The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

I'd give the game 6/10. If you are still playing don't read any further although it's not giving much away here. I was expecting going into this that the game play would be sub-par and the story to be good. It seems like the exact opposite. It's a fun game to play, but the story writing was just awful. What a fall from Shenmue II, the climactic elements that were building up from the last two just crumbled into mundane. The plot holes you can steer the Titanic through. You would think given the fact that Shenhua's father had been kidnapped, the tempo and the concern would keep up with the situation. You spend the whole time in Bailu not learning anything new than what Yuanda Zhu told you within a few minutes in the last game. Later on when you finally see Ren, it is the must unenthusiastic entrance ever. Ordering Chow Mein and they're both indifferent of each other and Ren's walking around like a NPC. That I found incredibly disappointing and didn't make sense based on what they've been through together. We learned nothing about Lishao Tao's brother, nothing about the Tiger Scroll, no answer as to what happened with Zhao and Iwao. The magical aspects of the mirrors absent. Nothing about the significance of the Shenmue tree which is surprising hence the name SHENMUE! don't even know the name of the female Chiyomen leader, it's like they squished her into the story line. They prolong the game by making you earn money than story line which in actuality was very short and uninteresting, which you would have though they'd want to pack it with as much story as they can. The ending, wow, how immensely unsatisfying which we were promised one. The story goes on? Yea, we'll see considering this barely got off the ground. I'm very disappointed in Yu Suzuki in what he gave us. We deserved much better and more. We got Rush Hour 3 but worse. So many similarities.

Last edited:
Well, it's getting a nice amount of clicks, so maybe it'll help move a dozen units in France.

Show less

{QUOTE}- 4 probably isnt happening, the game sold pathetically with its worst debut in japan including the hd collection, only ranked at 17 in the uk during a week with no other releases before dropping off a cliff the next week. Its sad but this is probably it. One of the guys who funded 3 named cedric said its a 50/50 but if its that up in the sir you can asdume its done

If this isn't you on youtube comment section ( your user name is the same ) you can correct me. I'm calling you out for your typical, negative BS. Hear I am reading a few respectful comments (youtube, easy allies, S3 review ) then yours shows up to squash even a little bit of positivity for everyone. What is your problem? If you've got nothing positive to say then don't say anything at all. Your views on sales have absolutely no weight behind them ( 4 to 6 months is required for AA projects of this size to determine its profit range ), this is not an AAA poduct expected to gain a massive profit in 2 weeks of its release.
Respectfully cut it out or fuck off where someone gives a crap.

Yeah, that’s a pretty shitty comment to be fair. Conjecture and assumptions.

Can't understand anything in this video, but it seems to be getting quite a few views. Assuming it's NEGATIVE.

It's rather an ironic presentation than a review, by imitating the typical French racist towards Asiatic people. Quite funny I would say.

Last edited:
It's rather an ironic presentation than a review, by imitating the typical French racist towards Asiatic people. Quite funny I would say.
I usually understand most of the jokes in his videos, but in this one, it seems to be really targeted to young Youtube addicts.
Also, I had to do some research to understand the “Yang-Li” joke; most of Shenmue players are too old to know some needless back slang term.

I'd give the game 6/10. If you are still playing don't read any further although it's not giving much away here. I was expecting going into this that the game play would be sub-par and the story to be good. It seems like the exact opposite. It's a fun game to play, but the story writing was just awful. What a fall from Shenmue II, the climactic elements that were building up from the last two just crumbled into mundane. The plot holes you can steer the Titanic through. You would think given the fact that Shenhua's father had been kidnapped, the tempo and the concern would keep up with the situation. You spend the whole time in Bailu not learning anything new than what Yuanda Zhu told you within a few minutes in the last game. Later on when you finally see Ren, it is the must unenthusiastic entrance ever. Ordering Chow Mein and they're both indifferent of each other and Ren's walking around like a NPC. That I found incredibly disappointing and didn't make sense based on what they've been through together. We learned nothing about Lishao Tao's brother, nothing about the Tiger Scroll, no answer as to what happened with Zhao and Iwao. The magical aspects of the mirrors absent. Nothing about the significance of the Shenmue tree which is surprising hence the name SHENMUE! don't even know the name of the female Chiyomen leader, it's like they squished her into the story line. They prolong the game by making you earn money than story line which in actuality was very short and uninteresting, which you would have though they'd want to pack it with as much story as they can. The ending, wow, how immensely unsatisfying which we were promised one. The story goes on? Yea, we'll see considering this barely got off the ground. I'm very disappointed in Yu Suzuki in what he gave us. We deserved much better and more. We got Rush Hour 3 but worse. So many similarities.
This hit home. You have covered all the things that went through my mind. As soon as you have to grind for ... “Reverse Body Check”, I literally said out loud “Are you F@&$ing kidding me!?”... that would never have happened in our beloved masterpiece Shenmue II. I can forgive the lazy boxart and weird new Shenmue font, but to literally think the fans only care about the “Shenmue Experience” of messing around with minigames without consideration of the fan love of the story... seems nauseating to me.

We should also recommend the game on its Facebook page, right now it is 3.7/5 stars!!!

I have just seen a new review of shenmue 3, which is nice so I share it wth you
Watched this yeasterday; great video review.
This is the kind of review that I really love to watch and also wished for those that never played the Shenmue series that they would see so they could understand what Shenmue is really all about.

Back