The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

In a follow up to my earlier post regarding usage of only the Right Trigger. Here's a few videos from @Dan over on the fighting thread, who I dare say, has mastered the fighting in this game. Look how good the fights look in comparison to someone just spamming 1-5 moves with no connectors.

Here's another video of his with a 5 chain combo, looks amazing!

Seriously so impressed with these!

Edit:- I've also added these 2 videos to my original post for anyone reading through.
Dan's Original Post in the Fight Engine Thread:-

Thank you for sharing the videos. I don't think I have mastered the combat yet but once I can beat everyone in the game no damage on hardest difficulty then its a different story haha. I agree though, the fights look and play better than if you're only spamming a few moves on R2. I'll admit watching other videos with only 1-5 moves on R2 are being used is pretty boring.

Oh god no :eek: I'm totally cool with anyone disliking the new combat system (which I love, fwiw), but spamming R2 is just wrong. Reminds me of those poor misguided souls who played the HD versions with bloom on...
But I played with the bloo.......... oh. :(

I think that was probably the best review of the game honestly, really nails down the special things that make the series work without overloading it with bias praise, but also taking the time to bring up things that dont work such as how bad the game's presentation is in cutscene direction.

I think a 7 in general is totally fine. The PS4 version of Kingdom Come Deliverance has a 69 on Metacritic
and i loved that game, even the unpatched broken version on day one.
For me a AA game that gets a lot of 7/10, 7.5/10 or 8/10 is always interesting, because it means that it has something special
that you probably love or hate. Those are games that have their own taste and you cant easily compare them.
And i think thats more interesting than the typical modern games that are made for everyone.

I know that for whatever reason a 7/10 is considered bad nowadays but for me its not.
It just means that it has mechanics or whatever that you maybe dont like, but it can also mean
that its something that you will like very much because its exactly your taste.
I dont think that every videogame or every movie should be enjoyable for everyone, because that sounds super boring.

I know that for whatever reason a 7/10 is considered bad nowadays but for me its not.
It just means that it has mechanics or whatever that you maybe dont like, but it can also mean
that its something that you will like very much because its exactly your taste.
I dont think that every videogame or every movie should be enjoyable for everyone, because that sounds super boring.

Me either. Two of my favorite games from this year were swimming in 7's (Days Gone and Shenmue III).

Ain't nothing bad about a 7. But of course, you have people in the comments crying "inflation" and "well, he's a fan so of course he is bias."

I'm a fan and even I would settle to give it a 7 or a 7.5 if I HAD to put a number on it. (all bias removed, it's a 7 for me. With bias? Maybe an 8)

Ah well, what can you do? This whole fixation on numbers is dumb...it's the content of the review that matters and if they listened to what he said then the picture is clear. It's a solid game with some faults that hold it back.

Sweet, EasyAllies arrived. Gonna finalize the list later. Not right now because it's 7 in the morning, I'm insomniac and sickly. Good times.

A 7 is fine, S3 achieved what it set out to do. Give us more Shenmue. And I wouldn't be surprised to know deep down with bias it's a 10/10 for Huber since he got more of what he loved.

Here's hoping we get to S4 and with no other obligations but his vision, YS really flex his wings and inject some new life into this stagnating industry. A good boost of inspiration for modern devs to get the juice going so we can get past the creative hurdle would be awesome.

8.5 from Mundo Gamers, they are not in MC if I recall correctly, but good to read

I'm gonna go get some caffeine and shit so I can keep my eyes open for long enough to finalize the list. I'll add that 8.5 too ^

