Tomboz's Shenmue Fan Marketing Video Ideas and Coordination

I've tried to take on as much of the feedback as possible and have reached a point where I think the scripts are ready. I'll be sending them over to Corey Marshall for recording tomorrow morning (JP time, so around 24 hours from now), so if there are any more changes people would like to see made, this is your last chance to let me know. Cheers, Tom.

Right now I’m still waiting on recordings from people. I’ve received some nice ones, but am still some way off the 20 I was hoping to receive. A few people have let me know that they’ll be doing them over the next week or so, but until we have all of the recordings it is difficult to progress much further.
I was just wondering how things went with the recordings. I assumed that some might not have had the time yet or maybe experienced difficulties. And to repeat an earlier comment from tomboz (and my reply to it) : recording the voice in front of an opened closet with some clothes inside can often give better results than the ones from the middle of a normal room. Also, a recording slightly lower in volume isn't a huge issue normally and preferrable to a distorted one.

I was just wondering how things went with the recordings. I assumed that some might not have had the time yet or maybe experienced difficulties. And to repeat an earlier comment from tomboz (and my reply to it) : recording the voice in front of an opened closet with some clothes inside can often give better results than the ones from the middle of a normal room. Also, a recording slightly lower in volume isn't a huge issue normally and preferrable to a distorted one.
From what I’ve received so far, everything sounds alright. Some recordings are a little better than others in terms of background noise, but there didn’t seem to be any clipping in any of the recordings (although there was a mic knock or paper rustle near the beginning of one which is a little jarring). I’ll send them all over to you once I’m back in Tokyo along with Corey’s recordings if you’re still okay/able to work on them for us.

I don´t know if this post is the right post to write that, but I think one of the strongest aspects of Shenmue and that may help to explain one of its greatness is its OST, and I admire those talented persons who are capable to play it from differents ways. I don´t know if this guy is in this forum, but, man, I love what he does.

Last edited:
I don´t know if this post is the right post to write that, but I think one of the strongest aspects of Shenmue and that may help to explain one of its greatness is its OST, and I admire those talented persons who are capable to play it from differents ways. I don´t know if this guy is in this forum, but, man, I love what he does.

In case anyone else is wondering, and possibly holding back when they needn't, could you please elaborate on what it means to "record audio to a decent standard"?
To have an external microphone, to be in a room with no TV playing. I heard mine in my videos later, though I got my points across, so I don't care. But for a trailer like this it's important.

Now that the thread got bumped it got me thinking. Is there an update on how many recordings came in? Did some plans change in the meantime etc.?

Yes, is this still happening? We need another viral moment.

Project Update 3:
Apologies for the radio silence. I’ve been incredibly busy lately getting ready for my wedding at the end of this month and so haven’t had a moment to sit down and update this thread .

After waiting about a month or so for Corey to record his lines for the video, I gave him a little nudge and he told me that as a professional, he didn’t usually record so much without payment (a little annoying as I’d made it clear from my first message to him that the videos would be 5-7 minutes in length, but fair enough). He offered to record a 20-30 second intro to one of the videos and I considered focusing solely on the fan voices video, but as I have only received recordings from four people (again, a huge thanks to those that took the time to do so), it felt like the video would end up doing more harm than good and being a waste of both mine and Corey’s time.

If anybody wants to try and make it work, I’m more than happy to send over the recordings that I have and for you to use any of the scripts that were written, but at this point I don’t think that I’m the best person to be working on the project as I’m unable to do any of the actual editing on my current rig and don’t have much free time to work on it.

Back