What are you playing?

That sounds like a really good game! I will defenetly play it in the future. I try to avoid spoilers but the clips I've seen were graphically very impressive. I don't have a 4K TV. I'm from the 80's anyways so 1080p is still more than good enough for me. But I see your point. They release too many good games these days. I don't know what to start with. We all have limited time.
So when it comes to these larger world games I'm more picky. But it sounds very promising.

Horizon never felt boring to me but maybe a bit too long? I really took my time to play it and I also played the DLC-part. The battle-system is so satisfying by it self. Nearly perfect. Maybe some people don't like picking up objects, organizing them and so forth. Which is understandable. But the battles, the machines and the environments were (to me) amazing and everything felt so big. I think you will like it.
Just imagine what the sequel will look and feel like. Just wow.

I finished Horizon Zero Dawn/Frozen Wilds today, well sort of. It was a bit tedious but I played the entire main story until 2 missions before the end and couldn't sit through anymore of the gameplay so I ended up going to YouTube to watch the last 30 minutes or so of the game. I tried playing through Frozen Wilds as well and halfway through the first mission I ended up doing the same. My feelings are conflicted on Horizon and while it's still better than most of the video games I've played in the last 20 years, it just didn't do it for me. I was very open to loving this game but only came out liking it. It does most things well enough but nothing really great imo.

Aloy. While she wasn't as amazing as presented in the build up, she was a likeable character and I admire her passion and curiosity, it's the main thing that kept me picking up the controller every time I'd consider putting it down for good. 8/10

INDIFFERENCES:

The landscape. It's pretty and diverse and if you ever been in real life it's clearly Utah inspired(ontop of the UT references in the game)but it just didn't do it for me for some reason, I have no desire to go back and explore it after finishing the game. 7.5/10

Rost. He was interesting the first few minutes but the connection never seems to come to fruition between him and Aloy. 6/10

Sylens. The only other interesting character in the game next to Aloy, until you find out his motives and then it's kindve flat. 6.5/10

The story. While it had some really enjoyable moments and great dialogue along with thoughtful creativity, more often than not it was uninteresting and poorly executed and I cant help but feel it could've been written a lot better. Often times just as I was about to put the controller down for good it would give me a bread crumb of "oh wow! What's next??" it overall never stayed interesting most of the time and even in its conclusion it felt somewhat flat. 6.5/10

DISLIKES:

THE GAMEPLAY!! Worst part of the game and nearly ruined it if it weren't for Aloys character and the bread crumbs of story development. The tedious tasks of exploring the landscape overrun by machines with a horrible combat system that feels outdated and the physics are very much off. Combat doesn't fit the game style. 5/10

The robots. I didn't warm up to the robots at all, maybe cause it was 7 hours before I knew why they existed and why we were killing them? I never had a sense of wanting to fight them from a story line perspective, and the combat system made the play unbearable that I'd avoid them at all costs. It wasn't too hard or too easy, just not fun to engage combat. 5.5/10

The human bad guys. Lame lame lame. I expected to enjoy combat with the humans more and it was even less satisfying than the robots. 3/10

All of the other side characters outside of Sylens and Rost. Boring and dislikable. 4.5/10

Inconclusion, I wanted to love Horizon Zero Dawn and I thought that I would at least enjoy it in a 'video game kind of way' which means it doesn't have to strike me on a spiritual level or something super relatable/deep though I was expecting and hoping for that, I would've been ok with just something enjoyable, well written and basic fun but I couldn't wait to put the controller down on this one. Again, I wouldn't say it was bad, but there was enough bad things to take it from being great to just 'good enough..barely above 'above average'. I'd give Horizon Zero Dawn 7/10 overall leaning towards a 6.5 more so. In retrospect, I would have preferred to watch a 3 hour cutscene movie on YouTube of this game. As for the sequel I probably will watch it on YouTube, at best. This disappointment has nothing to do with other people's hype as I tend to not pay attention to others opinions unless I know their mind/interests/beliefs nor was it from coming off of the amazing Ghost of Tsushima. My feelings are based on my experience alone with Horizon.