Couldn't agree more with you guys on the fighting really. I know it's not perfect but it's so much better than people are giving it credit for. I've watched how Huber, and so many other people approach the fighting on twitch and youtube, and they are all using ONLY the right trigger. The fighting system is simply what you make of it, you get out what you put in.
If you just set up 5 moves in MT, cycle between then with R1 & L1, and then press R2 to execute, then I'll say it here, you are doing it wrong.
If you're only using right trigger, you are doing multiple things that will hinder your fun of the combat:-
  • You're locked to 5 moves per fight (these moves might also be shit for said fight - aka it could be a multi person fight and you have 5 moves that are single target).
  • You will not be using other lesser attacks in between, and these are the ones which allow you to chain moves together.
  • You will probably never find out which moves go together well with each other, as you have just limited your testing down from ~92 to 5.
  • Only using 5 moves is going to get and feel boring.
  • It also makes the fight look cinematically shit, as you're just spamming the same move over and over.
  • It's brainless. The whole idea of training (for the player) in the game is to teach you the button combinations. It's like Yu's way of teaching you (and Ryo) how to do the move (it's actually a pretty cool way of doing it to be honest - drilling it into your head "B, B, A" over and over. Much like how repetition is how you would master the move in real life). Learning all these combinations while you are mastering moves, and then just disregarding that is dumb.
  • It won't be AS fun.
  • It limits your ability (see my comment below).
Aside from the above, I've read so many people say that the fighting has no skill, and that you just level up Ryo until you shit on the next opponent. Yet again, that is a by-product of just using Right Trigger. There are 92 scroll moves in the game and by limiting yourself to 5 per fight, you're going to under perform. You're not chaining, not learning what moves go together well, and you're not able to choose which moves are good for the situation. Just go watch someone on twitch or on Youtube, and they will be using the same 5 moves. It's boring to watch and honestly looks fucking stupid.

Now I know it's not the players fault 100%, as the in-game tutorial for fighting is terrible (I think I will make a email to YsNet about it and include some of this thread), but please next time you play the game, give it a go. Go into the move list, take a look at some of the move animations/descriptions in the bottom right and find what you like. Learn those combinations and try to fight without using Right Trigger. You will have a better experience with the fighting, will be able to beat better opponents, it look's and feels thousands times better, and above all else, IT'S MORE FUN!!!!

Edit:- Just seen some videos from @Dan on the fighting thread, and it's exactly what I am talking about. He makes the fighting look great as he has learnt the moves, the combos and when to chain them together well. It looks so much better than someone just spamming R2.

Here's another video of his with a 5 chain combo, looks amazing!

Try doing that shit with the Right Trigger. So impressed by these videos!

Def eye opening

You should make a Youtube video discussing all this and.....send it to every professional reviewer who reviewed this game lol

It also kinda reminds me of how so many people over the years brushed aside VF because thats a series that many can overlook its depth simply by just spamming punch punch punch kick (I think even Tekken's Harada made a lame Twitter joke about this with Lau when someone asked him about who his favorite VF character is in reference to the idea of putting a Sega rep in T7 as a guest), when there's so much more layered depth to its system (which ultimately turn people off once they face someone who actually knew what they were doing)

Though I will say because of this games limited budget, we dont have proper mocapped moves and proper hit animations and collision animations (hence no throws). I knew there was gonna be a problem the minute I first entered Bailu Village and saw that teen guy Lei performing Wing Chun moves on the Mook Jong wooden dummy but not even making contact with it. I think that was a precursor hint to how this game had to compromise things in that regard due to lack of time and budget.

I think that was probably the best review of the game honestly, really nails down the special things that make the series work without overloading it with bias praise, but also taking the time to bring up things that dont work such as how bad the game's presentation is in cutscene direction.

Show less

{QUOTE}- 4 probably isnt happening, the game sold pathetically with its worst debut in japan including the hd collection, only ranked at 17 in the uk during a week with no other releases before dropping off a cliff the next week. Its sad but this is probably it. One of the guys who funded 3 named cedric said its a 50/50 but if its that up in the sir you can asdume its done

If this isn't you on youtube comment section ( your user name is the same ) you can correct me. I'm calling you out for your typical, negative BS. Hear I am reading a few respectful comments (youtube, easy allies, S3 review ) then yours shows up to squash even a little bit of positivity for everyone. What is your problem? If you've got nothing positive to say then don't say anything at all. Your views on sales have absolutely no weight behind them ( 4 to 6 months is required for AA projects of this size to determine its profit range ), this is not an AAA poduct expected to gain a massive profit in 2 weeks of its release.
Respectfully cut it out or fuck off where someone gives a crap.

You don't have to double tap to dodge. It's a single tap as long as you are not moving. At the same time, I'd also prefer if there was a dedicated dodge button, and on PC there is (it is space bar). When the game comes out on Steam and I go to get all the achievements there, I'll be binding space bar to it's own button for this very purpose.

Also, on hard, you can't just spam the same move as they will block it :D

I don't even bother dodging. I just block, wait for the enemy to attack, then release an attack of my own.

Can't understand anything in this video, but it seems to be getting quite a few views. Assuming it's NEGATIVE.

Back