Were you happier with no Shenmue III? Or do you prefer living in a post-Shenmue III world?

This is the crux of it. The single biggest mistake Shenmue 3 made was the inclusion of the stamina system. Thankfully it's also an easy mistake to remedy.
If they tied it to a stamina bar (seperate) that impacted your moves/power that could work.

Or they could take it out if that was too much of a pain.

I think the levelling of moves was ok in itself as it did impact attack power. I think (while I see the clamour for it to be like the old system) it will likely stay similar to what it is. Maybe they could present it like the older games? But for me sparring with a monk worked nicely as that's generally what you do in martial arts, you train with a person. Maybe they could have both? Train alone on moves and then with a partner and you choose?

Blame wikipedia lol

Shenmue III, developed by Suzuki's company Ys Net, was released in 2019 for PlayStation 4 and Windows. The Shenmue games consist of open-world 3D environments interspersed with brawler battles and quick time events.

How is open world specifically defined these days? Isn't Mario 64 technically "open world"... I mean you can go wherever you want to do and do whatever you want to do?

If they tied it to a stamina bar (seperate) that impacted your moves/power that could work.

I think the levelling of moves was ok in itself as it did impact attack power. I think (while I see the clamour for it to be like the old system) it will likely stay similar to what it is. Maybe they could present it like the older games? But for me sparring with a monk worked nicely as that's generally what you do in martial arts, you train with a person. Maybe they could have both? Train alone on moves and then with a partner and you choose?
They should create a Hunger system similar to the one in Kingdom Come Deliverance wich gives Buffs and Debuffs.

This would imply having a Health bar and a Stamina bar.

During the day Ryo would have to eat and drink and sleep to keep himself satiated, hidrated and rested.
If Ryo didn't eat is stamina would deplete faster, he would loose health faster and he would cause less damage.
(Debuffs to Stamina / Health / Damage)
If Ryo doesn't drink he would run slower and his moves would also become slower and QTE's would become faster to reduce players chance of success.
(Debuff Speed)
If Ryo doesn't rest, his health and stamina won't regenerate.
(Debuffs all Stats (Health / Stamina / Speed / Damage)

The type of foods or drinks could also influence Ryo's stats:
Healthy Foods = Replenish Hunger slower, but gives more Buffs.
Unhealthy Foods = Replenish Hunger faster, but gives more Debuffs.
Healthy Drinks = Replenish Thirst slower, but gives more Buffs.
Unhealthy Drinks = Replenish Thirst faster, but gives more Debuffs.

If they wanted to add even more realism and more RPG mechanics they could also add injuries.
If Ryo takes a lot of damage he would get injuries and in order to cure them he would have to use bandages, medicine, rest or even go to the doctor. (Injuries would also influence Ryo's stats)

(Ryo's eating habits could also influence his chances of getting injured. Healthy eating habbits reduce chances of Ryo getting injured and Unhealthy eating habbits increase chances of Ryo getting injured).

This system would probably be a lot of work but at the same time would be much more realistic and would make the gameplay much more immersive and dinamic, but I'm also affraid that it would make Shemue loose its arcade feeling associated with Sega and Yu Suzuki.

They should create a Hunger system similar to the one in Kingdom Come Deliverance wich gives Buffs and Debuffs.

This would imply having a Health bar and a Stamina bar.

During the day Ryo would have to eat and drink and sleep to keep himself satiated, hidrated and rested.
If Ryo didn't eat is stamina would deplete faster, he would loose health faster and he would cause less damage.
(Debuffs to Stamina / Health / Damage)
If Ryo doesn't drink he would run slower and his moves would also become slower and QTE's would become faster to reduce players chance of success.
(Debuff Speed)
If Ryo doesn't rest, his health and stamina won't regenerate.
(Debuffs all Stats (Health / Stamina / Speed / Damage)

The type of foods or drinks could also influence Ryo's stats:
Healthy Foods = Replenish Hunger slower, but gives more Buffs.
Unhealthy Foods = Replenish Hunger faster, but gives more Debuffs.
Healthy Drinks = Replenish Thirst slower, but gives more Buffs.
Unhealthy Drinks = Replenish Thirst faster, but gives more Debuffs.

