Updated Chi You Men Leaders Photo

They could still cut regions without cutting the leaders. Iirc, there’s a leader for North, South, West and East. We’ve met two of them, so 2 more regions of China and then the final location of the treasure doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch.

I know Zimming isn’t intended to be one of the leaders, but this isn’t canon as of the moment so he could easily become one for the sake of speeding things up a little (we kind of need to meet him anyway).
I feel like the 4 leaders thing is just going to be underwhelming, because you'll wonder about their infrastructure, like what gangs they control and their own castle, and I doubt the series will have time for that, without it distracting from the momentum of the story. I think other characters like Ziming and Tentie will be easier to introduce because they would have more clear roles, Ziming brings Xiuying back in the story, and could be a partner in Lan Di's side of the war, and Tentie is Sun's next obstacle, but they're just examples.

I feel like the 4 leaders thing is just going to be underwhelming, because you'll wonder about their infrastructure, like what gangs they control and their own castle, and I doubt the series will have time for that, without it distracting from the momentum of the story. I think other characters like Ziming and Tentie will be easier to introduce because they would have more clear roles, Ziming brings Xiuying back in the story, and could be a partner in Lan Di's side of the war, and Tentie is Sun's next obstacle, but they're just examples.
I think we have very different opinions when it comes to how difficult it would be to integrate all of these things into the story, but as the areas which fall under their control and the gangs that populate them will be introduced to the story anyway, I really can’t see Yu opting to cut this plot line completely when so much work has been done behind the scenes to prepare for it. I expect time and budget will lead to it being a little less broad in scope than originally planned, but I’d be pretty surprised if we don’t see the four leaders plot come to fruition (assuming the plan remains to wrap the series with two more games rather than one).

I think we have very different opinions when it comes to how difficult it would be to integrate all of these things into the story, but as the areas which fall under their control and the gangs that populate them will be introduced to the story anyway, I really can’t see Yu opting to cut this plot line completely when so much work has been done behind the scenes to prepare for it. I expect time and budget will lead to it being a little less broad in scope than originally planned, but I’d be pretty surprised if we don’t see the four leaders plot come to fruition (assuming the plan remains to wrap the series with two more games rather than one).
I know technically they can include the 4 leaders, they could show up at a meeting, takes different sides with Lan Di and Sun, but I feel like they will just take a back seat now, instead of being main antagonists for each game. They already have a lot of characters to develop, including Ziming and presumably Xiuying's return. I believe including the other 2 characters would be done just because it's expected and not because it would value the story.

I know technically they can include the 4 leaders, they could show up at a meeting, takes different sides with Lan Di and Sun, but I feel like they will just take a back seat now, instead of being main antagonists for each game. They already have a lot of characters to develop, including Ziming and presumably Xiuying's return. I believe including the other 2 characters would be done just because it's expected and not because it would value the story.
I'd assume their inclusion would be down to their significance to the story. In case you hadn't noticed, the game leans on Chinese mythology quite heavily (dragon and phoenix, the four guardians, etc) and I expect this will continue to play a big role in the Shenmue story.

We've been introduced to the Azure Dragon of the East (Lan Di) and the Vermilion Phoenix of the South (Niao Sun) already meaning that we're still to meet the Black Tortoise of the North and the White Tiger of the West. Interestingly, each is associated with a different season with the Dragon being spring, the Phoenix being summer, the Tiger being Autumn and the Tortoise being winter. As we were introduced to Lan Di and Niao Sun in sequential order (spring -> summer), it stands to reason that we're heading West next (Baisha is in Western China) and will meet the White Tiger there before heading North (Meng Cun just so happens to be in Northern China) to meet the Black Tortoise. Then it's back to central china to find the treasure and square off with Xu Yuanda (Tentei). It doesn't seem like too much to squeeze in to two full games considering the previous 3 games have all had 2 or 3 locations.

That we're going to these locations (Baisha and Meng Cun) seems like a pretty safe bet, so for us not to meet these characters who are written right into the heart of the Shenmue story wouldn't make much sense to me. Yes; some time needs to be spent developing these characters (although that wasn't the case for Niao Sun in Shenmue 3), but how much development are we really talking? We know very little about Lan Di after 3 games and we don't even know Niao Sun's name yet. It's not like it would take much screentime to develop two new characters to the same degree.

Going back to the picture, I think it's fair to suggest that the dude on the right is the Black Tortoise as he is described as having 'wild, unruly black hair' which would mean the guy on the left is the white tiger.

The handsome one with the long hair is Ziming?
Possibly, but I think it’s more likely that they are the four leaders, so unless Yu was lying when he said that Ziming wasn’t one of them, I think it’s probably the northern leader.

