What are you playing?

Shenmue 3 is amazing. The most engrossed I've been in a game since Breath of the Wild, honestly.

About 40 hours into my first playthrough of Skies of Arcadia fannying about in the Dark Rift. Ugh...I hate mazes.

Dark Rift was... ok, for me. Probably the lowest point, outside of the first time you're in Lower Valua (near the beginning of the game). I was having trouble leveling up my party (this was my first serious foray into a JRPG in my life, outside of Pokingman on the GB) and almost rage quit... but I don't give up on games and the rest of the game went swimmingly.

You'll come out into Yafutoma, which is a beyond-awesome part of the game! :D

Still dabbling in Hitman 3. I’m three missions in and quite impressed with the scope and size of it. It’s not my first foray into this Hitman trilogy. I did dabble a little in Hitman 2 when it came out a few years back and I played a lot of Hitman Absolution on the PS3.

But yeah, Hitman 3 is pretty cool so far. Mission 2 had a cool detective element too it that I really enjoyed. Spent about an hour and a half combing every room in a mansion looking for clues to said Murder mystery.

Mission 3 got even better with the underground night club.

I honestly just love experimenting and finding the different methods to kill people in these games :) a lot of fun so far and quite enjoying it.

I've been playing Final Fight CD. I've gotten up to the 6th level but haven't been able to beat it yet. I'm still learning some of the ins and outs of the gameplay. Right now the biggest thing I'm struggling with is getting the "grab combo" hits in, followed by throwing the enemies in the direction I'd like. I always end up throwing enemies forward because I'm already walking forward as the grab happens, it just doesn't feel intuitive to stop pressing the D-pad so you can get extra hits in. It's also easy to get stuck in a loop where you take 4-5 hits in a row from an enemy, which is annoying.

It's still a pretty game awesome though, and I imagine I'll enjoy it more as I get better. The soundtrack is also great definitely using all of that Mega CD Power!

I completed the first Hitman game in the new trilogy not too long after it came out. To be honest, I wasn't a massive fan. Felt the game was a bit too scripted. Never bothered with the second game after I played the first level (brother purchased it) and felt it was again too scripted.

Randomly revisited it this week and completed it in 3 sessions. It was actually okay, I decided to ignore all the scripts and just go about it ad-hoc which made the game feel better. Only got stuck on the level where you had to kill the twin girls. Took one out but spent an hour following one in circles until I gave in and turned on the story hints thing.

Will give the third game a go.

I've been playing Final Fight CD. I've gotten up to the 6th level but haven't been able to beat it yet. I'm still learning some of the ins and outs of the gameplay. Right now the biggest thing I'm struggling with is getting the "grab combo" hits in, followed by throwing the enemies in the direction I'd like. I always end up throwing enemies forward because I'm already walking forward as the grab happens, it just doesn't feel intuitive to stop pressing the D-pad so you can get extra hits in. It's also easy to get stuck in a loop where you take 4-5 hits in a row from an enemy, which is annoying.

It's still a pretty game awesome though, and I imagine I'll enjoy it more as I get better. The soundtrack is also great definitely using all of that Mega CD Power!
Look at my, "Playing Now," under my avatar ;)

It took me 7-8 years and probably around 100 attempts, before I beat it for the first time; I haven't, NOT beaten it since, 217 straight times.

It's my favourite console game ever, so if you need any tips or have any questions, I can impart ;)

Look at my, "Playing Now," under my avatar ;)

It took me 7-8 years and probably around 100 attempts, before I beat it for the first time; I haven't, NOT beaten it since, 217 straight times.

It's my favourite console game ever, so if you need any tips or have any questions, I can impart ;)
Haha, nice. That certainly is encouraging for me, then. :crying:

I'm definitely open for tips, and thanks for the offer! I've been playing as Cody since I usually like playing as the balanced character in beat-em-ups. In general, my strategy has been to try to keep all the enemies on one side while trying to always throw an enemy into the crowd. Sometimes I'll do the jump + down attack to stun an enemy right as they get up.