If they wanted to add even more realism and more RPG mechanics they could also add injuries.
If Ryo takes a lot of damage he would get injuries and in order to cure them he would have to use bandages, medicine, rest or even go to the doctor. (Injuries would also influence Ryo's stats)

(Ryo's eating habits could also influence his chances of getting injured. Healthy eating habbits reduce chances of Ryo getting injured and Unhealthy eating habbits increase chances of Ryo getting injured).

This system would probably be a lot of work but at the same time would be much more realistic and would make the gameplay much more immersive and dinamic, but I'm also affraid that it would make Shemue loose its arcade feeling associated with Sega and Yu Suzuki.
I like the sound of that system but also at the same time agree with you that it might impact the overall feel of the game. That said even if they did it on a basic level, have a health and stamina bar and food maintains the stamina, which in turn impacts Ryo's attack and defense that could be good. If running was tied to it, have it deplete less quickly than in Shenmue III.

I am definitely happier living with Shenmue 3, now that the whole development hell is over and the fact that the fanbase is so strong and determined to finish the story. To be honest, I came across the Shenmue franchise several years ago, while browsing through some JRPG titles that are worth playing. One such franchise was of course the Yakuza one, but Shenmue caught my eye as its predecessor and I fell in love with both of them. However I did not have any funding available until last year when I started my work.

f they tied it to a stamina bar (seperate) that impacted your moves/power that could work.

There have been a lot of good ideas on how to improve the stamina system I've seen on the forum. TBH almost anything they do could improve it. For me though I'd rather they just remove it and return to something like the older system or keep it simple that eating food replenishes your health but that it doesn't drain during exploration if they want to keep the food system.

Either way I think the way it was implemented runs contrary to Shenmue so I'd like to see some improvement in S4 but I'm positive there will be one.

I liked chopping wood, etc., but the mini games would've benefited from a little variety. For example, difficulty spikes, different wood chopping patterns, harder targets to hit during training. I know all of this stuff was probably considered during development and didn't make it because of resources, so I hope if we have to keep 'training' or doing little chores, they consider throwing a little variety into the more repetitive elements.

I think the stamina is an objective flop. 9/10 people I encounter hate it. Nothing wrong with stamina, but they need to figure out a way to make it more satisfying and less of an obstacle if it's to stay. Def. stop tying it to your health and find a more realistic way to gain energy than eating bulbs of garlic.

Easy fix for stamina system IMO:

Health never decreases through exploration/normal gameplay.

Lose a fight? Back to the world with 30% health. Recover by eating.
Any job, or training involving physical labour drains health by 10% each time. Below 30%, you can't partake. Stops spamming of activities and feels realistic. You do a work out or spar with a guy and you're going to want to eat afterwards.

Make the food realistic. Nobody wants to eat 30 carrots or 10 onions. A steamed bun should recover 40% of HP, a chicken dinner 100%. Apples and the like? 15% a pop.

I think the stamina is an objective flop. 9/10 people I encounter hate it. Nothing wrong with stamina, but they need to figure out a way to make it more satisfying and less of an obstacle if it's to stay. Def. stop tying it to your health and find a more realistic way to gain energy than eating bulbs of garlic.

Thing is, I got on with it just fine. After so long or - if I was too preoccupied with something - was prompted, I'd remember to eat. Back in the original Shenmue, I would get myself into a routine, e.g. go to work at the harbour, come home via Dobuita and grab some fish and milk and take it to the cat before arriving home to sleep. This was no different to having a routine in 3. I'd just remember to do it. I can see why it'd be a nuisance for some, but for me it's just one of those little Shenmue charms. It never got in the way or anything. Walking or running around does burn energy, so it's not out of place for Ryo to feel fatigued after so long lol. Shame they didn't have energy drink machines in Bailu (energy drinks first originated in 1949, before anyone says anything) :p

Make the food realistic. Nobody wants to eat 30 carrots or 10 onions. A steamed bun should recover 40% of HP, a chicken dinner 100%. Apples and the like? 15% a pop.
You know what really steams my buns? The fact that there is no eating animation for Ryo. I played some Red Dead Redemption 2 and there is actually animation when you eat.

You know what really steams my buns? The fact that there is no eating animation for Ryo. I played some Red Dead Redemption 2 and there is actually animation when you eat.
That would be great and if Shenmue 3 had the Budget of RDR2 it would have been even greater. 🤣

If they animate Ryo's eating, I would like to see a system where you get random special effects for a day according the meal you chose. For instance, rabbit meat has 20% chance to give you fireball. Eating ramen 50% chance to give you invisibility power.