Edit: or not. Looking at the two remaining silhouettes, both appear to have hair which would suggest that the bald guy isn’t one of the four leaders.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is the other leader? The monk from the project berkly trailer who you possibly fight in a snowy mountain area

1597760472830.jpg

I thought Ryo was training in that chapter card, but it looks like he may be fighting the Monk leader's henchman

From the kickstarter update chapter card 7

View attachment 8634
Holy shit, Ryo is throwing down with Krillin!

EDIT: I wonder if all the baldies are associated with the bald leader second from the left? Perhaps they are the black suits of that particular leader? The dude Ryo is fighting appears to be one of them (an elite, perhaps?), and they all seem to have those dots on their heads.

Last edited:
Possibly, but I think it’s more likely that they are the four leaders, so unless Yu was lying when he said that Ziming wasn’t one of them, I think it’s probably the northern leader.

Edit: or not. Looking at the two remaining silhouettes, both appear to have hair which would suggest that the bald guy isn’t one of the four leaders.
He passes for Xiuying's brother and maybe too young to be a leader.

EDIT: I wonder if all the baldies are associated with the bald leader second from the left? Perhaps they are the black suits of that particular leader? The dude Ryo is fighting appears to be one of them (an elite, perhaps?), and they all seem to have those dots on their heads.

Looks like Krillin finally grew up and decided to take on adult Gohan.

From the kickstarter update chapter card 7

View attachment 8634
They showed all the chapters cards in high quality? this is awesome. :love: When the documentary will be available to everyone?

In my opinion Shenmue III prepare the characters to big things to come in Shenmue IV, i think a lot of things will happen in Shenmue IV.

Those last two leaders look amazing. :giggle:

Maybe it is Ziming. I think will be really nice if Xiuying appear again, maybe Ziming will fight with her, maybe in the end he will die protecting her or something like that, or maybe Ryo will fight with Ziming.

Xiuying is in the last chapter card. I know a lot of things has changed but i have a feeling that Xiuying will appear again. The story with Xiuying and her brother is one of my favorite parts of Shenmue II.

Looks more like Tien to me and the guy at the bottom reminds me of Napa.

Think you could be right about the guys in white being the underlings.

Yellow heads, red snakes, blue spiders, white... eyes?

Maybe it is Ziming. I think will be really nice if Xiuying appear again, maybe Ziming will fight with her, maybe in the end he will die protecting her or something like that, or maybe Ryo will fight with Ziming.
I have always thought this was how it was going to go down. Maybe even something as extreme as Niao Sun slitting his throat shortly after their reunion to really hammer it home. She is apparently mercilessly cruel, so it would suit her. Cue an insane battle between Xuiying and Big Tiddy Mama Niao Sun.

They showed all the chapters cards in high quality? this is awesome. :love: When the documentary will be available to everyone?

In my opinion Shenmue III prepare the characters to big things to come in Shenmue IV, i think a lot of things will happen in Shenmue IV.

Those last two leaders look amazing. :giggle:

Xiuying is in the last chapter card. I know a lot of things has changed but i have a feeling that Xiuying will appear again. The story with Xiuying and her brother is one of my favorite parts of Shenmue II.
It would make me emotional if Xiuying kills Ziming, Ryo gives him the stone but is betrayed, later he threatens to burn a town or whatever for the CYM, he's too far gone "the path of evil" and Xiuying delivers a fatal blow. She cradles him and he says "You'll stronger than me" and gives her both stones back,Xiuying embraces her light and darkness. I think the series would be about finding peace in the end and not about celebrating violence, but I think that would give her character a new direction if she has to accept what she's done, on the journey.

I know that in the past Yu has stated that neither Baihu nor Zimming were CYM leaders, but it seems a little strange that the Chinese word for White Tiger is Baihu and the ‘human’ name given to the Black Tortoise is Zhi Ming, right?

After @Vivi-gamer comment I noticed the panel but like you said both remaining members have hair. The one on the far left appears in another panel I took a screenshot of so it’s likely he is one of the members but the Monk and his clan are maybe just part of that chapter.

F2F37A5E-CD29-42BD-944A-924E3238CB9B.jpeg

After @Vivi-gamer comment I noticed the panel but like you said both remaining members have hair. The one on the far left appears in another panel I took a screenshot of so it’s likely he is one of the members but the Monk and his clan are maybe just part of that chapter.

View attachment 8638
Looks like a pretty good match to me. Still wouldn’t be surprised if Master Baihu ended up being one of the leaders.

Also, that sure looks like Zhu in the middle there.

Back