Were you happier with no Shenmue III? Or do you prefer living in a post-Shenmue III world?

I dont know what you guys looking for I love Shenmue more after finish S3 It is Shenmue game nothing come close to it no game like Shenmue it take a time for walking talking no Giant arrow no Icon on the head of NPC Shenmue 3 not making by mainstream gaming formula story not like action movie It like something you can see in real live Ryo is a common person he not Sherlock Holmes when he want to know something he have to ask people You only know what he know He dont interest in treasure He only go where Lan Di go Some people complain about eating training but in NG+ when you get rich and level max gameplay will more like S1-2 you will have nothing to do for kill time Yes it not perfect but It still GOOD I only want to fight Chai and 3 Lan Di bodyguards in final Starge and " I love to walking in Niaowu hotel every night "

I dont know what you guys looking for I love Shenmue more after finish S3 It is Shenmue game nothing come close to it no game like Shenmue it take a time for walking talking no Giant arrow no Icon on the head of NPC Shenmue 3 not making by mainstream gaming formula story not like action movie It like something you can see in real live Ryo is a common person he not Sherlock Holmes when he want to know something he have to ask people You only know what he know He dont interest in treasure He only go where Lan Di go Some people complain about eating training but in NG+ when you get rich and level max gameplay will more like S1-2 you will have nothing to do for kill time Yes it not perfect but It still GOOD I only want to fight Chai and 3 Lan Di bodyguards in final Starge and " I love to walking in Niaowu hotel every night "

Even with all it's faults, Shenmue is still one of a kind and tackles humanism from a very unique perspective. It's still unmatched in many other regards as well.

Shenmue III is the weakest entry in the series in my opinion. The game has too many faults for which I am not afraid to criticize. However that does not change the fact that I am grateful this game exists. A game that would not exist if it were not for the fans' undying love for the series. And when you put everything into context, I would rather live in a post Shenmue III world than without.

If nothing else, we can have satisfaction in our victory. That our love for this series has been vindicated. Also we still have two timeless classics to fall back upon. I once made the mistake of giving up on this series. Till the day I die or Suzuki dies, I will never give up on this franchise again.

Last edited:
Happy. I like the game a lot, it has it flaws, but at the end of the day I have been waiting a sequel for more than a decade, and just the E3 2015 alone is magical enought to make me happy about the game existence even if it is not perfect.

It’s no secret that I love S3 despite its perceived flaws. That feeling I got when I was first walking around Bailu as Ryo was something I thought I would never feel again after S1 & 2 nigh 20 years ago. truthfully, S3 exceeded all my expectations as I never, ever thought Yu was going to be able to accomplish what he did with the resources he ultimately had. I was always careful to keep expectations in check seeing as it was a crowdfunded game.

So no question for me. Living in a post S3 world is the only choice personally speaking. It also brings us that step closer to IV etc, which years ago would have been unimaginable.

Can’t seem to remember how to delete this double post. On iOS safari. I’ve done it before on desktop but can’t find the option here.

Last edited:
Interesting question.

If Shenmue 3 ends up being the last game in the series, part of me feels that it would have been better for the series to have ended on the unparalleled highs of Shenmue 2.

If we see a 4th game with a better story and more intuitive writing, Shenmue 3 will have been worth it to kickstart the series.

It’s not that I didn’t enjoy Shenmue 3, but with the minimal story progression we were given, it feels as though we are in almost the same position now as we were two decades ago; only this time, instead of the series consisting of two amazing games that were years ahead of their time, it’s now two amazing games and one that, for most at least, was a little disappointing in spite of it having some positives.

I , for one am glad there's a Shenmue III, because I kicked in to the Kickstarter and got my name in the credits. This thread is just going to start the same counterproductive arguments we've seen 100 times already. I think even the people who are against Shenmue III are just in an unhealthy abusive relationship with it. They love Shenmue III but they just want to smack it around every now and then.

Last edited:
My takeaway from this section is somebody likes cocaine in their cake icing and somebody has godlike willpower to stop drinking soda. Jk.