Speaking of Ghost of Tsushima..time to get back to completing the side stuff :)

Last edited:
I'm playing it and I just love the stealth so I like the gameplay so far.

The world it's pretty too. Maybe the main story it's kinda meh, but it's not my goal. I know open world games stories are kinda the same generic revenge stuff. Idem sidequest, are kinda Ubisoft-ish but again, I'm enjoying it the gameplay and the world.

I didnt play GoT but sounds like a HZD game

I'm playing it and I just love the stealth so I like the gameplay so far.

The world it's pretty too. Maybe the main story it's kinda meh, but it's not my goal. I know open world games stories are kinda the same generic revenge stuff. Idem sidequest, are kinda Ubisoft-ish but again, I'm enjoying it the gameplay and the world.

I didnt play GoT but sounds like a HZD game
You're playing Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon Zero Dawn?? Ghost of Tsushima is a once in 20 years gaming experience. Horizon Zero Dawn is mediocre with some polish.

You're playing Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon Zero Dawn?? Ghost of Tsushima is a once in 20 years gaming experience. Horizon Zero Dawn is mediocre with some polish.
HZD. I dont have a ps4.

I wouldnt call it mediocre as a game. Like I said, graphics, art and gameplay are cool for me. Story it's weak imo. I thought its gonna be better tho. It's a 8/10 for me. I expected a 9 or 9.5/10

HZD. I dont have a ps4.

I wouldnt call it mediocre as a game. Like I said, graphics, art and gameplay are cool for me. Story it's weak imo. I thought its gonna be better tho. It's a 8/10 for me. I expected a 9 or 9.5/10

I expected a 9 or 10 on HZD and find it closer to a 6.5 or 7. I really wanted to love this game. It seems like you're playing HZD on a PC?? Have you played Tomb Raider 2013, Rise of the Tomb Raider or Shadow of the Tomb Raider? If you like HZD at an 8/10 rating you'll probably enjoy the newer Tomb Raider Trilogy even more. HZD largely borrowed a lot from the latest TR Trilogy in it's gameplay style. They're nothing like the older trash Tomb Raiders from the 90's or 00's. I was shocked, TR went from one of the worst franchises to one of my top 3 or 4 with the latest titles alone.

I expected a 9 or 10 on HZD and find it closer to a 6.5 or 7. I really wanted to love this game. It seems like you're playing HZD on a PC?? Have you played Tomb Raider 2013, Rise of the Tomb Raider or Shadow of the Tomb Raider? If you like HZD at an 8/10 rating you'll probably enjoy the newer Tomb Raider Trilogy even more. HZD largely borrowed a lot from the latest TR Trilogy in it's gameplay style. They're nothing like the older trash Tomb Raiders from the 90's or 00's. I was shocked, TR went from one of the worst franchises to one of my top 3 or 4 with the latest titles alone.
Indeed I played them and I loved them, thats why they are a 9.5/10 to me. Anyway TR its more action, like shoter. Yes, it has stealth moments, but just a few. Here I'm basically 100% of the time in stealth. Of course you can do it Rambo style too, but it's almost impossible to me so I think the game wants you to make it stealth (kinda Deus Ex)

I also had really big problems with Horizon: Zero Dawn. I loved the opening few hours when you were within the home camp but as soon as you broke away from that and the open world structure of the game began it immediately collapsed for me. I explored a bit but kind of wanted to get on with the story and to do so, I had to really traverse some distance. I eventually reached this desert settlement to where the next story point was but I felt like I passed so much just to get here and felt a really big disconnect between me and the game - I had a similar experience with Final Fantasy XV when we were told one of the main objectives was to visit the ancestors tombs to gain power only for me to pass one by and learn they're not all story related.

I may give it another try down the line but Open world/sandboxes just aren't my thing.