I need to do better at getting a feel for the knee hits so I can do the combo punches (stun) -> grab-> knee -> knee -> throw to do max damage on an enemy instead of accidentally throwing them forward. Also, if I'm surrounded I'll use my special to prevent getting stuck in a damage loop. I discovered that my punching range extends a bit past my fist, so that looks like something that can work to my advantage and I have to get used to that, too. I also try not to stay on the same horizontal plane of the enemies and move up and down or diagonal as much as possible.

I suppose a few questions I have are:
  • Is it possible to get up faster after getting knocked down? I always get hit by Andore's jump attack when I'm on the ground. Also, I often get cheesed the the firecrackers that blow up near me before I even have a chance to get up and move.
  • Any general tips for the bosses, except for the first and last? (since I haven't played against the final boss yet and the first guy is pretty easy) Every playthrough I get one bad run against a boss and lose 3 lives or more.
    • I did a little better against "sword guy" last run, but that might have been luck. I think just tried to get out of his way before he did his charge attack, and I often ran up to him to hit him after he got up from taking damage.​
    • The army guy I'm not too sure how to attack, it seems it's impossible to avoid his wall attack and he does a ton of damage from the front. I try to move towards him at an angle to try to get a punch or throw in but I usually don't get there in time. Then I try to hit him at the point where he lands when he jumps down from that higher point, and I never hit him. When he's bouncing around I just try to stand still and punch and hope he runs into one.​
    • The cop guy I'm getting better at. I still get hit by bullets because he can get two sets of gunshots in by the time I'm able to throw one of the mobs at him, so by then he moves down to my horizontal plane and hits me. I know that you can pick up his gum to get some health back, too.​
    • The Andore clone painted face guy always seems to reach me, even if I feel I'm far enough away, but I can try to stay further away. If there's no one to throw at him, I'll use my special to break up his charge attack. Again, I try to make sure I'm not in front of him and approach him on a diagonal.​
And with that I realized I asked a ton, haha.

Haha, nice. That certainly is encouraging for me, then. :crying:

I'm definitely open for tips, and thanks for the offer! I've been playing as Cody since I usually like playing as the balanced character in beat-em-ups. In general, my strategy has been to try to keep all the enemies on one side while trying to always throw an enemy into the crowd. Sometimes I'll do the jump + down attack to stun an enemy right as they get up.

I need to do better at getting a feel for the knee hits so I can do the combo punches (stun) -> grab-> knee -> knee -> throw to do max damage on an enemy instead of accidentally throwing them forward. Also, if I'm surrounded I'll use my special to prevent getting stuck in a damage loop. I discovered that my punching range extends a bit past my fist, so that looks like something that can work to my advantage and I have to get used to that, too. I also try not to stay on the same horizontal plane of the enemies and move up and down or diagonal as much as possible.

I suppose a few questions I have are:
  • Is it possible to get up faster after getting knocked down? I always get hit by Andore's jump attack when I'm on the ground. Also, I often get cheesed the the firecrackers that blow up near me before I even have a chance to get up and move.
  • Any general tips for the bosses, except for the first and last? (since I haven't played against the final boss yet and the first guy is pretty easy) Every playthrough I get one bad run against a boss and lose 3 lives or more.
    • I did a little better against "sword guy" last run, but that might have been luck. I think just tried to get out of his way before he did his charge attack, and I often ran up to him to hit him after he got up from taking damage.​
    • The army guy I'm not too sure how to attack, it seems it's impossible to avoid his wall attack and he does a ton of damage from the front. I try to move towards him at an angle to try to get a punch or throw in but I usually don't get there in time. Then I try to hit him at the point where he lands when he jumps down from that higher point, and I never hit him. When he's bouncing around I just try to stand still and punch and hope he runs into one.​
    • The cop guy I'm getting better at. I still get hit by bullets because he can get two sets of gunshots in by the time I'm able to throw one of the mobs at him, so by then he moves down to my horizontal plane and hits me. I know that you can pick up his gum to get some health back, too.​
    • The Andore clone painted face guy always seems to reach me, even if I feel I'm far enough away, but I can try to stay further away. If there's no one to throw at him, I'll use my special to break up his charge attack. Again, I try to make sure I'm not in front of him and approach him on a diagonal.​
And with that I realized I asked a ton, haha.
You've got the correct strategy; personally, I don't bother with the stun, simply because if a group of enemies is a frame or two off, I'm stunning people, but once I'm on the ground, I get attacked immediately and if the attackers are Axl or Slash (who tend to block a lot of the flying stuns), you're in for a world of hurt, as they are the strongest of the mooks that don't have weapons. As well, keeping diagonally helps, as you can generally hit enemies, but they won't attack you. Smart!

