The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

How can you "review" something you didn't even finish by the way? When a film critic walks out of a film, they generally waver their right to review it. So technically, how can you review something you didn't finish in the first place?

Well, Yahtzee hates almost every game ever. So that isn't surprising. The depressing part is the comment section.

Are we really surprised anymore? Honestly, it's not worth the time or effort to even deal with them.

View attachment 6152

I can't even get angry about this...the misinformation is just fucking laughably depressing. We're talking about Yu Suzuki...a guy who has done more in his life than this cretin ever will.

Talk about false equivalencies....here's one!
Yeah these takes are really starting to bug me, but I know it’s just pure ignorance.

How can you "review" something you didn't even finish by the way? When a film critic walks out of a film, they generally waver their right to review it. So technically, how can you review something you didn't finish in the first place?

Are we really surprised anymore? Honestly, it's not worth the time or effort to even deal with them.

Normally I engage in these comment sections but after the Gamespot review.. I don't really have it in me anymore. It's too tiring.

Normally I engage in these comment sections but after the Gamespot review.. I don't really have it in me anymore. It's too tiring.

I try to refrain, just because I know I can't help myself and I will snipe back and it doesn't do anyone any good in the long run and again, it just isn't worth it.

I imagine most of them are teenagers or people who are just slavishly devoted to whatever opinion their favorite YouTube personality espouses. They’ll quickly move on to his next target for his negativity.

Last edited:
I imagine most of them are teenagers or people who are just slavishly devoted to whatever opinion their favorite YouTube personality espouses.

This is true, although...I'm a 33 year old man and I'm posting here so I wouldn't put it past someone my age doing something similar over there...

I am on the same boat, I think trump sucks but people obsess themselves with hating him and bringing him up at all times that they essentially become his biggest fans. Like its comically unhealthy.

Like if you can look at shenmue, freaking shenmue, and immediately jump to trump, let alone modern american politics in any fucking facet, get help.

Don't let Corey Marshall see this post. If you follow him on social media. He absolutely HATES trump

Don't let Corey Marshall see this post. If you follow him on social media. He absolutely HATES trump
That kind of reminds me of when Red dead 2 came out and they announced who all the voice actors were, I went to all their twitters to send a congratulations thing for their great performances alongside a bunch of others, all of them were so humble and talking about the great experience of working on the game and getting to know eachother, and just being really grateful to be a part of it, thats all there twitters were, with one exception, the guy who played dutch was only going nuts over politics and didnt even mention being in red dead 2 for more than like 1 or 2 tweets, funnily enough thats kind of in character given who he played.

To be fair guys there's wildly obsessive people about politics on both sides.

Oh no doubt...I never said that wasn't the case at all. Both ends of the spectrum have their fare share of nut cases. That's always been the case. (can you tell I'm kind of Libertarian...or fence sitter to some :D)

Well actually, all three sides have their nut cases because I can point the finger at some Libertarian nut cases as well.

That post is absurd. A legendary game developer vs. whatever you may think Trump is. How ridiculous. It’s annoying how much people who know nothing come across as know it alls. Yeah, one of the most acclaimed and successful game developers of all time is a hack because some dude on YouTube said some words.

I like the dude who keeps insisting you need to watch Jim Sterling’s video so you can get the true scoop on Yu Suzuki. How about he tells the Academy of Arts and Sciences and the Smithsonian—as well as countless game designers—that? Oh, when they get called out on their ignorance they move the goalposts to some bullshit about how he was basically just a car commercial director who should’ve stayed in his own lane and not made a “full length game.” These fuckers don’t even know that he engineered the arcade boards these games came out on. Ughhh. Ignorant internet commentators and their ability to rile me up when I know they shouldn’t.

Last edited:
View attachment 6152

I can't even get angry about this...the misinformation is just fucking laughably depressing. We're talking about Yu Suzuki...a guy who has done more in his life than this cretin ever will.

Talk about false equivalencies....here's one!

This is asinine lol. The ignorance and disrespect is off the charts. It never ceases to amaze me how people who are ignorant about something have such strong opinions and are dumb enough to voice them.

I like the dude who keeps insisting you need to watch Jim Sterling’s video so you can get the true scoop on Yu Suzuki. How about he tells the Academy of Arts and Sciences and the Smithsonian—as well as countless game designers—that? Oh, when they get called out on their ignorance they move the goalposts to some bullshit about how he was basically just a car commercial director who should’ve stayed in his own lane and not made a “full length game.” These fuckers don’t even know that he engineered the arcade boards these games came out on. Ughhh. Ignorant internet commentators and their ability to rile me up when I know they shouldn’t.

Mark Romanek was a commercial director -- went on to make One Hour Photo. A terrific little character study featuring an astounding performance from Robin Williams.

Never mind the fact that Ridley Scott made commercials

Steven Spielberg made commercials

Spike Jonze was a music video director before making feature length films

Sergio Leone made commercials

Martin Scorsese made commercials -- Oh wait, I forgot, he might as well be Hitler in the eyes of the Marvel fanboydom at the moment...or did they finally get over it?

Hell, David Fucking Lynch made a PS2 commercial back in the day.

I mean they'd be surprised how many notable film makers have made commercials...almost like they have to make a living and commercials pay well. Plus, it's a new challenge for some of them...or a chance to get noticed for younger aspiring film makers

These fucking people, man...the ignorance is astounding.

Last edited:
Mark Romanek was a commercial director -- went on to make One Hour Photo. A terrific little character study featuring an astounding performance from Robin Williams.

Never mind the fact that Ridley Scott made commercials

Steven Spielberg made commercials

Spike Jonze was a music video director before making feature length films

Sergio Leone made commercials

Martin Scorsese made commercials -- Oh wait, I forgot, he might as well be Hitler in the eyes of the Marvel fanboydom at the moment...or did they finally get over it?

Hell, David Fucking Lynch made a PS2 commercial back in the day.

These fucking people, man...the ignorance is astounding.

And remember...Suzuki isn't even into gaming nor plays games. Just a guy who thought the title "Programmer" sexy enuf to try and be one...then boom industry innovation left and right for over the next 2 decades. Seems he missed out on that golden joystick life time achievement just recently. Ironic for someone who seems to act like they follow gaming culture closely.

And remember...Suzuki isn't even into gaming nor plays games. Just a guy who thought the title "Programmer" sexy enuf to try and be one...then boom industry innovation left and right for over the next 2 decades. Seems he missed out on that golden joystick life time achievement just recently. Ironic for someone who seems to act like they follow gaming culture.

It would be amazing if Yu won the industry icon award at the game awards, that would give him a lot more attention than the lifetime achievement from golden joystick.

I kind of respect the fact that he admittedly doesn't play games and just tries to do things his own way. I'd rather more people have the balls to risk failure and do their own thing than just mindlessly copy everything else that comes along to make a quick buck.

I'm so over the GTA formula...I'm so over the Ubisoft check list formula...I'm so over open world sandbox games and the formula that has remained stagnant since GTA III....playing Shenmue III was a reminder that even with its many warts (and it admitedly has them -- I'm a fan and I can even see those warts) it still has the balls to do things its own way. For better or worse.

And I kind of appreciate it for that (as I said in the review I wrote that I will share later when it gets posted)

Back