The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

The split on the reviews is bloody crazy. It's almost exactly 50% positive vs 50% mixed (with 2 negatives thrown in...they don't count :p). It has to be one of the most polarising games of recent times.

I was thinking the same, which kinda means it's won on those grounds if half like it and half don't. The first games were very much Marmite (Just down to pacing, nothing else), this game is more like Marmite: PLUS, there's too many annoyances in S3 (I'm looking mainly at you though health and stamina bar 🥐🥒🥑🦐🥖🥓).

No one gives a fuck about Famitsu scores cause they dont even review games past the first few hours, but in case anyone cares 32/40 7/9/8/8

I really hate how they distribute their scores, 32/40 looks so much worse than it actually is. especially when its that far below pokemon. But again, everyone hates Famitsu anyway so its not like its going to sway people away or towards.

No one gives a fuck about Famitsu scores cause they dont even review games past the first few hours, but in case anyone cares 32/40 7/9/8/8
I don’t care about Famitsu scores as they rarely score a game badly. According to them, 90% of games are 80%+ quality. That makes it hard to take anything they say too seriously.

I don’t care about Famitsu scores as they rarely score a game badly. According to them, 90% of games are 80%+ quality. That makes it hard to take anything they say too seriously.
yeah they are pretty awful, again it really cant be stressed they dont even review the games actually, they literally play for like 2 to 3 hours alot of the time then give their score.

But its not like they have an effect on anything, people in japan use them for news not reviews, and they have no sway in the west not appearing on metacritic or anything past a occasional gematsu or forum post.

yeah they are pretty awful, again it really cant be stressed they dont even review the games actually, they literally play for like 2 to 3 hours alot of the time then give their score.

But its not like they have an effect on anything, people in japan use them for news not reviews, and they have no sway in the west not appearing on metacritic or anything past a occasional gematsu or forum post.
I’m not sure any gaming publication has much sway anywhere these days. A lot of gamers just buy the same rehashed versions of old games each year while other buys what their favorite Youtubers tell them to. A smart publisher would just offer someone like Pewdie Pie a wheelbarrow full of cash to play their game on a few of his videos. I dare say many of them do.

Famitsu used to seem like a big deal when I was a kid. No idea if it was. I just remember refreshing The Magic Box when Shnmue was about to come out to see how Famitsu scored it.

Famitsu used to be a big deal online, back when Japan would get all the big games first, and it's still Japan's most popular outlet. However, there are different "journalistic" expectations over there, which basically means they're buddy-buddy with all the publishers and never give out bad reviews. Not even people in Japan take their scores seriously.

oh GOD this review is atrocious... He's saying shenmue fans have always been a joke and that shenmue was always a "terrible game" the review has so much bias in it it's incredible. The hundreds of comments on the video are all hating shenmue too, I didn't think it was THIS hated... https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/shenmue-iii-zero-punctuation/

yusuzuki.png

I can't even get angry about this...the misinformation is just fucking laughably depressing. We're talking about Yu Suzuki...a guy who has done more in his life than this cretin ever will.

Talk about false equivalencies....here's one!

Last edited:
View attachment 6152

I can't even get angry about this...the misinformation is just fucking laughably depressing. We're talking about Yu Suzuki...a guy who has done more in his life than this cretin ever will.

Talk about false equivalencies....here's one!
This guy must be desperate to complain about trump at all times if he can somehow look at fucking shenmue of all things and immediately jump to trump.

This guy must be desperate to complain about trump at all times if he can somehow look at fucking shenmue of all things and immediately jump to trump.

Yeah...I mean I'm not a fan of Trump and I don't want to turn this into a politics shit fest so leaving aside the "is Trump good or bad?" talk...but I am genuinely amused by the people who are SO enraged by the thought of him that they find every little way to bring him up even when he isn't at all relevant to the conversation at hand...it's bordering on unhealthy obsession.

And they think we're unhealthy because we're fans of a game? Look in the mirror! :D

Yeah...I mean I'm not a fan of Trump and I don't want to turn this into a politics shit fest so leaving aside the "is Trump good or bad?" talk...but I am genuinely amused by the people who are SO enraged by the thought of him that they find every little way to bring him up even when he isn't at all relevant to the conversation at hand...it's bordering on obsession.
I am on the same boat, I think trump sucks but people obsess themselves with hating him and bringing him up at all times that they essentially become his biggest fans. Like its comically unhealthy.

Like if you can look at shenmue, freaking shenmue, and immediately jump to trump, let alone modern american politics in any fucking facet, get help.

Well I sent that one to badgamingtakes and he responded saying what a lunatic, so at the very least more people are gonna look at something that galaxy brained and laughed at if that inevitably gets posted, cause holy shit that ones bad.

oh GOD this review is atrocious... He's saying shenmue fans have always been a joke and that shenmue was always a "terrible game" the review has so much bias in it it's incredible. The hundreds of comments on the video are all hating shenmue too, I didn't think it was THIS hated... https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/shenmue-iii-zero-punctuation/

Well, Yahtzee hates almost every game ever. So that isn't surprising. The depressing part is the comment section.

Back