Indeed I played them and I loved them, thats why they are a 9.5/10 to me. Anyway TR its more action, like shoter. Yes, it has stealth moments, but just a few. Here I'm basically 100% of the time in stealth. Of course you can do it Rambo style too, but it's almost impossible to me so I think the game wants you to make it stealth (kinda Deus Ex)

I can easily agree with you on the latest Tomb Raider Trilogy being a 9.5/10. If you ever have an opportunity to get a cheap PS4(I bought one just for Ghost and no regrets) or hopefully if Ghost of Tsushima makes it to PC I can't recommend it enough. I won't give away the story but if you like stealth and shooter(or in this case slasher with swords) this game is a perfect blend of both. The 'dishonorable' Ghost style for stealth, or the 'honorable' Samurai style for head on combat.

I also had really big problems with Horizon: Zero Dawn. I loved the opening few hours when you were within the home camp but as soon as you broke away from that and the open world structure of the game began it immediately collapsed for me. I explored a bit but kind of wanted to get on with the story and to do so, I had to really traverse some distance. I eventually reached this desert settlement to where the next story point was but I felt like I passed so much just to get here and felt a really big disconnect between me and the game - I had a similar experience with Final Fantasy XV when we were told one of the main objectives was to visit the ancestors tombs to gain power only for me to pass one by and learn they're not all story related.

I may give it another try down the line but Open world/sandboxes just aren't my thing.

I've obviously been pumping up Ghost of Tsushima so I'm going to recommend it again lol, if you want something to sink your teeth into it's great! I highly recommend the new Tomb Raider Trilogy as well if you're looking for a game that doesn't disappoint but has some of the highlight aspects of the open world of HZD. I hear you on the complaints with Horizon Zero Dawn. After being away from it for a day or two I haven't even given it a second thought until seeing this thread in my notifications. It's instantly forgettable. I did like Aloy, but outside of that the initial praise I gave it a few days ago is wearing off. Part of my income is selling video games so in theory the only reason I'd consider checking out the sequel is if I come across a used copy to sell and haven't had a chance to see what the PS5 graphics are about. I'd have no real interest in playing it beyond 15-20 minutes to just see what the next gen graphics are like as it looks to be possibly the best looking game graphically announced for the PS5 so far, sadly that also includes best looking game overall as nothing for launch on either new console is appealing as of now.

HZD. I dont have a ps4.

I had the opposite, story and Alloy as a character were the main draws the "open world" was super sterile and without anything on it really and it seemed more padding/marketing pitch of we have xxx km2 of map which by those dates were one of the biggest buzzwords of the industry.

I had the opposite, story and Alloy as a character were the main draws the "open world" was super sterile and without anything on it really and it seemed more padding/marketing pitch of we have xxx km2 of map which by those dates were one of the biggest buzzwords of the industry.
Well I'm not understanding why everybody loves Aloy so much. I'm in the begining of the main story (I'm doing a lot of exploration + sidequests + fucking crashes that lost my progressed stuff) and it's just an errand girl that does everything its told. I mean, this people gave you nothing, they mistreated you your entire life, you had to do something extremely dangerous so they let you into them (and they still kinda mistreat you) but you are gonna give your time and life for them? Only so they can tell you what's your past, even when they already know it and could tell you right now? I mean come on that's kinda an extortion.

But I dont think too much about it because I know it's just a kinda generic story, so I'm more about the gameplay and world. I know it's hard to be "open-mouthed" (is that a word?) with a main story of a videogame.

I can easily agree with you on the latest Tomb Raider Trilogy being a 9.5/10. If you ever have an opportunity to get a cheap PS4(I bought one just for Ghost and no regrets) or hopefully if Ghost of Tsushima makes it to PC I can't recommend it enough. I won't give away the story but if you like stealth and shooter(or in this case slasher with swords) this game is a perfect blend of both. The 'dishonorable' Ghost style for stealth, or the 'honorable' Samurai style for head on combat.
Yeah buying a ps4 it's not an option so I hope they release it on pc someday.

