Virtua Fighter Series

The character designs began to 'jump the shark' with Virtua Fighter 4 and on.. Don't get me wrong, IMHO Virtua Fighter is hands down the greatest fighting series of all time, and to me - the pinnacle was Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle. VF1, VF2 and VF3 were all legendary and stand on their own feet. I play each of them for different reasons.

Virtua Fighter 4 felt like it was geared more toward a "home console port" like the other popular fighters of the day. Which was fantastic in some aspects (training), but the addition of other things, like special effects - felt like a cop out for the series. I was seriously let down by VF4 and VF5's additional characters.

This may or may not have to do with Yu's limited input on the later games. I would love to see Yu helm Virtua Fighter 6 using VF3tb characters and do what the series was known best for - the cutting edge of graphics that has no equal in any other format.

They had a VF3 machine on display in the Smithsonian. That is how advanced it was for its day. I would love to see VF6 done in the same vein.

Virtua Fighter 4 definitely felt a lot 'darker' than the rest of the series, which I don't mind too much. I like that it has it's own identity, as do all the VF games. I think Lei, Vanessa, Brad and Goh are good additions to the cast too.

VF3 was definitely the most experimental of the games, and they pulled that back a bit for VF4 to make it more competitive friendly and balanced too I think.

VF3 was my favourite game for years, I remember watching it on a Megalo 2 cabinet around 96/97 and my brain exploded, character breathing, water splashing, I thought that that was best graphics a videogame could ever had. I was pretty dissapointed with the DC port, because the beach scenario was at night instead of day, and that was my favourite stage. That said I understan the move back to VF2 from VF4 to VF5FS. It is my favourite fighting franchise and it is the reason I ended falling in love with Shenmue back in the day.

I hope VF6 will be a launching title on the PS5, it is my only hope. Also, it is the kind of game I could buy a console to play a game alone, I did that with Xbox 360, I bought my VF5 copy like 2 years before the console

I know what you mean, VF3 was absolutely mind-blowing! I've never seen a game break my expectations of graphical abilities like VF3 did, apart from Shenmue of course :)
ALSO, did you know you can get the original stages on the Dreamcast version by holding Start when you select a stage in VS mode?

Back