It has to be random to create some expectation at the end of the little cutscene. The better the effect is, the better it means the cook performed well and Ryo shows his gratitude.

And use the Chawan sign music.

If they animate Ryo's eating, I would like to see a system where you get random special effects for a day according the meal you chose. For instance, rabbit meat has 20% chance to give you fireball. Eating ramen 50% chance to give you invisibility power.

It has to be random to create some expectation at the end of the little cutscene. The better the effect is, the better it means the cook performed well and Ryo shows his gratitude.

And use the Chawan sign music.

You could also have a bowel and bladder meter that fills up when Ryo eats and if you don't go to Shenhua's outhouse in time (or jump into a pond in Bailu) Ryo soils himself.

Last edited:
You could also have a bowl and bladder meter that fills up when Ryo eats and if you don't go to Shenhua's outhouse in time (or jump into a pond in Bailu) Ryo soils himself.
🤣

Definitely happier that SIII exists, and I think those that say otherwise are lying to themselves.

I would be lying to myself if I say I'm happier that SIII exists since SIII doesn't exist to me. I would like to love the game but I can't fight with my own emotions. In my brain, the one I got was more a spin off or a super fan game. Reading the name "Shenmue 3" written on the cover is hard to accept so I would prefer it not to exist frankly speaking.

Being very honest, it's like my mind had to wait 25 consecutive years to get a new Shenmue. I'm living in a world where Shenmue 3 has been delayed and renamed Shenmue 4. That may sound harsh but that's what I feel now, not what I prefer. At the point I secretly dream of a Shenmue 3 remake someday, made by real Yu's vision.

Doesn't mean I dislike the game though. Actually I'm even replaying it because I was missing it. S3 is a pleasurable experience where living in a peaceful little world makes you feel good. But S1 & S2 were enthralling and touched the sky. S3 killed my passion at too many occasions. Too much flaws for too few qualities.

When you're experiencing such repetition or side quests with so little elegance, my brain struggles to think "it's a Shenmue game". Objectively, it is. It has slow pace, believable inhabitants, the official lore, the calendar, the basic mechanics, etc. But I think Shenmue is a little more than throwing formal ingredients in the same pot.

Last edited:
I didn't enjoy the majority of my playthrough of Shenmue 3. However, when I completed the game, the ending brought back a lot of the feelings I had for the previous two games. It finally showed me that this was a Shenmue game and it got back on track. But that was the ending.

After completing, I did want more Shenmue. I had about a week where I was back in the Shenmue spirit and ready to go. I thought maybe I'd replay it again some time soon, even. I thought maybe I'd played it wrong or something. which now is a silly thought to have.

But after that week, it slowly came back to me how much I loathed my time with the actual game itself. Sometime in Niaowou I just stopped playing for like 2 weeks because I didn't like it at all, and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to bring myself to finish it. I never thought I could be so bored and disengaged with a Shenmue game that I didn't even want to finish it, but it happened.

For the vast majority of games I play, I either like them or I don't like them and then I move on. For Shenmue 3, I'm still mulling over in my head how I feel about it and what it means to me as a Shenmue fan.

From my computer I can turn my head to the right and see my 2 copies of Shenmue 3 Limited Run Games editions on display. One opened, one sealed. I can see my 2 copies of S3 Kickstarter Editions. They sit among my copy of Shenmue 1 DC, Shenmue 2 XBOX, my 2 copes of Shenmue HD Japanese Limited Editions and my regular copy of PS4 Shenmue HD. All in total there's 3 games, and I own 10 copies across 4 systems. When I look at the different copies of Shenmue 1 and 2, I cherrish them. I could literally hug them. I can look at them in awe. They make me feel happy. But when I look at my Shenmue 3 games on display, I feel regret. I regret I own the game 4 times. I regret I spent $800 on a kickstarter of a game I didn't enjoy at all. I regret I spent $250 on the Limited Run Games copies. I regret I've spent over $1000 on a game I wouldn't even recommend to anyone.

Yeah, I regret it. Shenmue 3 isn't the worst game I've played. I've certainly played lots of really bad games. But it is, without question, the most disappointing game I've ever played. And I think it's the only game I've ever played that tainted a series I otherwise dearly cared about.

I'll probably bump this topic again sometime in the future as I try to grasp exactly how I want to express how I feel about it. It's not easy.

Back