I got really bored with Ghost of Tsushima and spent about an hour searching for a game that might appeal to me. I settled on Shakedown: Hawaii, which is pretty much classic GTA crossed with an SNES-era game and a money management/Yakuza real estate component. I’m having a blast. It’s by the same guys who made Retro City Rampage, which I also really enjoyed.

Think I’m kind of burned out on epic-styled/open world games right now. I was playing the hell outta Crash and Sonic Mania before I picked GOT, and I gotta say I’m feeling the shorter/sillier games right now.

Well I'm not understanding why everybody loves Aloy so much. I'm in the begining of the main story (I'm doing a lot of exploration + sidequests + fucking crashes that lost my progressed stuff) and it's just an errand girl that does everything its told. I mean, this people gave you nothing, they mistreated you your entire life, you had to do something extremely dangerous so they let you into them (and they still kinda mistreat you) but you are gonna give your time and life for them? Only so they can tell you what's your past, even when they already know it and could tell you right now? I mean come on that's kinda an extortion.

But I dont think too much about it because I know it's just a kinda generic story, so I'm more about the gameplay and world. I know it's hard to be "open-mouthed" (is that a word?) with a main story of a videogame.

Well, Aloy is definitely not post 2013 Lara, regardless of the 'professional' critics praising her as being better. She's likeable even really likeable by the end but I wouldn't say loveable. Without any spoilers as you go along in the broken story in HZD you'll see more of her personality of questioning things and getting to the truth, but its no where near on par with the passion, emotion or humanity Lara has in the trilogy.

Been playing the warehouse demo for THPS 1+2 Remake, even though I’ve never really played a Tony Hawk game in my life. I have always loved watching skateboarding, but never really sprung for a video game. Saw the trailer for the remake, and thought I’d give it a chance. Last few days I’ve been pretty addicted to it, even though it’s only the demo. I did have a hard time figuring out the combo system at first, but I’m slowly getting the hang of it, and enjoying it immensely. I’m really looking forward to it’s release, I can’t wait to see the rest!

Been playing the warehouse demo for THPS 1+2 Remake, even though I’ve never really played a Tony Hawk game in my life. I have always loved watching skateboarding, but never really sprung for a video game. Saw the trailer for the remake, and thought I’d give it a chance. Last few days I’ve been pretty addicted to it, even though it’s only the demo. I did have a hard time figuring out the combo system at first, but I’m slowly getting the hang of it, and enjoying it immensely. I’m really looking forward to it’s release, I can’t wait to see the rest!
I'm actually quite interested in checking out this game too. Tony Hawk 1 in 1999 and Tony Hawk 2 in 2000 were both great! Easily the two best skateboarding games to ever come out. Tony Hawk 3 was good too, wish that would've been included in the reboot.

Well, Aloy is definitely not post 2013 Lara, regardless of the 'professional' critics praising her as being better. She's likeable even really likeable by the end but I wouldn't say loveable. Without any spoilers as you go along in the broken story in HZD you'll see more of her personality of questioning things and getting to the truth, but its no where near on par with the passion, emotion or humanity Lara has in the trilogy.
Pretty much this still a solid game but noehere the 9/10 it received, maybe around 8 or even 7.5.

Tenhou.net (Mahjong) -- Been playing a lot of Mahjong online against random people.

Fall Guys (PS4) -- I don't really go much for Battle Royale type games, but this one got its hooks into me for some reason. Maybe it's just the whole "Takeshi's Castle" vibe of it. But it's a lot of fun.

Modern Warfare (PC) -- Been playing a little bit of Modern Warfare online. Been in a bit of a brainless COD mode.

Persona 5 Royale (PS4) -- Still slowly working my way through. In no hurry to finish it.