Special is definitely being used by you, in the correct situations, however if you are in a potential combo loop by an enemy (getting stabbed by Hollywood/ElGato, punches from the low mooks or J/TwoP and punches from the Andores), use your special after just one hit; it will attack every time and hit, every time, not to mention that the health you lose from that, is equivalent to the health of the lowest attack, so it's more worth it to lose the same health, but get an attack in and live to fight another day.

But yes, when playing with guy or Cody, it's, "punch combo until the final blow-grab-knee-knee-throw," unless there's only one enemy on-screen, then I'll do 3 knees, as it would technically cause the most damage.

To answer your questions:

1. You cannot get up quicker, however if the Andores are going to splash/leg drop you (as he is a wrestler, using the appropriate terms ;)), just spam the special until you do get up and you will be ok.

For the Molotovs, since the weak Hollywoods only appear on-screen on their own, without enemies (save for 2 instances, right before the Sodom/Katana fight in Subway and after the bathroom, when 2 Js appear on-screen in Bay Area), it is best to stick on the same plane as one that runs onto the screen and either jump+kick or punch (kicking is easier, I find) the Molotov in the air, so that you are in the clear. For Industrial Area's fire, you need to stay on the plane you start the level with, then jump through the first set and simply walk through the second set, as the middle fires extinguish after a few seconds; if you don't do it in 1 sequence, however (IE: don't get hit and get there on time), the middle fires will not extinguish in a pattern and you'll lose chunks of life, guaranteed.

