Vehicles for Shenmue 4?

Would you like to have vehicles(Such as Bicycles and motor bikes) in Shenmue 4 ?

I personally would like to have them :

1.You can enjoy riding them around.

2.They can add some races or chases mini games for those vehicles. They can even add some challenges that would make it a nice break between the story sections.

3.They can also add customizations to them to make your bike/bicycle the way you want it to be.

4.They can help you save your stamina and help you to reach your destinations sooner than running.

5.Similar to GTA games, they can also add some areas that you can only reach by using those vehicles.Like using a ramp to jump on a roof of a building.

6.Also Yu Suzuki wants to make bigger worlds so it makes sense to add vehicles.

So far we only had forklifts and Ryo's friend's motorbike as vehicles in the whole franchise.(But they were mini games)

I also think that adding vehicles makes the game to attract some people that like playing vehicle games.(Similar to driving fans that get attracted to GTA games since GTA games have driving.)

We were meant to get a bike in Shenmue 1. That is good enough for me. No cars, motorbikes.

We were meant to get a bike in Shenmue 1. That is good enough for me. No cars, motorbikes.
Wow, never heard that one.
How was it going to effect the gameplay ? Was it supposed to be just in some limited sections or it was going to allow you to use it whenever that you want ?

I don’t know. It was in the earliest trailers, though. I’m sure someone here can find a link.

Wow, never heard that one.
How was it going to effect the gameplay ? Was it supposed to be just in some limited sections or it was going to allow you to use it whenever that you want ?

You were meant to be able to ride around Dobuita on it. There are a few screenshots and videos kicking about.

AB828CE6-2E1C-461E-A8BA-3C9EF2F66225.jpeg

I want another section with the bike. Also it would be nice to finally have the bicycle.

More than everything I'd like to see the train, like in project berkley.

I want another section with the bike. Also it would be nice to finally have the bicycle.

More than everything I'd like to see the train, like in project berkley.

The train has so much potential to be amazing. I could be wrong but think I remember reading an interview where Yu mentions the train and how it could still be implemented into Shenmue. I’ll need to dig to see if I’m totally full of it though.

I wouldn't mind a bicycle, as I think it could make sense in the context of the series, however I don't think it would be included as it would make the maps even easier to traverse quickly from one end to the other. In Shenmue 3 they had to put tables, gates and no running signs up to slow us down while making our way from one end of Niaowu to the other, so I can't see them giving us a means to traverse more quickly.

Aside from the fact that Ryo can't afford a car for sure, and would definitely not drive a stolen one, and probably can't afford a scooter, I would love to hear people complain on the internet about the fact that they would have to gas up the scooter twice a day, pay for the gas, and then mix it with oil in order to run the 2 stroke engine otherwise it spews smoke and breaks down and needs repairs at Delin's other brother's motorcycle repair shop.

In Shenmue 3 they had to put tables, gates and no running signs up to slow us down while making our way from one end of Niaowu to the other, so I can't see them giving us a means to traverse more quickly.

I thought the enforced walking was put in places where performance would struggle were Ryo to run through (Huge frame rate drops etc). That's the main reason I think those are there, not to slow down the player's travel from one end of the map to the other. It doesn't really delay Ryo enough for it to be the reason.

I thought the enforced walking was put in places where performance would struggle were Ryo to run through (Huge frame rate drops etc). That's the main reason I think those are there, not to slow down the player's travel from one end of the map to the other. It doesn't really delay Ryo enough for it to be the reason.

In some instances this may be the case, or they were concealing some kind of background loading, but then we have the case of the Rose Garden where there is no running down a really long hallway for no apparent reason. Also, there were physical barriers put up at times where you can literally go to each side of the giant door, or that gate next to the fishing pier but not open it from either side-so it wasn't blocking an area that we aren't supposed to visit yet(like the carts on the paths in Bailu), but rather the door and gates were forcing us to take the long way.

I'm not complaining, but I do think that this is a reason why they wouldn't give us a vehicle in Shenmue IV.

I'm not complaining, but I do think that this is a reason why they wouldn't give us a vehicle in Shenmue IV.

No, i didn’t take it as complaining at all. And you’re most likely right in that making the map seem smaller is a good reason not to have vehicles. Having said that, the videos of the bike I’ve seen in Dobuita didn’t really show it going faster than when Ryo runs. So there is that lol.

Here you go. I dug these out of What's Shenmue but there are remnants of the animations in the Shenmue I & II code too I think.

Those animations look really great. Especially the mounting/dismounting. Never seen them before.

Those animations look really great. Especially the mounting/dismounting. Never seen them before.

Really cool. I really wish they would have left it in. It just shows how far ahead the game creators were at AM2. It's interesting that there were other people on bikes and motorcycles, to.

I on dear if they removed it because it slowed the frame rate down, or made getting from one place to another to fast, or a combination of both?

Maybe they removed it because they didn't want you to ride your bike all the way to the harbor everyday, and didn't want you to leave it at the bus stop...

I personally think they shouldn't included Vehicles, because the more easier it is to travel faster the more land mass they have to create to cater for this and that is what will lead to a typical Open-World experience. Where with Shenmue, I feel the idea is to provide scope rather than scale. So plenty of design put into an interactive city as opposed to a massive empty landscape.

I'm not opposed to an action segment similar to the motorbike sequence in Shenmue I, but I don't think it something that should be integrated as mechanic to travel. I wouldn't be opposed to something like GTA 3 & San Andreas did with their train/ monorail system. In which you can enter and then get a scenic view of the area - or press X to skip to the next stop. That would be a very pleasant way to integrate a Quick-Travel method rather than just leaving home-base and getting a menu prompt.

Back