I see the term "fanservice" being tossed around here like its a dirty word. Fanservice doesnt always have to have a negative connotation. Avengers Endgame was an example of fanservice done right. Cap picking up Thor's hammer was totally fanservice, and its possibly the best cinematic moment in the last 10 years.

Personally I only find fanservice to be a negative when it seems like the story is being written by the fans. In Naruto it was an online forum theory that Tobi was Obito.
A stupid fan theory at that ,which made no sense. Then Masamoto manipulated the storyline to shoehorn that idiotic theory into the actual plot, and it destroyed the manga/anime for me. I totally tuned out. Rick and Michonne hooking up in the Walking Dead after years of fan request for that, ruins the show for me. We know damn well that isnt the case with Shenmue III. Yu Suzuki does what he wants, and you are either on board with it or not.

It seems like jealousy to decry the mild cameos that appeared in Shenmue III as fanservice. Some of us have played Shenmue for over twenty years , and seeing this series return means a lot. When I saw Ren's appearance in Shenmue III, I almost jumped out of my seat, because I'm invested in the character and he's an all time favorite. For late adopters, Ren is just some dude from Shenmue 2 who's name you can't remember. Its hard to understand for someone who just bought the PS4 Shenmue remasters last year. Shenmue is a series that has a long tail. I feel like Shenmue III will get its cult status maybe ten years from now.

As for the question, happy/sad about Shenmue III's existence? Look, don't take all the complaints, soapbox preaching seriously. Gamer angst is a thing as old as teenage rebellion. I know a lot of gamers who rag on Destiny , Destiny 2 and Bungie constantly, but log on every single day and have 5X hours played than I do, and Ive been on 1500 hours . Its just an in thing for gamers to be angsty and bemoan games, especially second life games like Destiny or Shenmue .

Last edited:
My takeaway from this section is somebody likes cocaine in their cake icing and somebody has godlike willpower to stop drinking soda. Jk.

I see the term "fanservice" being tossed around here like its a dirty word. Fanservice doesnt always have to have a negative connotation. Avengers Endgame was an example of fanservice done right. Cap picking up Thor's hammer was totally fanservice, and its possibly the best cinematic moment in the last 10 years.

Personally I only find fanservice to be a negative when it seems like the story is being written by the fans. In Naruto it was an online forum theory that Tobi was Obito.
A stupid fan theory at that ,which made no sense. Then Masamoto manipulated the storyline to shoehorn that idiotic theory into the actual plot, and it destroyed the manga/anime for me. I totally tuned out. Rick and Michonne hooking up in the Walking Dead after years of fan request for that, ruins the show for me. We know damn well that isnt the case with Shenmue III. Yu Suzuki does what he wants, and you are either on board with it or not.

It seems like jealousy to decry the mild cameos that appeared in Shenmue III as fanservice. Some of us have played Shenmue for over twenty years , and seeing this series return means a lot. When I saw Ren's appearance in Shenmue III, I almost jumped out of my seat, because I'm invested in the character and he's an all time favorite. For late adopters, Ren is just some dude from Shenmue 2 who's name you can't remember. Its hard to understand for someone who just bought the PS4 Shenmue remasters last year. Shenmue is a series that has a long tail. I feel like Shenmue III will get its cult status maybe ten years from now.

As for the question, happy/sad about Shenmue III's existence? Look, don't take all the complaints, soapbox preaching seriously. Gamer angst is a thing as old as teenage rebellion. I know a lot of gamers who rag on Destiny , Destiny 2 and Bungie constantly, but log on every single day and have 5X hours played than I do, and Ive been on 1500 hours . Its just an in thing for gamers to be angsty and bemoan games, especially second life games like Destiny or Shenmue .

It's funny how in the same post, you manage to complain about two other IPs, where creators do what they want, and claimed "it ruined it for me" and yet go all like "Well for Shenmue III, it's perfect ! People complaining knows nothing !"
Truth to be told: We know it's the case for Shenmue III too. We know that Baisha was supposed to be the main thing in Shenmue III. We know that it was supposed to be a different game. And we know that Yu Suzuki had to revise his copy to bring more older elements.