2. Boss Breakdown:

- Damnd/Thrasher: Indeed, very simple. All you need to remember is after he whistles, wait about 7 seconds or so and then when you see him on-screen, quickly move up or down a few panes; also, stay as far away from him as possible, in order to get enough time to move.
- Sodom/Katana: IMO, the hardest boss after Belger and it isn't particularly close, even with being one of 2 bosses that isn't a flunky (uses mooks to aid in the fight), out of the 6. Planes come into play here, more than any other boss; what you want to do is try to be a few planes below or above him initially, then grab him. Knee/Headbutt him until he drops one Masumune then before the third attack, throw/piledrive him so he drops the other and immediately, pick up one of the Masumunes. Then, stay just as far as you can range-wise and the second eh gets up and you're aligned, attack. NEVER GET TOO CLOSE, otherwise he'll charge you and immediately pick up a Masumune. If the timing is not on your side and you get up before he picks up the second one, he WILL charge at you with the one Masumune, which is his strongest attack. This strategy works well, however if after being knocked-down, he doesn't stand up right away (he's still hunched over and his model looks weird), just freeze until he charges you (because he will and he cannot be attacked while hunched over) and when he does charge at you, special him. I tend to lose a life against him every time, but I have probably gone about 25 times where he hasn't touched me.
- Edi E: The key is to get him running around BEFORE the mooks show up, which is not too difficult to do, but can be an issue if you aren't quick on your feet; unlike with the first two bosses, you need to constantly be moving, as when Edi starts running, he only uses his gun and if you are too far off the screen from him, you're pretty much dead meat unless you flukily time specials/attacks and there is a long line of mooks in his LOS. Start out by going after him immediately, doing the three knees/headbutts. Then move down a few planes and back up, a second or two AFTER he stands up (because if you are aligned with him when he gets up, he will get a hit in every time, guaranteed) and repeat the attack(s). If you get him into any part of yellow, he starts running and here is where you need to keep moving; he will only take out his gun and shoot, if you are about 2-3 characters away from him or farther, thus you need to constantly walk diagonally, wherever he goes on the screen. Luckily, he's not hard at all and he's the only boss that has a health pickup, during the match (his gum; only eat it when you need it!)
- Rolento: Many people consider him the toughest boss, but he is only as difficult as you play the previous section; if you are able to make quick work of the ElGatos, (pipe or Muramasa will do it) and get them to drop a bunch of knives, you just need to pick up knives and chuck them, until Rolento get into yellow. If you don't have a lot of knives, you need to grab him when he is stationary; if he is moving, he will stick you, jump off the wall or (worst), grab you. You don't want him to grab, because it puts you the most distance from him and if he moves, he will attack. Once in yellow and he does his fast-man shtick, just walk up an down on the same part of the screen (just changing planes), until he runs into you, then attack. Of course, avoid the grenades, but try to stick on the same line at all times.
- Abigail: My favourite boss! :D He's arguably the easiest boss in the game, after Damnd/Thrasher. There is only one rule to him: STAY ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE SCREEN AT ALL TIMES. When he turns red and charges, just move a few planes up, when he is 1/4 of a screen away from you and he'll swing and miss every time (he doesn't follow you if you move late-enough). Then grab him, attack, rise and repeat. Just stay as far away from him as possible and he won't grab you, ever.
- Belger: The hardest boss by far; the only chance you have for a clean, "grab and 3 attacks," is from the outset, in his wheelchair; after that, you need to have reflexes better than a cat, to attack him with a grab, because the grab literally lasts for (what seems like) a millisecond. He will never shoot his arrows unless he is on the same plane, like Edi E, so unless there are mooks in the way, just wait for him to come down to your plane and.. you can punch combo him! The first boss since Damnd/Thrasher that you can just sit back and pummel! When he does this, however, he shoots his arrows up and they WILL come down and hit you, thus after a few initial punches, move up a few planes and repeat. Sometimes, if you are enough frames away from him, you will be able complete a full combo and the arrows will miss you, but it's not worth the risk.

Good luck and keep trying; eventually, you'll break the walls down ;)

You've got the correct strategy; personally, I don't bother with the stun, simply because if a group of enemies is a frame or two off, I'm stunning people, but once I'm on the ground, I get attacked immediately and if the attackers are Axl or Slash (who tend to block a lot of the flying stuns), you're in for a world of hurt, as they are the strongest of the mooks that don't have weapons. As well, keeping diagonally helps, as you can generally hit enemies, but they won't attack you. Smart!

Special is definitely being used by you, in the correct situations, however if you are in a potential combo loop by an enemy (getting stabbed by Hollywood/ElGato, punches from the low mooks or J/TwoP and punches from the Andores), use your special after just one hit; it will attack every time and hit, every time, not to mention that the health you lose from that, is equivalent to the health of the lowest attack, so it's more worth it to lose the same health, but get an attack in and live to fight another day.

But yes, when playing with guy or Cody, it's, "punch combo until the final blow-grab-knee-knee-throw," unless there's only one enemy on-screen, then I'll do 3 knees, as it would technically cause the most damage.

To answer your questions:

1. You cannot get up quicker, however if the Andores are going to splash/leg drop you (as he is a wrestler, using the appropriate terms ;)), just spam the special until you do get up and you will be ok.