I finished Horizon Zero Dawn/Frozen Wilds today, well sort of. It was a bit tedious but I played the entire main story until 2 missions before the end and couldn't sit through anymore of the gameplay so I ended up going to YouTube to watch the last 30 minutes or so of the game. I tried playing through Frozen Wilds as well and halfway through the first mission I ended up doing the same. My feelings are conflicted on Horizon and while it's still better than most of the video games I've played in the last 20 years, it just didn't do it for me. I was very open to loving this game but only came out liking it. It does most things well enough but nothing really great imo.

Aloy. While she wasn't as amazing as presented in the build up, she was a likeable character and I admire her passion and curiosity, it's the main thing that kept me picking up the controller every time I'd consider putting it down for good. 8/10

INDIFFERENCES:

The landscape. It's pretty and diverse and if you ever been in real life it's clearly Utah inspired(ontop of the UT references in the game)but it just didn't do it for me for some reason, I have no desire to go back and explore it after finishing the game. 7.5/10

Rost. He was interesting the first few minutes but the connection never seems to come to fruition between him and Aloy. 6/10

Sylens. The only other interesting character in the game next to Aloy, until you find out his motives and then it's kindve flat. 6.5/10

The story. While it had some really enjoyable moments and great dialogue along with thoughtful creativity, more often than not it was uninteresting and poorly executed and I cant help but feel it could've been written a lot better. Often times just as I was about to put the controller down for good it would give me a bread crumb of "oh wow! What's next??" it overall never stayed interesting most of the time and even in its conclusion it felt somewhat flat. 6.5/10

DISLIKES:

THE GAMEPLAY!! Worst part of the game and nearly ruined it if it weren't for Aloys character and the bread crumbs of story development. The tedious tasks of exploring the landscape overrun by machines with a horrible combat system that feels outdated and the physics are very much off. Combat doesn't fit the game style. 5/10

The robots. I didn't warm up to the robots at all, maybe cause it was 7 hours before I knew why they existed and why we were killing them? I never had a sense of wanting to fight them from a story line perspective, and the combat system made the play unbearable that I'd avoid them at all costs. It wasn't too hard or too easy, just not fun to engage combat. 5.5/10

The human bad guys. Lame lame lame. I expected to enjoy combat with the humans more and it was even less satisfying than the robots. 3/10

All of the other side characters outside of Sylens and Rost. Boring and dislikable. 4.5/10

Inconclusion, I wanted to love Horizon Zero Dawn and I thought that I would at least enjoy it in a 'video game kind of way' which means it doesn't have to strike me on a spiritual level or something super relatable/deep though I was expecting and hoping for that, I would've been ok with just something enjoyable, well written and basic fun but I couldn't wait to put the controller down on this one. Again, I wouldn't say it was bad, but there was enough bad things to take it from being great to just 'good enough..barely above 'above average'. I'd give Horizon Zero Dawn 7/10 overall leaning towards a 6.5 more so. In retrospect, I would have preferred to watch a 3 hour cutscene movie on YouTube of this game. As for the sequel I probably will watch it on YouTube, at best. This disappointment has nothing to do with other people's hype as I tend to not pay attention to others opinions unless I know their mind/interests/beliefs nor was it from coming off of the amazing Ghost of Tsushima. My feelings are based on my experience alone with Horizon.

Speaking of Ghost of Tsushima..time to get back to completing the side stuff :)

That was a very honest review! You gave it a go and you took your time. It's interesting to see how different peoples opinions are.
I actually liked the combat, a lot. But sometimes it was a complete mess when I had to fight too many robots at the same time. To me, Aloy felt too masculine and she aslo lacked personality. She also acted way older than she was. But still she was interesting and well designed. I think they will give her more of a personality in the sequel.

When I got my DC in 2006, I wanted THPS but didn't have the cash for it really.

Until I bought Calibur 2 months after (and then 'mue 1 month after that), easily the most-played game that I had of the 10 or so games, was the THPS demo in Warehouse lol.

Couldn't put it down.

Back