and nowadays SEGA don't even enter the equation for most people. I guess I'm just used to it.

There has always been a bias towards Nintendo in the online games media because of Nintendo's domination in the US market, and nowadays SEGA don't even enter the equation for most people. I guess I'm just used to it.

I think a lot of it also has to do with a certain nostalgic factor. For a lot of games journalists in the US, you mostly hear they were Nintendo kids growing up...so probably has a lot to do with it as well

I just came across an article about Shenmue 3’s reception on Game Informer.biz and while it begins woefully inaccurately (posted on the 25th, their editor in chief states that for a game that’s been out ‘nearly 2 weeks’, there weren’t a lot of Metacritic reviews), it does a fairly decent job of summarizing some of the reviews including both positives and negatives. An interesting read if you have a few minutes to kill.

I
I think a lot of it also has to do with a certain nostalgic factor. For a lot of games journalists in the US, you mostly hear they were Nintendo kids growing up...so probably has a lot to do with it as well
I’m not a big Nintendo fan. I haven’t owned one of their consoles since the N64. I did grow up on the NES and SNES, however, and loved both. I think it’s great there’s still a company that primarily makes video games in the console business. It’s hard to imagine the same enthusiasm for mega corporations like Sony and Microsoft. I totally get it. I wish Sega were in the same position.

Back