For the Molotovs, since the weak Hollywoods only appear on-screen on their own, without enemies (save for 2 instances, right before the Sodom/Katana fight in Subway and after the bathroom, when 2 Js appear on-screen in Bay Area), it is best to stick on the same plane as one that runs onto the screen and either jump+kick or punch (kicking is easier, I find) the Molotov in the air, so that you are in the clear. For Industrial Area's fire, you need to stay on the plane you start the level with, then jump through the first set and simply walk through the second set, as the middle fires extinguish after a few seconds; if you don't do it in 1 sequence, however (IE: don't get hit and get there on time), the middle fires will not extinguish in a pattern and you'll lose chunks of life, guaranteed.

2. Boss Breakdown:

- Damnd/Thrasher: Indeed, very simple. All you need to remember is after he whistles, wait about 7 seconds or so and then when you see him on-screen, quickly move up or down a few panes; also, stay as far away from him as possible, in order to get enough time to move.
- Sodom/Katana: IMO, the hardest boss after Belger and it isn't particularly close, even with being one of 2 bosses that isn't a flunky (uses mooks to aid in the fight), out of the 6. Planes come into play here, more than any other boss; what you want to do is try to be a few planes below or above him initially, then grab him. Knee/Headbutt him until he drops one Masumune then before the third attack, throw/piledrive him so he drops the other and immediately, pick up one of the Masumunes. Then, stay just as far as you can range-wise and the second eh gets up and you're aligned, attack. NEVER GET TOO CLOSE, otherwise he'll charge you and immediately pick up a Masumune. If the timing is not on your side and you get up before he picks up the second one, he WILL charge at you with the one Masumune, which is his strongest attack. This strategy works well, however if after being knocked-down, he doesn't stand up right away (he's still hunched over and his model looks weird), just freeze until he charges you (because he will and he cannot be attacked while hunched over) and when he does charge at you, special him. I tend to lose a life against him every time, but I have probably gone about 25 times where he hasn't touched me.
- Edi E: The key is to get him running around BEFORE the mooks show up, which is not too difficult to do, but can be an issue if you aren't quick on your feet; unlike with the first two bosses, you need to constantly be moving, as when Edi starts running, he only uses his gun and if you are too far off the screen from him, you're pretty much dead meat unless you flukily time specials/attacks and there is a long line of mooks in his LOS. Start out by going after him immediately, doing the three knees/headbutts. Then move down a few planes and back up, a second or two AFTER he stands up (because if you are aligned with him when he gets up, he will get a hit in every time, guaranteed) and repeat the attack(s). If you get him into any part of yellow, he starts running and here is where you need to keep moving; he will only take out his gun and shoot, if you are about 2-3 characters away from him or farther, thus you need to constantly walk diagonally, wherever he goes on the screen. Luckily, he's not hard at all and he's the only boss that has a health pickup, during the match (his gum; only eat it when you need it!)
- Rolento: Many people consider him the toughest boss, but he is only as difficult as you play the previous section; if you are able to make quick work of the ElGatos, (pipe or Muramasa will do it) and get them to drop a bunch of knives, you just need to pick up knives and chuck them, until Rolento get into yellow. If you don't have a lot of knives, you need to grab him when he is stationary; if he is moving, he will stick you, jump off the wall or (worst), grab you. You don't want him to grab, because it puts you the most distance from him and if he moves, he will attack. Once in yellow and he does his fast-man shtick, just walk up an down on the same part of the screen (just changing planes), until he runs into you, then attack. Of course, avoid the grenades, but try to stick on the same line at all times.
- Abigail: My favourite boss! :D He's arguably the easiest boss in the game, after Damnd/Thrasher. There is only one rule to him: STAY ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE SCREEN AT ALL TIMES. When he turns red and charges, just move a few planes up, when he is 1/4 of a screen away from you and he'll swing and miss every time (he doesn't follow you if you move late-enough). Then grab him, attack, rise and repeat. Just stay as far away from him as possible and he won't grab you, ever.
- Belger: The hardest boss by far; the only chance you have for a clean, "grab and 3 attacks," is from the outset, in his wheelchair; after that, you need to have reflexes better than a cat, to attack him with a grab, because the grab literally lasts for (what seems like) a millisecond. He will never shoot his arrows unless he is on the same plane, like Edi E, so unless there are mooks in the way, just wait for him to come down to your plane and.. you can punch combo him! The first boss since Damnd/Thrasher that you can just sit back and pummel! When he does this, however, he shoots his arrows up and they WILL come down and hit you, thus after a few initial punches, move up a few planes and repeat. Sometimes, if you are enough frames away from him, you will be able complete a full combo and the arrows will miss you, but it's not worth the risk.

