The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

NicheGamer.com 9.5/10

Aww, they are not on Metacritic's list. Too bad their score would look damn good.

is this going to be put in metascore?
They are not, nichegamer is a bit controversial is I imagine why, if it makes up for it though for better or worse nichegamer actually does have a fairly active community, they just tend to be very weeb.

Sorry for double posting the same question in this thread. My phone gave me some problems and I thought it did not load the first one

DreamcastGuy posted his review... Is he really a big fan? Seems he's surprised Shenmue III wasn't the end, he says we were not able to fast forward time in the past... Despite him reviewing Shenmue I and II HD... You'd think he'd know all this if he really was a "super fan".

Don't wanna throw around wild accusations but I just find it weird.

Anyone know if these guys from Score typically get added to the metacritic score?

Nope. Stuff does not show up.

One good review that does is the screnrant one (3.5/5) which should appear soon.

DreamcastGuy posted his review... Is he really a big fan? Seems he's surprised Shenmue III wasn't the end, he says we were not able to fast forward time in the past... Despite him reviewing Shenmue I and II HD... You'd think he'd know all this if he really was a "super fan".

I do not normally comment on YouTube channels or personalities but watched his review and it was filled with lots of inaccuracies.

Last edited:
It sucks, it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point. I feel like way more people would at least try to get into the series if they weren't constantly bombarded by this message. And as I alluded to before, I feel this idea leads to lower review scores from people who otherwise quite enjoyed the games.
Totally agree, I would even add that I'm tired of reading or earing "it's what the fan wanted" (which can be applied to many game series), they think all fans want the same things but after looking at various places it's clearly not the case.

Last edited:

To put it lightly, that dude is completely full of it, like hes that weird inverse of all those cynical youtube channels that just conflate negativity for critical analysis, but he just sort of says a bunch of rambling positives about a game even when he has no fucking clue what hes talking about, like his fist of the north star review was more or less himd escribing seeing fotns for the first time in the back room of a con in the 90's, never watching the show past that and then being like "wow now i get to experience this through this game amazing" even though FOTNS advetises itself on being an original storyline.

Dreamcast Guy is up there with Metal Jesus Rocks for me as one of these personalities who may be a nice enough guy in real life, but has no real clue about what they proclaim in their videos.

Totally agree, I would even add that I'm tired of reading or earing "it's what the fan wanted" (which can be applied to many game series), they think all fans want the same things but after looking at various places it's clearly not the case.

Dietsoap nailed it. You're not going to widen the genre audience if you keep repeating the same thing. You barely read the same thing with STR, simulators or point&click.
Following their logic, mainstream genres are not for everyone neither since many people don't play videogames at all, because they precisely think that games are everything about quick-rewarding sensations, grinding and completion. Arcade historically determinate the shape of the audience we inherited today but there is still room for another fun ways of playing if they have the courage to think twice about it.

Back