Understanding why gamers won't like Shenmue 3

standtrip

Banned
I feel like as Shenmue 3 will release there will be a lot of gamers outside of the hardcore fanbase who will check it out and then voice their opinion of it negatively and that I am already prepared for. It's alright for someone to not like the game but there are many reasons why a person may not like it.

Shenmue 3 will cater to the exact same tastes of the first two, people like us who like the series very much I'm assuming will have almost no complaints but for others they will not like some stuff.
  • The way the game looks graphically
  • The slow pacing of the game
  • The English voice acting
  • The combat
  • The realism
These complaints are very much in line with the 1st two games but I don't know for sure how gamers will criticize it. Since the game in general is a huge modernization of the Shenmue formula it may very well in fact be well recieved but I am almost certain many gamers will not like Shenmue 3 and that's fine. It's always been a niche and polarizing game but also charming enough to be seen as one of the greatest series ever by Yu Suzuki.

Even some people are complaining about Death Stranding because it's not set up as your typical action AAA title but instead taking a unique approach. In general gamers are conditioned to a certain gameplay style and in result all we get are a bunch of the same games over and over. I've been a gamer for awhile now and cool and unique approaches are games that generate my interest. Shenmue is a unique game and it doesn't follow the status quo which is why some gamers will be turned off. You know why Yakuza has non-stop random battles that make no real sense? It's put in place to keep the zombie gamer engaged bc attention span will become bored. It's just the way it is unfortunately.

Even some people are complaining about Death Stranding because it's not set up as your typical action AAA title but instead taking a unique approach. In general gamers are conditioned to a certain gameplay style and in result all we get are a bunch of the same games over and over. I've been a gamer for awhile now and cool and unique approaches are games that generate my interest. Shenmue is a unique game and it doesn't follow the status quo which is why some gamers will be turned off. You know why Yakuza has non-stop random battles that make no real sense? It's put in place to keep the zombie gamer engaged bc attention span will become bored. It's just the way it is unfortunately.

To be fair, Death Strading looks like trash, with no gameplay to speak ok. Unless we're at a point that relieving one's self of bodily waste, and just delivering packages across a barren wasteland, is now considered meaningful gameplay.

Almost none of the story events of Shenmue 3 have been shown in any of the trailers(small fragments, that's it), yet look at all the gameplay we have already seen.

If even a slow paced, story driven game like Shenmue 3 can show off meaningful gameplay without spoiling the story, there's really no excuse.

God damn it, pissing on the ground, which makes a mushroom grow is considered a major gameplay mechanic, what a sad world we live in when crap like that, is considered gameplay

Last edited:
I think the main contribution is mainly the graphics+Timing/Audience conditioning. Like I've always said, RDr2 manage to get away with being a cowboy shenmue in 2018 and sell gangbuster by misdirecting/sleight of handing it with graphical prowess.

People are condition enough now to be ready for Shenmue 3 but the "grafix" is just not up to par for mainstream gamers.

As long as they're streaming it, making let's plays, writing reviews, and generally talking about the game I don't care whether they love it or hate it. Either way you swing it they're just helping to get the game exposure so that the people who would be open this niche have more chances to come across it.

Hell if one of them can find a negative but memeable joke like the sailors jokes from the first game I think it would have a positive effect on sales this time around.

As long as they're streaming it, making let's plays, writing reviews, and generally talking about the game I don't care whether they love it or hate it. Either way you swing it they're just helping to get the game exposure so that the people who would be open this niche have more chances to come across it.

Hell if one of them can find a negative but memeable joke like the sailors jokes from the first game I think it would have a positive effect on sales this time around.

Yea, there were plenty of those types streaming 1, and 2 after the KS was announced. Needless to say it did way more good then bad(well except the funhaus steam, that was such a atrocious stream, no good came out of that one yikes), infact it downright brought people in to the Shenmue community :)

Sometimes, things aren't someone's cup of tea and that's okay.

My friend wants me to get Borderlands 3, but I played 2 and found it's visual style off putting and exceedingly boring to play alone(which I'd oft be doing, as our work schedules vary). A lot of people love it; I cannot get into it.

People have unrealistic expectations when it comes to the visuals here. It was never going to be AAA style visuals.

They expect everything to look as good as FFVII Remake, which I have a very hard time believing is a PS4 title lately. But that's Square, literally MILLIONS of dollars in funding and a vast majority of the entire company devoted to that one project..you simply can't compare the two.

At the end of the day Shenmue III doesn't need to be universally praised and welcomed. Getting its healthy niche of followers would be enough.

And current times seem like the best ones for that to happen, since lots of "off the path" games are quite successful on their own.

It is going be different than any other game. There will never be a game that will be loved by everybody. For some people it will be to slow, not action heavy enough and they are not going to like the setting or the characters. Tastes are different and that is fine.

I've played some disasters in my time and I've played a lot of average and mediocre guff as well.

There's no way Shenmue 3 is going to get criticised anywhere near as much as it's ardent fans are mentally preparing themselves for.

It is going be different than any other game. There will never be a game that will be loved by everybody. For some people it will be to slow, not action heavy enough and they are not going to like the setting or the characters. Tastes are different and that is fine.

