The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

I told you! The only two review sites I trust and Kotaku and Famitsu.

That's the thing... although it will undoubtedly drop to a 69, the sites I trust the most (Eurogamer, Kotaku etc) are the ones that are full of praise for the game.

Who the hell trusts the likes of IGN and Gamespot? They're The Sun and Mirror of video games media.

Look guys, relax. I wouldn't put to much stake in the AJSR. It does more harm to his channels credibility than S3 given the quality of the so-called review. People come for joes skits not Del whats his name ( I would know as I've been on and off the channel for years. I go there for the laughs nothing more ) so it's not as damaging as you might think, also as his channel grew he ( unfortunately it's the way of things ) aquired a much younger audience with the growth, now outnumbering the adults that got the channel off the ground to begin with. Now that isn't Joes fault but even if it was a more favourable review ( I still think he'd have given the game a 6 in the proper Angry review, none of that rapid fire shit, which is still bad because that's where viewership numbers really go and since it didn't it's all good ) many of his viewers don't and will never play these slow type of games. Joe just doesn't prefer slow games as an example Death Stranding got a 7/10 for it's troubles.

As for the Yakuza slur being used as some type of matter of fact statement. Yakuza 0 was his first and only ( "some" of 6 aside ) foray into the series along with the rest of his crew ( lucky him for it's a very good entry to start ) and still gave it an 8/10 so yeah, as others have mentioned here before, that means you don't know jack-shit about either series when you pull that slur out of the hat, Delrithean!

The only really unfortunate thing to befall S3 is that the heavy hitters of October- November ( Star wars, COD, DeathStranding ) flooded the workflow of some decent youtubers ( with more aproachable audiences ) like Skillup, or in ACG's case- why did you have to pick this time of all times to go on holiday for 2 weeks and miss everything in November- I initially thought he'd fallen off a cliff doing his hiking or something cause he pumps out reviews like crazy. Those would have been good, thoughtful reviews, with fair criticism, on youtube atleast, to get the game decent coverage.

And finally the games doing good on Mettacritic overall all things considered ( 50 reviews as of now at 70% and an 8 user rating ) and there's still some guaranteed good reviews to come which should balance it out and also should Gamespot and Edge not be enamoured by its charms they shouldn't really knock it out of the 70 range overall, which is what everyone was hoping for to begin with. Edit- for fucks sake Gamespot!

The Gamespot review is on Metacritic now. But it DIDN'T drop to 69.

SO, the two largest sites gave it two of its worst reviews. That's fun. Two giant YouTubers also ripped it to shreds. But less popular channels and review-sites give it praise. What's up with that?

So much shit happened recently so I'm posting the latest update already (a lot of pages quickly)

New: Added an "Other" section for reviews that don't give numerical scores.

Updated list version 7 with all the recent scores

Reviews thus far (because I'm bored) >WIP<

• DIGITALLY DOWNLOADED

9+
  • 90 - IGN Japan
  • 90 - Slant Magazine
8+
  • 85 - DualShockers
  • 85 - Gaming Trend
  • 85 - PSX-Sense.nl
  • 83 - 4players.de
  • 80 - DarkStation
  • 80 - The Guardian
  • 80 - Gamesradar
  • 80 - GameCritics
  • 80 - Videogamer
  • 80 - Game Revolution
  • 80 - LaPS4
  • 80 - Hobby Consolas
  • 80 - Twinfinite
  • 80 - VGC
  • 80 - PlayStation Universe
  • 80 - We Got This Covered
  • 80 - Wfftech
7+
  • 78 - Atomix
  • 76 - GamePro Germany
  • 75 - Gamer.nl
  • 75 - EveryEye.it
  • 75 - Multiplayer.it
  • 75 - The Games Machine
  • 73 - Spazio Games
  • 72 - Vandal
  • 70 - Hardcore Gamer
  • 70 - Destructoid
  • 70 - Eurogamer Italy
  • 70 - RPG Fan
  • 70 - IGN Spain
  • 70 - IGN Italia
  • 70 - Gameblog.fr
6+
  • 65 - Gamecrate
  • 65 - 3DJuegos
  • 65 - PlayStation Lifestyle
  • 60 - CG Magazine
  • 60 - GameInformer
  • 60 - Gamespew
  • 60 - CheatCodeCentral
  • 60 - Metro GameCentral
  • 60 - Worth Playing
  • 60 - M3
  • 60 - Cogconnected
  • 60 - VG247
5+
  • 55 - XGN
  • 50 - JeuxVideo
  • 50 - JeuxActu
  • 50 - GameSpot
  • 50 - USGamer
4+
  • 45 - Gamers Heroes
  • 40 - Trusted Reviews
UNRANKED (Not on Metacritic for PS4)
  • 100 - Hey Poor Player
  • 99 - Paste Magazine
  • 95 - NicheGamer
  • 85 - Pure PlayStation
  • 82 - M! Gaming
  • 83 - PC Gamer (PC)
  • 80 - GameStar (PC)
  • 80 - FZ.se
  • 80 - PC Invasion (PC)
  • 80 - Gamereactor
  • 80 - Mspoweruser
  • 80 - Navigames
  • 80 - Famitsu
  • 75 - Meristation (Mc-bound, rated for both PC and PS4)
  • 70 - Gamersky (PC)
  • 70 - Screenrant (PC)
  • 70 - Gamingbolt
  • 70 - WindowsCentral (PC)
  • 60 - Game Reactor Norway
  • 60 - AllGamersInn
  • 59 - IGN America (PC)
  • 58 - RageQuit.gr (PC)
  • 50 - Game Over (PC)
  • 50 - Le Journal du geek
  • 40 - Denofgeek
  • 40 - AngryJoe Show
  • 40 - Comicbook
OTHER

Positive:
  • LADBible (it's actually a very positive review, but the score is IDK/10 . They REALLY understand Shenmue-fans)
  • Eurogamer (recommended)
  • Kotaku (Understands Shenmue to a T.)

Negative:
  • Polygon (Totally trashes Shenmue. Unfair review where it is questionable if the reviewer even played the game)

NOTE: The Unranked section will be color coded like the rest of the list in a future update.
NOTE: List is updated as we go along and re-posted when needed (when enough time has passed or after many reviews at once, etc).

Last edited:
Gamespot review is sad in how you really can’t say anything bad about it, the reviewer simply highlighted the games shortcomings and explained why they are bad.

Why is it in most of these of reviews I keep seeing the words "Combat in the original games was clunky and Shenmue III is no better"

I think that's just a self admittance that THEY weren't good at the combat more than anything...those of us who did get good know just how damn good Shenmue II's combat could be :D Especially when you mastered timing on counters such as Swallow Flip and Counter Elbow Assault...boy does that stuff feel great to hit when you get the timing down :D

Eh, what do I really expect? Most of these reviewers don't play fighting games and simply button mash so of course they didn't get it.

Back