Double standards here though.

Glad that exists.

I expected to be a completely broken mess being a kickstarter and my policy of expect the worst so you do not get disappointed and it ended being rough on the edges but fully playable and, in my case, without any bug.

I still believe the game had 2 major issues from my perspective
  1. the plot/narrative presentation, I still believe that Niaowu is usless, and everything that happened there could have happened in Bailu.
  2. That this shenmue felt a bit more RPGish hub world than city/town simulation.
I enjoyed for what it was and I see it kinda like a "tech demo"/"framework" that can be improved from this base similar to what happened with the Assassin creed.

I appreciate your devotion to this series and game, but I think you're sort of being unfair to claim anyone who dislikes this game or certain elements of the game has an agenda. I didn't particularly love it despite being very engaged in this community and being a pretty high-tier backer (my photo's in the game and my name's in the guest book). It is what it is. I went into it hoping to love it and didn't. I'm still looking forward to what's next. I don't think it does the series any favors to attack people for not liking the game. The people who're spending years of their life complaining on Kickstarter are another story.

Ren is one of the best characters in Shenmue franchise if not the best....and he was there before Jack Sparrow came into the business! I think his new Japanese voice did a good job although nothing tops the original.

But I was so disappointed by his introduction.

All the symbolic meeting were underwhelming: Chai, Ren, Shenhua meeting Ren (and on a more metaphorical side, Ryo and his father)

So straight forward and anti-emotional if not dumb. And the budget can not be an excuse this time.

I was only pleased with Lan Di's one although I understand the critics about his lines (and English voice).

Last edited:
I used to see S3 as the one that got away.
And then I banged her and there's that.
For me is a lot better to have S3 to always roam in my mind how it would be.
It's getting closure.
Of course I'll play S4 if it comes, but I don't hold the same feelings of a theoretical S4 than the ones I held for S3.

I can see both sides of the argument for and against. Personally, I am glad to be in a post-Shenmue 3 world. I loved everything graphically and atmospherically but the biggest disappointment that was inexcusable was the lack of storyline progression being sacrificed on the altar of mini-game garbage(which was the worst parts of S1 & S2 as well). While I'm not as optimistic about Shenmue 4 wrapping up or at least progressing the series reasonably, I am still looking forward to it and happy that Shenmue 3 exists, flaws and all. Especially since it's the game that brought me back into video gaming after 12-13 years away from it, and after unfortunately visiting much of the games I had 'missed out' on in my time away ranging between 2005-ish and 2019 I realize yet again why the energy of Shenmue and the story is so important to me and why I left behind video gaming in the first place. I wish games were as full of soul and beauty as the Shenmue games are, the third one included.

I wish games were as full of soul and beauty as the Shenmue games are, the third one included.
Shenmue series were the culmination of the golden age of creativity in gaming. Once Sega fell from grace, Ninty became retrogressive and now just tinker with outdated tech instead of leading the charge like they once used to do as Sega's rival in the console war. AAA became hyper-profit driven and the suits wants just their cookie cutter only games to milk as long as possible. Stagnation settle in as a result. Moba took over a large share of the gaming space and many visionaries either passed away or put out to pasture & retired without any tutelage to carry on the spirit of progress.

I think 3D era's reached it's peak and is now in decline. We need a trailblazer to open a new floodgate. VR and modern motion tech is the new unknown waters waiting to be chartered.

A pre- 'mue III world was filled with doubt, questions, theories and speculation that drove many of us up the wall (in both a good way and a bad way).

A post-'mue III world is now only filled with questions, a few theories and significantly less speculation; while the game itself didn't satiate all of us fully (did perfectly alright for my tastes), we know the future is bright if we get a 4th game, as we will ALL be satiated and thensome.

'mue IV will be a phenomenal title in the ways Shenmue is supposed to be, I have no doubt in my mind...

... But we have to get the game first and I have no doubt in my mind that we will :)

Back