I agreed until the character part came up, what heathen wouldn't like Shenhua(Hell even with all the great things in Shenmue 2, the arguably greatest moment(s) in the game, is when you're walking through Guilin forest, and talking to Shenhua, now that's saying a lot), and everyone tends to like Ren as well, nevermind the fact we're no doubt going to meet other great new characters in 3 as well. Damn heatless, and brainless cavemen sigh. I suspect Xuiying will possibly show up as well, yet another character you can not, not like.

Speaking of which, Shenhua is suppose to be even more realistic in this game(think of Shenhua also having Fang mei's parameter system, but a even more evolved, complex version, tied into events going on throughout the game. I'm hearing that there's a rep system with all the people in the villages/cities as well, so if It's tied into that too), I don't know if yu sazuki can pull that off, but it will be truly amazing if he does(if anyone can, it would be him).

Last edited:
I've played some disasters in my time and I've played a lot of average and mediocre guff as well.

There's no way Shenmue 3 is going to get criticised anywhere near as much as it's ardent fans are mentally preparing themselves for.

Hopefully not, but don't be surprised if it does, this is 2019 afterall, they don't make humans like humans, let alone brains like they use to lol

To be fair, Death Strading looks like trash, with no gameplay to speak ok. Unless we're at a point that relieving one's self of bodily waste, and just delivering packages across a barren wasteland, is now considered meaningful gameplay.

Almost none of the story events of Shenmue 3 have been shown in any of the trailers(small fragments, that's it), yet look at all the gameplay we have already seen.

If even a slow paced, story driven game like Shenmue 3 can show off meaningful gameplay without spoiling the story, there's really no excuse.

God damn it, pissing on the ground, which makes a mushroom grow is considered a major gameplay mechanic, what a sad world we live in when crap like that, is considered gameplay
I find that strategizing your routes to climb terrain and gathering materials to build bridges or ladders for other players to be intriguing. Of course combat will be in the game akin to mgs5. They did already show a boss battle as well. I think navigating with survival elements is interesting imo.

To be honest, I dnt think they'll be turned off. Shenmue 1 is the only game which is super slow and ppl who have tried shenmue always get turned off at the same point (looking for Charlie and coming back the next day all the time). Shenmue 2 and 3 you have access to fights and features from the get go. Not to mention the story

I, for one, have sensed a change in the wind. As Michael Scott might say-- "Well, well..how the turntables...".

What I mean is I've seen some particularly harsh critics relent a bit since TGS. There was a French person whose YouTube video mentioned it was no where near the catastrophe that people were saying it was going to be. If I'm not mistaken, he was one of the more potent critics at E3.

I think the most level-headed folks have been Easy Allies.

They remarked on the latest trailer is that they don't expect blown-away visuals, but an adherence to mood and atmosphere, which someone other than Huber feels like they nailed.

I think it'll be fine.

To be honest, I dnt think they'll be turned off. Shenmue 1 is the only game which is super slow and ppl who have tried shenmue always get turned off at the same point (looking for Charlie and coming back the next day all the time). Shenmue 2 and 3 you have access to fights and features from the get go. Not to mention the story

Yea Shenmue 1 is basically a proof of concept demo more then anything, and for the most part, doesn't hold up well at all, still worth playing for the story, but yea. I'm glad I played 1 back when the DC was still in print, as it allowed me to really enjoy the experience at the time, but yea It's very understandable if people are put off by the 1st game.

Lol yea I think we all got stuck looking for Charlie, this was when the game's basically trying to teach you, you got to talk to people more then once, but the problem is, there's no other hints, and that's not enough of a hint, to not get stuck on for awhile. It took me between 2-3h to figure out you had to talk to him multiple times in a row.

I often find that in media, it is better to be hated than ignored (bar trolling and proper hateful comments). If we take music; I find that I appreciate a song I hate more than a song that is boring, because at least the awful song has achieved a reaction out of me. If people are talking about Shenmue, then people will be intrigued.

Of course, i'd prefer it if it was universally acclaimed (and I think a lot of people forget that the original was critically acclaimed at the time), but you can't win them all.

Also (and this is just me), the more people push me to try something or the more people proclaim ITEM X is the greatest thing ever, the more likely i'm going to ignore it.

Shenmue will work on its own merits. People who hate it and feel the need to say they hate it is giving oxygen to the game. If it means that some people who are curious will try it out along the lines of "Why are people saying this game is awful? I need to check it out for myself)", then that's a win-win.

If people give the game a fair shot and they don't like it, then that's all I ask.

I am to old to care about critics anyway to be honest. To me the only thing matters to me is if I like a game or not. As Shenmue Fan I will love S3.

I do not give a damn what some random people in the internet likes. Even when these people arer called journalist.

Literally every game this gen, that was loved the critics, was not my cup of tea. Horizon, Zero Dawn, Red Redemption 2 and God of War or example. Beloved by critics and fanboys and disliked by me. They were masterpieces to them, for me there ware just average open worldish games with the same boring gaming mechanics and with decent graphics.

Days Gone on the other hand, was really great. Not innovative game as well but it had a nice atmosphere and the gameplay was not complex compared to the average open world games. Even the greatest open world hater like myself was not turned of by the crafting system.

I also consider The Order1886 a very good game. The critics said the exact opposite.

So like I said screw the critics.

I can understand that we fans want the game to success and liked by everybody but this game then would not be Shenmue 3.

Back