Good luck and keep trying; eventually, you'll break the walls down ;)
@Tomato Convenience Store, for you :)

I DESPERATELY need a new controller; you'll see many times where I move in the wrong direction or, I don't move at all and just look like an idiot standing there.

Still, that's my Mania 1CC attempt and I 3CC it (TECHNICALLY, 2 CC, but whatever). Until I get a new controller, I'm going to shelve trying again, as the frustration was high.

My El Gato (NOT ElGato from Final Fight, lol) was screwing up the capturing process, for my Guy and Cody Time Attacks, so they are choppy, losing a ton of sections and play fast, plus the sound is off but they are just warm-ups and bragging pieces anyways, so not a big deal ;)

Also did a playthrough of Desert Strike on the Genesis; will be doing Jungle Strike in 3 level spurts, starting sometime this week :D

Started another run of the Re 3 Remake. This time on my ps5.
on my Xbox one S I play breakdown quite a lot.

And I play quite a lot arcade games on my Saturn. VF 2, Daytana Circuit Edition and Sega Rally.

I finished Yakuza 6. It was all right, though it's not as epic as Yakuza 2. Incidentally, what's with the black borders and frame rate slowdowns when playing the game? (The Yakuza fans online love to give Shenmue 3 shit for its shortcomings, but this game was personally financed by Sega, so it has no excuse.)

I'm just playing Yakuza Kiwami now. It seems to be a much better product than 6.

I finished Yakuza 6. It was all right, though it's not as epic as Yakuza 2.

Don't make me laugh.

Opinions are one thing, but even on the actual definition of Epic, I don't know how one can consider 2 more, "epic," than 6.

2 has the worst plot of the series from a writing standpoint and they shoehorn a love story into it, which is completely out of place and almost nonsensical.

Finally started up Spiritfarer and I’ve been enjoying it a lot more than I initially thought I would. It remains to be seen whether it can hold up for the remainder of my time with it, but so far it has impressed.

Perhaps my expectations were set a bit low as I was told it’s more like a visual novel, but there’s more to it than that, even if a lot of it seems kind of inconsequential. Fishing, farming, cooking, crafting, customizing your ship in a number of different ways. Some games might make these things tedious but I feel it has more to do with relaxing here, given the atmosphere. Love the character designs, art, music, animations. Not amazed of anything by the writing but it can be charming. Definitely not bad.

Don't make me laugh.

Opinions are one thing, but even on the actual definition of Epic, I don't know how one can consider 2 more, "epic," than 6.

2 has the worst plot of the series from a writing standpoint and they shoehorn a love story into it, which is completely out of place and almost nonsensical.

I play Yakuza for the gameplay and minigames; not because I think the series has the best storytelling in the industry.

I liked the original 2 because of how crazy it was. I haven't played its remake yet.

Like I said, 6 was all right. It wasn't a bad game, but it didn't grab me as the older titles did. I'd give it a 3/5.

I play Yakuza for the gameplay and minigames; not because I think the series has the best storytelling in the industry.

I liked the original 2 because of how crazy it was. I haven't played its remake yet.

Like I said, 6 was all right. It wasn't a bad game, but it didn't grab me as the older titles did. I'd give it a 3/5.
I think the Yakuza series, for me, ranks in a 5>0>7>2>1>4>6>3 as a whole. 6 and 3 really hurt themselves due to the clunk of the combat system, though. Going through 3 on PC at the moment, and along with the original Kiwami and 1, it's one of the titles that aged the worst. 5 should have ended Kiryu's story. The ending was perfect and just open enough.

Back