What are you playing?

lol icing is when the puck crosses 3 lines or so and reaches the opponent's endline (the red line, without getting touched), then gets touched by a non-goalie (if the goalie touches it, icing is waived off), which results in a face-off in your zone.

It is to deter constant dumping of the puck, in order to drain clock and keep your opponent from being in your zone.

I can't quite define it well, but I can recognise it no problem :)

On a slight side note, I still don't know why people love '94 so much; it is SLOW, clunky and literally every 16-bit NHL game that came after it, is SIGNIFICANTLY-better in every facet.

One of the many mysteries of 16-bit gaming (why it's beloved when it sucks compared to the games that came after).
Thinking back, I reckon it was either NHL '93 or the first EA NHL game that I acquired with the borrowed Megadrive. I remember buying NHL '94 for the SNES and being mightily disappointed with it on account of how jerky it was compared to the earlier Megadrive version that I had previously played. So if you thought the Genesis/MD version of '94 was clunky, I implore you, never try the SNES one!

And many thanks for explaining what icing is: I do get it now! (One of those things that seems almost mystifyingly esoteric, like offside in football or something, until someone properly explains it to you - cheers! :D)

No problem! :D

Yeah, after I wrote my post yesterday, I searched in Google, "what makes NHL '94 so great?" or something along those lines and people said:

- BECAUSE the movement of the players is very, "swoopy," and hard to control, it made it the best.
- Because EA (or whomever) created the one-timer for the game, it made it better (which, while useful, I rarely if ever use in these games).
- Yeah fights were removed, but fights were bad anyways!

I constantly saw this in reviews, message board posts, etc. and I just sat there dumbfounded; it is clearly and irrefutably nostalgia as to why people say it's the best, especially if that's the reasoning being given.

Alan Wake: Remastered (PS5)

I remember back in 2005 when Alan Wake was first unveiled as a fully open-world horror game with a day/night cycle where you explore the town in the day and hide at night, just like something out of the pages of I Am Legend. I thought it sounded like the coolest thing ever!

Then I played it in 2010 and learned that Remedy had ditched those ideas to make it a far more linear and scripted experience. It really soured my impression of the final game.

I'm now giving the game another shot with the remaster on PS5, but I still can't help wrestle the thought of what the game could have been. It got me thinking: knowing too much about a game's development really colourises your opinion of the final product regardless of its quality. Had I known absolutely nothing about Alan Wake's early prototype, could I have still enjoyed the final product as a solid psychological horror game?

Last edited:
Played Mind Scanners on gamepass (a Papers-please-like game). A wanted to buy it on steam but appeared on gamepass so couldnt resist it. I really enjoyed it

I've been playing Dreams a lot lately because I'm going through a gaming ADD rut and can't focus on anything with a big story or tons of gameplay systems to figure out. I really like it and think it's one of the most underrated games on the PS4. Yeah, it's full of junk, you can't get achievements for beating the games (actually, you can;' just in Dreams) and most of the experiences are short. That's not a bad thing. It's fun to log in, play a few interesting games created by people like me and go on with my night. It's a lot easier to scroll through the top 25 games of the month and try each out for a minute than spend even $1-5 on some somewhat interesting-looking indie game on the PSN, Switch, etc. marketplace. I sometimes even find something I like playing for an hour or more.

I hope Sony ends up continuing to support it on the PS5. The newest game Media Molecule made for it is quite a bit of fun, a pretty standard "difficult" high score hack and slash through dungeons, with combos and cute graphics. The game's retailing for $10-20 these days. Its value is really understated. I don't think I could ever get into developing games on it--takes too long and I don't even get paid for my trouble), but I bet it'll launch a few younger folks' careers. Some people just like creating stuff for the sake of creating! That's cool too. Much more basic tools led to greatness...

Last edited:
Looking back at the graphics of the original games really does make Shenmue all the more impressive. San Andreas was released in 2004, yet Shenmue looks infinitely better. For whatever reason I’d always remembered the original GTA 3D trilogy as having been not too far behind Shenmue in terms of visuals, but looking at the two series side by side today (even the remasters), it’s not even close.

Broader to Dreamcast as well: they clean up so nice whether native 480p or upscaled with anything budget or high end. PS2 leveraged the fact very little people owned or even gave a damn about anything better than dogshit 480i composite on a TV tube. Pushed polygons and particle effects without caring about texture compression or colors.

Also always notice in retrospect, the "huge worlds" of PS2 sandbox games were so poorly imitated. Similar to classic movies before CGI when practical effects used miniatures photographed to look life scale. Yakuza, GTA... they're adventure engines feel like toy-sized towns with tiny character models. Most open world games only look good in cutscenes on PS2 :D

Dead or Alive 6 - Went back to Dead or Alive 6 and got the platinum. Too bad the online sucks in that game. Would love to learn how to play it for real, but alas, the online is balls with its lag.

I am playing Halo Infinite campaign on the pc now thanks to crunchy roll that gave me 3 month for free on the xbox gamepass for pc So far I really enjoy the campaign. It looks good on my pc and plays nice. The new grappling hock is a really cool feature. It is also nice you can throw explosive items at your enemies now.

The only drawback I can think of so far is that the cut scenes do not look as good as in Halo 5. But that is just a small catch.

It is fun game as good as the other Halo games. I would not consider myself as a mega Halo fan I played all the main games from Halo 1 combat evolve to Halo 5 and always had a nice time. But I wouldn't consider Halo as one of my favourite series.

The fit into the list of nice games that I do not regret playing and finishing but I won't touch them ever again aber finishing.

I just finished the Final Fantasy VII Remake. It's been a long time since I was so engrossed in a game. Really enjoyed every bit of it, though I did not the get the role of Sephiroth towards the end of the game; who he was, why he was there and the history between himself and Cloud. Hopefully this is explained further in the next game.

Just finished 'Tell Me Why'. A really good story on dealing with deep grief, facing truth (or choosing to live in delusion) and processing life. Gameplay is a bit dry at moments but it doesn't stall or kill the momentum of the story telling. It's free on Xbox Game Pass too.

I started up Guardians of the Galaxy (PS5) and it's actually pretty good. Granted, it's going to take a back burner while I finish up playing Mass Effect 3 and all of its DLC.

I highly recommend it.

Okay finished RDR2

Loved it

But the ending is bs

Fucking bs

Idk what the hell they tried to do. I think they just rushed it bc they had to release the game.

Now I'll start FFVII Remake

Been playing some Far Cry 2 on my Xbox Series. In fact I first played it back in 2010 but never completed the game. Since then I keep coming back to it sometimes just to wander around and soak up the atmosphere. I just love the unique African setting and it's gorgeous vistas.

Picked up the Director’s Cut of Ghost of Tsushima. Loved the main story, but hated how much pointless crap was required for the platinum. To be fair, it’s nowhere near as bad as Lost Judgment in that regard, but it’s still way more than was needed. The main story and side quests were more than enough for me.

Back